Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 PM

13 posts, read 8,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Yes, but just focus on things you can control from here on. Hopefully you get hired for the state job. If not, file for unemployment immediately, especially since the benefits are much higher than normal due to the pandemic. And take it as a lesson learned. Never allow a prospective employer to contact your current employer, just leave your current employer's contact info blank.
Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Yes, lesson definitely learned. I can't be as honest as I want to be at times especially when it comes to work related business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,582,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
One guy I work with was working on his resume on our work computer. He even saved it to that computer.
Job searching, setting up interviews, using company resources, etc etc while on company time is pretty bad form.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 AM

13 posts, read 8,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
You can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, if you’re under “at will” employment.
Thank you. I read up on this and I am an "at will" employee.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:18 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,369,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingMusicStar View Post
Thank you. I read up on this and I am an "at will" employee.

Good to hear. It's good to have the freedom.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:02 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,811,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Good to hear. It's good to have the freedom.
It is good to have the freedom of being fired for any reason or no reason.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 AM

9,510 posts, read 8,586,813 times
So I think by now you fully understand that listing your current supervisor as a reference is a HUGE no-no, right? Even if they ask for it, you can simply leave it blank or most all applications ask if they can contact your current employer, to which you always always always state "NO."

The bookkeeping job doesn't sound like it has long-term prospects, not by a long shot. If I were you, I'd go back to her and let her know you didn't get the California job and that you're ready for more work, more hours, more training. If, by chance, you land the job, you can simply spin it by telling her that the CA employer hired someone else that didn't work out for them, and now they've offered you the job and you can give your notice right then.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,369,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post

More that it's good to have freedom to quit for any reason. It goes both ways.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:40 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,277,233 times
You are "at will" so you can get fired for any reason.

ANY REASON. Even no reason.

So you learned the hard way never to mention to anyone at your current job that you're looking for another job. Also, if new employer asks for reference checks, make sure it is not your boss.

What will happen is that your boss is now looking for your replacement. You may not find a job in time and you'll be likely to be out of work without a job.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 AM

9,568 posts, read 11,348,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Quote:
The employee is ALWAYS "at will" to quit for any or no reason. Almost everyone can do that, unless you're in the military or in another ironclad obligation.

"At will" employment means what BusinessManIT says: the employer has the power to terminate the employee for any or no reason.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:32 AM

9,510 posts, read 8,586,813 times
Quote:
We're not talking about a Chinese governmental position. This is the US, people have the ability to quit whenever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment