Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 02:11 AM

9 posts, read 4,531 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys. I've been at my current job since June. I want to know if you quit that job and take another, say a temp job or any other job; and you get fired at your new, current job...do you qualify for unemployment? What I mean to say is what a man told me once, say you worked job A for 6 months, you quit(with or without reason he said you need no reason) and then you get a job as a temp., Job B You work that job and say 1 month into this new temp job; you get fired. Job A actually has to pay your unemployment. I am really wondering if you would be covered, even tho you quit and then you work at that job for 1 day or 1 year, are you covered? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Why would job A have to pay your employment if you're fired from job B? You left. You took another job (full time or not), you're no longer tied to job A.

I think that's false info.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:57 AM

He was saying that in order to get "quick unemployment" or to be a dick, you could work the job you have and quit. Go get hired doing anything somewhere else and get fired for say...idk performance or something and since you've worked ENOUGH time at job A and it was job B that actually fired you, you would STILL get unemployment because you had all the time with job A. Maybe I confused it with who pays the claim. I think he was trying to say what I now just said.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
Why don't you call social service now and ask them about this situation, just tell them you have been fired from job B and you want to know if you are qualified for your unemployment benefit.
Personally, I do not think this is an honorable way to lead your life.

Last edited by Scott456; 11-16-2019 at 04:55 AM..

Old 11-16-2019, 04:41 AM

Well, because that is not an option. Like calling the cops to your vehicle after you've had 2 beers. I agree with you about honor. It is not right. But, in my defense I've worked since the early 90's and at twenty-ish I had a mental breakdown and still to this day suffer from mental illness. I can and will work as much as I can but it's also not honorable for me to have been treated by family the way that I have. I did not choose this and i wish it wasn't who I am. But, since it's not cancer or something you can see, touch and prove I've been looked at as maybe I'm just making this up. I only WISH I were

Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
There are people been thrown out on street by families and still survive. There are people in many part of the world starving and surviving. There are people with broken hearts but still strive and succeed. Plenty of examples but you are not one of them.
As far as mental illnesses, they can be diagnosed and be qualified for disability benefits when legitimate.

Last edited by Scott456; 11-16-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Apparently in NY it's possible. Because that was exactly my situation. Job B had to pay me unemployment.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:35 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBS77 View Post
He was saying that in order to get "quick unemployment" or to be a dick, you could work the job you have and quit. Go get hired doing anything somewhere else and get fired for say...idk performance or something and since you've worked ENOUGH time at job A and it was job B that actually fired you, you would STILL get unemployment because you had all the time with job A. Maybe I confused it with who pays the claim. I think he was trying to say what I now just said.
B pays the claim in NY and you got the credit from Job A.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Normally you could get unemployment. You have the required six months of work. The exception would be if you get fired for misconduct.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Two things at play.
1. What is the determining termination?
2. Whose account is chargeable?

1. The determining determination is based on the Last employment you worked. You could work for a company for 30 years, get laid off, take a job nothing job, get fired after 3 weeks and that last job's termination is the deciding factor in approval or denying of unemployment benefits. If the last employment termination was due to a disqualifying event, all your prior work means nothing.

2. As for which employer is chargeable; well they both are. The tax increase percentage and duration will lean towards the last employer but both will get dinged. However, any employer with a chargeable claim is free to appeal the changeability to an ALJ, BOR or sue in State Court to shift the burden to the other employer or onto the state (taxpayers) if successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment