Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 05:00 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times

Advertisements

My superior told me that everybody always attend to these events. When we were about to leave to the place, she said: "I went the last year and I got bored, goodbye, I refuse to go" and she ran to get her car and left the office. Next day, she avoided any conversation of this event.

I had to attend because my superior signed up a place for me, so I went, I finally didn't drink alcohol, just 2 cokes. The place was the classic cocktail bar, you had to stand, there was no place to sit, just the typical bar table, the only food available were canapes (I don't like them). The bar was crowded, you could barely move, and it was a nightmare to get to the bathroom. The music was a mix of oldies and popular songs. I got involved in some conversations, I noticed some people were bored, but still there, and I was only thinking about getting out of there. Alcohol was present everywhere, everybody speaking about the alcohol, some of my coworkers even got drunk (as I was told the next day). I thought it was enough for me at 17.00h and I left (I didn't even give any excuse LOL), others stayed up to 19.30h, and others even looked for other bars around to keep on drinking, some of them left at 01.00h. Next day at office, while bosses were not present, showed their photos and laughed at the situation at the office. You know: who got drunk, who danced drunk, who couldn't find his/her way to get home, etc...

A day to remember... (sarcasm). The only moment of fun for me was the moment when a guy tried desesperately to flirt with a woman and I knew, because she told me some weeks ago, that she has a partner (I'm married so I don't care about flirting). I was spying them being around them just to wait for the moment when the woman rejects the guy, but seems I left too early to witness such glorious moment. Other guys competed to drink more cups/alcohol, others (men and women) deflated while dancing. The following days at work will be everybody commenting this day, showing photos and laughing. Hopefully is Christmas time and we have some holidays...

I didn't know the details, I told you, but I was almost 100% sure what to expect, and I expected exactly what happened. This is Spain, what would you expect?, the country where alcohol is everywhere (you know we have more deaths caused by alcohol than by everything else?) and a country where getting drunk is as usual as nobody is surprised by it. Alcoholism is not taken seriously here I guess so people would only consider you an alcoholic if you are almost always drunk (even on mornings). I could count a guy with more than 8 drinks (wine and beer) and I remember you I left at 17.00h, imagine at the end of the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 03:36 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Oh for Pete's sake! You allowed your panties to get bunched into a wad for weeks before the stupid party and you are still complaining now that it's over and done with. Sounds like nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophesy. Nobody forced you into alcoholism did they? Why are you letting this control you? Trying to feel validated or something? Move on! An even bigger crisis is bound to show up.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:06 PM

596 posts, read 252,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
My superior told me that everybody always attend to these events. When we were about to leave to the place, she said: "I went the last year and I got bored, goodbye, I refuse to go" and she ran to get her car and left the office. Next day, she avoided any conversation of this event.

I had to attend because my superior signed up a place for me...
I don't know what that means n don't have to so why did I quote w.e.

In the future, if your instincts say you have to go, its acceptable to bounce after 30m. Just be aware if boss has something planned for you like awarding you a plaque or some ****. Optics still matter unfortunately in 2020.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:14 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times
I was just describing how it was. Overall it was a nice experience, I talked coworkers in a casual environment and I left soon so I had more free time than any other working days. That's all. I didnt drink as others did and they didnt tell me anything, so I think they are nice, not bullying at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment