Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,951,521 times

Advertisements

My holiday party sucked. I actually had to pay for my own alcohol!!!! This is a F500 company. They didn't even sponsor house beer...

They are really cutting budgets for anything outside of salary and benefits. If I want any perks I have to get them from our vendors.....And over a certain amount needs to be pre-cleared....

It all depends on if you're going to be there next year. Ask around if alcohol is sponsored....If not - Don't go LOL. That's the LEAST they could do for making you tolerate people for 3-4 additional potential hours!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 03:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,569,299 times
This can be a little tricky as each workplace has a different culture. At some places you'll literally be ostracized if you don't attend, at least without a very good reason. At others if you don't want to attend for whatever reason, no one will think twice about it. I've been in both types of situations and it's kind of hard to judge if you've just been there a month. However, I see no problem if you legitimately have an scheduled event, especially if the party is outside of working hours. I'd just say you have a scheduled event an won't' be able to attend. Assuming you have no problem attending the Christmas party if you're free next year, I don't see this being a problem. I'm lucky in a way in that our Christmas party is held during working hours but I never go because I don't want to. A lot of people don't go and nobody says anything.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:17 PM

20,775 posts, read 20,174,702 times
How many people are there? If it is small, it will be an issue IMO. At least be there for an hour or so.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,839,982 times
It's what I call a "career tax". Make an appearance at the party. Be seen. It's something you have to do to "go along".

Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 PM

17,672 posts, read 22,813,514 times
I read that one boss gave each of his employees $50,000 or more bonus, at the Christmas Party... hmmmm

Old 12-11-2019, 06:57 PM

6,570 posts, read 4,133,210 times
I think this is a question that would have to be answered by people with knowledge of your specific workplace and its culture. As you can see, you're getting a full range of answers here.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 PM

6,873 posts, read 11,707,179 times
OP has only been working there a month! People might not even realize he’s not there. I wouldn’t worry about it, but tell your boss you appreciate that the company is providing a party but can’t attend “this year” due to a prior commitment.

I think people get bad reputations for not attending Christmas parties when they are habitual no-shows and also refuse to go to in-office social events like birthdays, retirements or going-aways. Missing one time is not going to permanently brand you. Especially when if asked by co-workers and you telling them the truth in this case, and not being that guy who says “Hell no I’m not going to party with these MFs I work with.”

Old 12-11-2019, 08:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 587,035 times
A new hire not showing up at the party won't be noticed.

Unless it's a paid event, I wouldn't bother showing up.

If it's paid, show up for about 15 min with your to go box and fill it up for yourself and your spouse. Say hi to a few people then leave.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:46 PM

23,797 posts, read 19,691,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I think this is a question that would have to be answered by people with knowledge of your specific workplace and its culture. As you can see, you're getting a full range of answers here.
So true. If I'm not sure about the "culture" and whether I might offend by not showing up, I'll ask coworkers questions about what's expected, make some innocent comments about my "previous engagement" ahead of time, and then my regrets about being unable to get to know my new coworkers a little better. Segue into it by asking if sharing expenses, dishes, drinks might be expected. Ask my manager if departments plan or contribute to the event, then mention why I can't attend. You can sort of scatter the seeds ahead of time. By the time the event arrives, some people will understand.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:51 PM

8,950 posts, read 4,072,816 times
Most appear to be placing too much emphasis on one annual party (as if it takes precedence over one's work performance all year). The reality is most won't notice (or care) OP; it doesn't matter to your employer if you're there or not. Christmas parties are for the employees. That said, especially since you're new, it stands to benefit you (not your employer) in terms of giving you the opportunity to connect with people on a personal level as well as open the door to new professional contacts. Have a drink or two, if possible - then make an exit. If not, skip it - and work on your communication and social skills all year (where it probably matters more than at the party anyway).

The biggest mistake people make at Christmas parties is drinking too much - not the fact they didn't come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment