Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,879,513 times

Advertisements

Yes you were overreacting, he was just making conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,209,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
So we have a security guard at the corporate building I work at and always greets everyone with a smile. Today I left extra early for a doctor's appointment and he made a remark saying "leaving already?" and I replied with a confident "yup!". He then shook his and I replied "doctors appointment" as I was walking away and he said "ah I see, becareful out there!". (it was raining a lot).

For some reason I felt like it wasn't his place to say "leaving already?" and shaking his head. And I felt like I should have told him so but then I also feel like I'm overreacting. Lately I've been feeling this way, don't know why. I feel like I always need to be more assertive next time.

Thoughts?
People who work boring jobs always do this.

You check out at the grocery store and the person wants to comment on what you are buying etc......

I also don't like it when people put their nose into my business, but you will never stop people from asking you these type of questions or making a comment. People can't help themselves and some people are even pretty sarcastic about it and say things with a negative over tone to it.

Instead of just saying, have a great day or night, see you tomorrow..... lots of people, like this person, feel the need to make comments they shouldn't be.

Be confident in your choices, you don't need to justify your actions to this person at all.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,469,825 times
He's bored. Besides, it's his job too know when things are our of the ordinary. Sounds like a good security guy!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,955,819 times
Yes, you're overreacting because he was probably just trying to be friendly. Sometimes people just don't know what to say.

Or they're just trying to be funny. Like the elderly man in our office, who'd say Any luck? when he spotted someone exiting a rest room.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,172,276 times
Yes, you are overreacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Security guard needs to stay in his lane and not make dumb comments like that.

Let it go but next time he makes a smart and unprofessional comment, let.him know you don't appreciate his tone.
You certainly could do this, if you want to make sure the guard knows you are a jerk.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,538,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
He's bored. Besides, it's his job too know when things are our of the ordinary. Sounds like a good security guy!
Exactly.

Before I became a probation officer, I worked loss prevention. He was just looking for an excuse to say something probably.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,818,514 times
He was just making small talk. No big deal! Geez

Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 AM

10,033 posts, read 7,971,516 times
Yes, you're overreacting. Why wouldn't you want to speak with another human being, who cares what position they work?

When you say you need to be more assertive, what does that mean? To be more friendly or to tell him not to talk to you?

And as others have mentioned, good security is not just standing there being silent. They need to know what's going on, who is who, notice unusual behavior, etc. They communicate with other members of the team and select management inside the building.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 PM

480 posts, read 322,943 times
I would have said " yeah, but don't let anyone know!" . And then chuckle with him.

An example of 'small talk' that is simply filler.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM

554 posts, read 628,564 times
We had a security guard like that at our building. I can see it both ways that he is trying to be friendly but sometimes it can come off as nosey. The security guard at our building was always asking inappropriate questions as well. He eventually got fired because people's cars were getting broken into in the parking lot. Obviously while he was in the employees business he should have been watching the parking lot and doing security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment