Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,000,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Machinist. Welder. Have you ever worked in a factory? If you have this "leadership experience" you could potentially work up to a foreman/line leader position. How's your math and science, you could train as a mechanical inspector; calibration technician. How about income tax preparation? Not really a year round job but from now till May it's pretty hot, I imagine. How long does it take to train with Block or someone equivalent?
I worked in warehouses and have a forklift license, also graduated from technical high school with ASE certifications. But I'm to rusty to become an auto technician, it would take a couple years with little pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Trades, assistant manager in a store, custodian, car sales, landscaping.
I wouldn't mind having a grading business. I couldn't afford heavy equipment but would rent one if I saw a big demand in the area.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM

79 posts, read 42,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
My background is booking travel (ended 7 years ago) and ecommerce business (fired after 7 years for non-work related reasons). Never work in a family business with zero ownership.

I've also worked less glamorous jobs like bathing disabled and laboring away at other places. I never been fired from a job until now, I have a good attitude and work ethic.

So I'm moving to Washington this month, north of Seattle if not by the Canada border near Vancouver. I want to make at least 50k with room to advance, anything less I rather not waste my time since I will have a family to support.

Ideas for me please? I'm 32 today, no college degree but leadership experience.
Whats wrong with Truck Driving, its the shangrila of employment, you can sit on your a#$$%, and earn over a 100K/year, visit those vacation spots called truck stops, and those great hotels right next door, and don't forget the lot lizards

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are being awfully inflexible and specific for someone with zero leverage. "To be near family" is non-negotiable? Unless your family is helping out with bills who cares. If my immediate family was not in NYC and wanted me to move to Dunedin FL (A sh** hole in which I have distant relatives in) I would have my hand out and expect a car and some cash to get started until I could get my footing there. Blood is thicker than water but not more important than a fist full of Benjamins. We need money and resources to eat and survive. Family helps you survive. Are they helping you get established in the area? If not, don't move.

We are the same age cohort. What were you thinking when you did Travel Booking for 7 years? You should have never gotten into that industry in the first place. If I recall correctly Expedia was around before I turned 18. We grew up with the internet. You should have known that industry was going nowhere but the way of the dinosaur.

As far as the eCommerce thing that could help but you won't be competitive in Seattle. You will be competing with people who have Corporate eComm experience either in the Bay area relocating to Seattle or Seattle natives with college degrees. The opportunity cost for you to go back to school and compete in that arena at this point with child in tow (and a dependent Wife?) is just too high. It's not worth it.

The problem is you got into a field where they often demand someone have a Bachelor's degree unless you have 20 years experience at prominent Fortune 1000's already. In big cities you won't have a chance. In smaller towns you may get lucky, but I don't think Washington state will be one of them. You'll need to be in states like Arkansas, Mississippi where young talented people with degrees are not going to in droves. They'll make concessions there because they know Texas A&M Business grads are not lining up to go there.

You're going to have to be much more flexible with your location. And given no degree you can't hack it in Canada.

My question is why you both decided to have a baby in this situation. How much money do you have saved in the bank? Is your family going to be helping out with the child?

There are a couple of unknowns here, but you're working from a big disadvantage. Seattle is a rough job market I've worked with several folks out of the Portland and Seattle offices of my company (and the last company I was at as well) and they generally stay put. There aren't many options even for qualified candidates with an MBA that pay well. You've got the FANG companies a handful of other mid-sized stand outs or some start ups. And they all want the top talent.

Also I hope you are White or Asian because if not, you're going to have an even harder time at it in PNW area in general.

I'm sorry I'm being harsh. But obviously no one was harsh enough on you earlier in life. My parents/grandparents would not allow me to be in your situation. It was either college, the military or local government. If I didn't get into a good school I would probably be about 15 years into a government job or the military by now. It was assumed there was no surviving in the private sector for my generation without a degree. There was no dilly dallying in sh** work allowed. A lot of forum posters will say you are young but you're my age and I'm thinking - I don't have it made and STILL paying dues and taking sh** from Boomers and Gen Xers almost 10 years into my career and this is WITH a degree and solid experience and you don't have a pot to **** in. You've got a long road ahead man. Your best bet is national guard maybe as you mentioned but I am warning you no matter shape or ASVAB score because you have no degree + your age you are not as desirable.
It's nonnegotiable for reasons I won't get into, but I look forward to it.

I did ecommerce for 7 years, not travel. The travel was for a military contract my family won, not leisure travel. We have plenty saved so I'm in no rush to jump into anything. I'm white and east indian, but so what? Your parents obviously raised you differently (perhaps with more care), but I have an amazing wife and no more dead family weight (from my side) dragging me down. Thanks for the information.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckem View Post
Whats wrong with Truck Driving, its the shangrila of employment, you can sit on your a#$$%, and earn over a 100K/year, visit those vacation spots called truck stops, and those great hotels right next door, and don't forget the lot lizards
You're right. The 100k is a long shot but within the realm of possibility. I always loved eating at the iron skillet and driving at night while listening to conspiracy radio until the government cuts the channel off and spotting UFOs in the distance as I drink an ice coffee listening to Bob segar.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,903,722 times
Quote:
My background is booking travel (ended 7 years ago) and ecommerce business (fired after 7 years for non-work related reasons). Never work in a family business with zero ownership.

I've also worked less glamorous jobs like bathing disabled and laboring away at other places. I never been fired from a job until now, I have a good attitude and work ethic.

So I'm moving to Washington this month, north of Seattle if not by the Canada border near Vancouver. I want to make at least 50k with room to advance, anything less I rather not waste my time since I will have a family to support.

Ideas for me please? I'm 32 today, no college degree but leadership experience.

Without experience or a college degree very few jobs will pay 50k. Police force may be one, prison guards another, US Postal Service (but they start at about 35k) with opportunity to move up.

WA is also expensive so that's working against you.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:55 PM

17,266 posts, read 57,407,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are being awfully inflexible and specific for someone with zero leverage. "To be near family" is non-negotiable? Unless your family is helping out with bills who cares. If my immediate family was not in NYC and wanted me to move to Dunedin FL (A sh** hole in which I have distant relatives in) I would have my hand out and expect a car and some cash to get started until I could get my footing there. Blood is thicker than water but not more important than a fist full of Benjamins. We need money and resources to eat and survive. Family helps you survive. Are they helping you get established in the area? If not, don't move.

We are the same age cohort. What were you thinking when you did Travel Booking for 7 years? You should have never gotten into that industry in the first place. If I recall correctly Expedia was around before I turned 18. We grew up with the internet. You should have known that industry was going nowhere but the way of the dinosaur.

As far as the eCommerce thing that could help but you won't be competitive in Seattle. You will be competing with people who have Corporate eComm experience either in the Bay area relocating to Seattle or Seattle natives with college degrees. The opportunity cost for you to go back to school and compete in that arena at this point with child in tow (and a dependent Wife?) is just too high. It's not worth it.

The problem is you got into a field where they often demand someone have a Bachelor's degree unless you have 20 years experience at prominent Fortune 1000's already. In big cities you won't have a chance. In smaller towns you may get lucky, but I don't think Washington state will be one of them. You'll need to be in states like Arkansas, Mississippi where young talented people with degrees are not going to in droves. They'll make concessions there because they know Texas A&M Business grads are not lining up to go there.

You're going to have to be much more flexible with your location. And given no degree you can't hack it in Canada.

My question is why you both decided to have a baby in this situation. How much money do you have saved in the bank? Is your family going to be helping out with the child?

There are a couple of unknowns here, but you're working from a big disadvantage. Seattle is a rough job market I've worked with several folks out of the Portland and Seattle offices of my company (and the last company I was at as well) and they generally stay put. There aren't many options even for qualified candidates with an MBA that pay well. You've got the FANG companies a handful of other mid-sized stand outs or some start ups. And they all want the top talent.

Also I hope you are White or Asian because if not, you're going to have an even harder time at it in PNW area in general.

I'm sorry I'm being harsh. But obviously no one was harsh enough on you earlier in life. My parents/grandparents would not allow me to be in your situation. It was either college, the military or local government. If I didn't get into a good school I would probably be about 15 years into a government job or the military by now. It was assumed there was no surviving in the private sector for my generation without a degree. There was no dilly dallying in sh** work allowed. A lot of forum posters will say you are young but you're my age and I'm thinking - I don't have it made and STILL paying dues and taking sh** from Boomers and Gen Xers almost 10 years into my career and this is WITH a degree and solid experience and you don't have a pot to **** in. You've got a long road ahead man. Your best bet is national guard maybe as you mentioned but I am warning you no matter shape or ASVAB score because you have no degree + your age you are not as desirable.

Indeed. OP you say you are smart but your family situation and lack of a degree or serious vocational training suggest otherwise.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,479,782 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of becoming a national guard reservist, for something part time. They would probably take me since I'm fit and smart.
That's an excellent idea! I did 9yrs active, then 20 yrs guard. There are lots of jobs in a guard unit from auto mechanics (including diesel) to firefighting, to aviation maintenance, logistics, medical. Finance, security, communications, Intel, all the trades including heavy equip operator, environmental, emergency mgmt. FLIGHT CREW. (You did say air guard, right?)

Depends on what openings they have but it's a great way to learn a trade. Some career fields would require certification on the outside (phlebotomy for example) if you wanted to do that on the outside.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Indeed. OP you say you are smart but your family situation and lack of a degree or serious vocational training suggest otherwise.
I don't have a child yet. I do have vocational training, but I don't count it. I have a lot of training but won't count it all as "professional" since I want to keep it in the past.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That's an excellent idea! I did 9yrs active, then 20 yrs guard. There are lots of jobs in a guard unit from auto mechanics (including diesel) to firefighting, to aviation maintenance, logistics, medical. Finance, security, communications, Intel, all the trades including heavy equip operator, environmental, emergency mgmt. FLIGHT CREW. (You did say air guard, right?)

Depends on what openings they have but it's a great way to learn a trade. Some career fields would require certification on the outside (phlebotomy for example) if you wanted to do that on the outside.
I would jump into active duty military in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the unknown of where I'll be stationed. I have a couple years to decide but right now it's not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment