Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:37 PM

24,999 posts, read 9,753,617 times

Advertisements

OP, you should learn some type of trade skill or work at some type of government job

Easy money and you're still young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM

9,568 posts, read 11,333,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if i was starting out again and young, I would get a helper job for an electrician, plumber or hvac. Once you get the skill you could move to any town you want and get employed
Indeed. The skilled trades are begging for apprentices, often paid and with schooling paid. Elevator/escalator installation/repair is one of the top paying ones at this point.

Michigan often advertises for pipefitters, begging for apprentices.

Join the military.

Look for a job in government, state or federal.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 998,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What did you actually do in ecommerce? What is your leadership experience? Where you making 50K before?
Webstore, amazon and other online portals, for a patented product that exploded and continues to grow double or triple fold each year, though I don't expect this company to continually grow like this since I left it. I was making 50k for the past year until I was fired. I managed everything from customer service to international expansion to bookkeeping, manufacturing, inventory management and obviously a certain level of web skills were acquired.

We're moving to this part of the country to be near other family, it's non-negotiable, I didn't choose this region out of a hat.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
OP, you should learn some type of trade skill or work at some type of government job

Easy money and you're still young.
I'm thinking of becoming a national guard reservist, for something part time. They would probably take me since I'm fit and smart.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Up that way the median family income is not much more than $50k. Once you get beyond the commutable range of Seattle the incomes drop significantly. For example, median family income in Marysville is only $67k, Arlington $66k, Bellingham is $44k, Blaine $64k. The jobs that pay $50k and up there would require significant education and skills, with a lot of competition. Here in Seattle the median is $121,000. The lowest paying person on my staff starts about $53,000, but it requires 2 years college and 3 years experience, and that pay means a small studio apartment or roommates, not enough for a family.
I'm aware, that's why I'm asking on this forum for ideas.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You must have a bachelors degree to move to Canada if you are a US citizen.

To the OP, you need to move to an area that has high paying jobs you don't need a four year degree for. $52K at 32 with no real skills (bathing disabled? No.) and no education isn't realistic.

You are young enough to go back to school.

Look into being an au pair or nanny while in school.
I would never move to Canada, and yes I'm aware of all the immigration laws as I married a Canadian.

Don't knock bathing disabled, if someone is bathing you can be sure they're doing many other things, and under a non-profit funded by the government, don't knock it. Though I wouldn't want to do that again.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
So, you're moving to WA State this month, with $50K salary needs. Why there, nothing except Blaine, Pt. Roberts, Bellingham, and not a lot else on the U.S. side. The metropolis that is greater Vancouver on the other side is a sight to see, in contrast, with suburbia running up to the US border last I checked. The US side: where people go to attend college, or live a rural life as retirees, or own farms. I guess they live in Pt. Roberts to drink beer, run shady import/export, and generally annoy the Canadians less than a mile away. I'm mildly surprised we don't hold a summit and have them annex everything to the 48th parallel for a few miles east of Sumas, actually, in return for maybe a barrel of flour, sack of dried red beans, and 4,000 cases of beer as payment to WA State.

At least it's a cheaper part of WA, if not "cheap" per se nor is anything else on the I-5 corridor, obviously. Median home values in Bellingham are on the rise, I see. Not surprising, spillover from Puget Sound Area, which is where people with skills and drive prosper and losers complain endlessly that they can't compete.

So...why would one move a "family" to some dull if not exactly depressed part of the United States? What is the game plan to obtain a job that pays $50K and up. Good luck with that, with sketchy employment record of termination and zero relevant education?
If only you knew half of what you're talking about...

Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
What about working on a fishing boat? The hours are long and the risks are there, but most pay well if the boat does well and you'll have ample time off in the off season to possibly work somewhere else.
Thanks, I will consider it.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM

149 posts, read 105,725 times
How about firefighter or police officer? Some jurisdictions require an AA/AS degree, but many just require a high school diploma or GED. Must have a clean record though.

Or, firefighter for the U.S. Forest Service.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,199,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
My background is booking travel (ended 7 years ago) and ecommerce business (fired after 7 years for non-work related reasons).

You have experience booking travel, but you don't want to go into truck driving, and you will be living near an e-commerce hub adjacent to an international border and a major shipping port.

You should look into becoming a freight broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment