Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:54 AM

838 posts, read 573,127 times

Advertisements

I am in the same boat as you, I was in a Customer Service position which took a severe toll on my mental health.
After taking a LOA for a few weeks i stupidly enough decided to resign, Now for the past three-months i've been in debt applying for hundreds of jobs and going to interviews only to have my time wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 AM

838 posts, read 573,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Head to Home Depot or the like each morning, and see if you can get physical labor job , at any rate they are willing to pay.
I disagree with this advise not only are you at risk of being ripped off but also you have no benefits/coverage if anything was to happen during this job. Lets say you fall & break your leg while helping someone move, Now you're not only hurt, unemployed but also left with a hospital bill and in worst shape than before.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:30 AM

34,319 posts, read 17,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I disagree with this advise not only are you at risk of being ripped off but also you have no benefits/coverage if anything was to happen during this job. Lets say you fall & break your leg while helping someone move, Now you're not only hurt, unemployed but also left with a hospital bill and in worst shape than before.
OP had $10 as of a few days ago. (see post 9 on his thread)

Precisely how long do you think the OP can make that last?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,434,699 times
Do Uber and UPS warehouse. Then make a plan for something better.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM

82 posts, read 63,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I can't possibly be the first to wonder about your username...
I make mistakes so I can teach the youth on what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
No, not in the least.

I was once talking to an acquaintance some years ago, and it came up in the conversation that she was entering a mentorship program.

Considering that this person has always been a bit scatterbrained, with few discernible skills and developmentally stunted from a professional standpoint, not to mention financially illiterate (although she's gotten better about that in the past few years), I found myself silently asking the question, "This mentorship program...are you enrolling as a mentor, or a mentee...because at this point, if you are to be the mentor, I would have to have considerable sympathy for your protege'."
Good people make bad decisions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanch5 View Post
I once felt that way myself. I thought I'd hit the lowest of the lows. But that didn't mean I could've stopped. Searching for Jobs on Indeed.com help a lot. Even though I had to apply to over 25 jobs a day and went to so many interviews there was one that stuck and thankfully it did because I'm now doing something I enjoy. Definitely think if you haven't to try the website out and see where it takes you. I believe something would stick for you too.
Yeah, Indeed is good, more so if you have a skill. Even better if you have a college degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
College isn't a must. My son didn't finish, but he can fix just about anything, and I mean anything. He's fixed my cars, computers, and major appliances. He and a friend taught themselves how to weld.

You have an English test coming up. Good luck.
I Know how to fix thing as-well. But the fact of the matter is, if you don't have a certificate/degree in something you're not gonna be first choice. I'm in the process of learning code but even if I become good at it, someone with a degree in web dev. will get hired because they have authentication(degree).

And thanks I will do my best.

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you, I was in a Customer Service position which took a severe toll on my mental health.
After taking a LOA for a few weeks i stupidly enough decided to resign, Now for the past three-months i've been in debt applying for hundreds of jobs and going to interviews only to have my time wasted.

Thats make me upset the most. People will call you for an interview act like they are going to hire you but never do. Im like "I HAVE BILLS, STOP WASTING MY TIME!!!!!" but no one owes you anything is what I have to remind my self.

Quote:
Most jobs are crap when it comes to benefits now days, either that or its too high to afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Do Uber and UPS warehouse. Then make a plan for something better.
Which is better, Job hoping or employment gaps?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,434,699 times
1. Do the morning shift at UPS which is like 4am to 9am. Can qualify immediately for tuition reimbursement and 401k, after some months you'll get 100% paid health insurance.
2. Job hunt/interview during the day or take a college course.
3. Do Uber in the evenings.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM

33,109 posts, read 36,871,949 times
I'd love to not like you, but I just can't.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,044,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser

I make mistakes so I can teach the youth on what not to do
Very generous, in a self-flagellating, social guinea pig sort of way, I guess.

I got a good piece of advice from another person a long time ago. He said, "Milton, it's not going to be enough to merely learn from your own mistakes. You have to learn from the mistakes of others as well, because you're sure as hell not going to live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself."

I guess my wise friend's advice to you would be: "You're not going to live long enough to make sufficient mistakes for everybody else to learn how not to do things. Your time would be better spent if you let others make some of the mistakes for you, and then you learn what not to do from them."

Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM

91 posts, read 84,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser View Post
I have 10 bucks to my name.

Ehh, To be fair most of them clear 6 figures easily. Let them tell it its not that bad of a job.

I'm not a homosexual.

I'm not trolling. A lot have changed since my move to NYC. Didn't think I would be unemployed this long.
I grew up in NYC. Got my Bachelor's and moved back in with my parents and was unemployed for close to 3 years, minus a temp job I did for 6-8 weeks and a stipend I received last summer for an otherwise unpaid internship. Felt depressed and trapped for most of that time.

It's one of many reasons I left NYC. Bachelor's are often considered worthless but beyond that- just for comparison - I started taking grad courses for a certificate program in spring 2017. Got a PT min wage job in fall of 2017 (to give a rough timeline, I finished undergrad end of 2014 which is where my 3 year estimate comes in). I still would get rejected even for things like sales associate or other basic entry level jobs while taking grad courses and having a more specialized background (not to mention another unpaid internship I'd been doing for almost 4 years...). Apparently, you need to have years of experience in even those types entry level, retail types of jobs to qualify.

My min wage job was at a poorly run little company that no one wanted to be at but we needed the money, most of us because we were apparently worthless to society college grads. And where i do have experience they typically look for a Master's so I really dug myself into a hole by pursuing my interests in a sense.

Relocated to finish out a Master's. I've been here about 5 weeks now, school's been going on for 4 (when more opportunities started coming up) and received a job offer on campus last week. I don't know how much of it has to do with moving and how much with just being enrolled in a grad program on paper. But I will say I found a job that pays higher than NYC's min wage (which is also higher than min wage here due to lower COL), in a matter of weeks. Whereas the closest I got pay-wise in NYC was that temp job and it wasn't very relevant to what I wanted to be doing. It involved knocking on doors in the projects and asking people if they wanted to take a survey... and I think you can see where I'm going.

So I do sympathize with OP. I do believe NYC can be form over function when it comes to employment (among other things), which makes it challenging for those who have a more meritocratic as opposed to image-based (e.g., "how do I look the part and say all the right things to impress the interviewer and show how unique I am?") orientation.

ETA: BTW, people do "gay for pay" (as in, they're not actually gay), but I get where you're coming from, OP, I can't get my head around how people do it myself.

Last edited by NinjaHitsAWall; 09-19-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,358,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
OP had $10 as of a few days ago. (see post 9 on his thread)

Precisely how long do you think the OP can make that last?
Until whoever is taking care of him gets fed up (if a relative, that will be a long time).

Not sure why OP posted and asked for help. He's not taking any suggestions seriously and not in any hurry to earn money. May be getting unemployment while playing on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment