Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,008 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I currently live in Tennessee but are planning on moving to Norman, OK in a few years so I can resume my college work at OU.

What we're wondering is, is it common for employers to hire out of state candidates? My wife is a PTA (physical therapy assistant) and she's unsure if she should bother applying for jobs in OK shortly before we move, or would employers shy away from her since we're not officially residents of the state just yet?

We're both a little uneasy moving to a new area without jobs. It's unnerving moving so far away and hoping something comes available after we get there. It'd be nice (and reassuring) knowing that at least one of us will have a job once we get there.

Thanks for the help!

--Steven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 06:12 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
The answer is "it depends." Is there a shortage of PTAs in Norman, OK? It is a hassle to hire out of state candidates for positions that can be filled with local talent, which is why most employers won't bother with it.

Just reread your post. Nothing wrong with applying shortly before you move. I would note that I was moving to the area and would by a resident of Norman effective X date.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Apply a few months before you move. Use a local address if you can on your resume to gain the appearance of being local, it should boost your chances of getting interviewed if that is something they take into account. If questioned at the interview, "I'm staying with family now here locally" should be your response. I would say use a local phone number too but in today's day and age that really doesn't matter any more. But you can usually create a Google Voice account with a local area code if you really want to be certain. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
It really needs to be a high skilled job or a booming job market. I can't imagine Norman being booming. If you had a high up job at OU, that would help.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
If you have the skills and background they need, sure, they'll hire anyone.

You won't know until you apply.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 AM

326 posts, read 199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

This.

I work a skilled trade (CNC machining) and I was hired in 2011 while living on the east coast. I did paperwork via email... drug tests locally and a few Skype interviews.

Probably wouldn't have happened if I worked the night shift at Walmart.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

This.

I think the biggest thing is communicating to them that you aren't going to be a headache candidate. I would write a cover letter to explain why I'm moving, when, and how I plan on facilitating the interview process so they can make their evaluation and get me started on a mutually-agreed date. You can't assume this stuff... if you don't spell it out, they're going to assume you're going to be all delays and "I missed my flight" and "Got held up with the movers" or whatever. If you show them how you're going to be where needed and when, they don't have a lot of reason to pass you over just because you aren't local yet.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This.

I think the biggest thing is communicating to them that you aren't going to be a headache candidate. I would write a cover letter to explain why I'm moving, when, and how I plan on facilitating the interview process so they can make their evaluation and get me started on a mutually-agreed date. You can't assume this stuff... if you don't spell it out, they're going to assume you're going to be all delays and "I missed my flight" and "Got held up with the movers" or whatever. If you show them how you're going to be where needed and when, they don't have a lot of reason to pass you over just because you aren't local yet.
They do. Their own convenience.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,008 times
Thanks everyone!

You've all been really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment