Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:08 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times

Advertisements

CD Members,
I'm looking at a job with a local police dept. Any ways this question may seem funny. I'm dead serious when I ask this. I'm 19 and I'm getting my braces put on Wednesday. I'm just wondering, the job that I will be applying for is one that deals with the public. I just wonder if anyone would take me serious when I'm in uniform and on the job? The job is seasonal April-September. I would do most of my work on foot.

Maybe it's my self confidence?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
If you are clean and neat and show some self confidence and demonstrate good character and fairness, the braces won't matter.
In fact, the braces will show that you are willing to have some discomfort now to improve yourself in the future.
That is a good thing.
If anyone should comment, that just means they don't have the guts to do what you are doing. Take any insulting comments with a grain of salt.
Stand up straight, be proud, and do your job.
The braces will come off one day. Confidence and charactor can last forever.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
CD Members,
I'm looking at a job with a local police dept. Any ways this question may seem funny. I'm dead serious when I ask this. I'm 19 and I'm getting my braces put on Wednesday. I'm just wondering, the job that I will be applying for is one that deals with the public. I just wonder if anyone would take me serious when I'm in uniform and on the job? The job is seasonal April-September. I would do most of my work on foot.

First off, "Looks" most DEFINITELY affect not only people's liklihood of being hired, they also affect how they're perceived by their co-workers, clients, etc. In your case, however, I don't think that your braces are going to be a liability at all. Many people have them as young adults and as more mature adults. Wishing you the best in your job endeavors!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
I think braces are cute

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Braces shouldnt be an issue. But its how you dress and groom yourself that matters. no purple hair, spike chokers, green nail polish, etc. Save that look for jobs at a record store or Hot Topics. And good luck on your job, stay positive!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
The braces won't affect you negatively. If someone was to mention it (and they probably won't) - use the lines provided above by some of the other replies (they are great).

Just ensure you are cleaned up, dressed very nicely, present with confidence and clarity, and go into the job interview believing that you are right for the job.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
Physical attractiveness can have real effects. A survey conducted by London Guildhall University of 11,000 people showed that those who subjectively describe themselves as physically attractive earn more income than others who would describe themselves as less attractive.[36] People who described themselves as less attractive earned, on average, 13% less than those who described themselves as more attractive, while the penalty for being overweight was around 5%. Another study indicated that physical attractiveness in men plays an even larger role for salary than it does for women, contributing as much as 40% to earnings. It is thought that these figures are similar around most of Europe, including France, Germany and Spain. It is important to note that other factors such as self-confidence may explain or influence these findings as they are based on self-reported attractiveness as opposed to any sort of objective criteria; however, as one's self-confidence and self-esteem are largely learned from how one is regarded by their peers while maturing, even these considerations would suggest a significant role for physical appearance.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Thanks, there was many good responses!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
The way you carry yourself is far more important than what is on your teeth. As long as you go to a job looking clean, neat and professional I doubt that anyone will find any objection to your braces.
Besides, ask any business owner (I know I'm going to get flack for this, but it is true!) if they interviewed you, an guy with tattoos all over, and a girl with face piercings... who are they going to hire. All other qualifications being equal, most would say you!
Good luck with the job!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
CD Members,

I think looks do affect one's likelyhood of being hired to SOME extent.. but if you are an extremely confident person, present yourself in a professional matter and make it appear the rbaces don't hidner anything, you should do fine.

I have a job that is very much in the public eye, to some extent.. and I always wonder if my appearance/loooks affect the likelyhood I'll get a job. I'm not ugly by anymeans, nor am I a slob ... but I have a birth defect, that while not crippling by any means.. or even very noticeable.. when people DO notice it, they tend to stare and ask quesitons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment