Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtm7 View Post
Alcohol is not "relatively easy" to make. Not safely anyway. What makes alcohol highly elastic is the fact that there are a variety of choices at different prices available. Raising your price would affect your sales, because people would be more likely just to go somewhere else and buy a comparable product. Low elasticity products would be unique products not widely available and/or substitute or comparable products are not available. If the price of gasoline increases, you can't use Pepsi instead of gasoline.
Yes it is easy to make and you are also correct there are alot of alternatives. A NICE distillation column might be hard to make on the front end but once made its not hard to make mash and distill it out, to make beer or wine etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM

So I suppose the bigger question is, what countries dont have at-will?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

OP, guaranteed permanent jobs for life rarely exist.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:08 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Unrelated. What does a thrown out case about collusion with false visa application have to do with at-will employment laws?
It has everything to do with at will. Do you think that Disney sent their staff on vacation?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why should an employer not be free to choose to employ this group of people instead of that group? Why should they not be able to say, "We think it's a better idea to use off-shore talent"? Should everyone else in the world refuse to deal with Americans so they can "keep jobs at home"? Why should any given US citizen have a "right" to a job before anyone from anywhere else? How far do you believe employers should go to find a US citizen for a job before hiring anyone else? Would they have to scour every homeless shelter and camp in their city, county, state, the whole country before being allowed to hire a non-citizen?
Because if it's unlawful to fire people based on national origin, that applies to Americans too. In my estimation H-1b labor is used because they are cheaper and put up with more guff from IT sweat shops.

In my experience as a computer programmer, I've noticed that many of the people from abroad are entry level so that employers can fire their Americans.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, guaranteed permanent jobs for life rarely exist.
You do realize there is a difference between at-will policy and guaranteed permanent job for life ..... right?

I should rephrase, where in the world does a company need a really good reason to terminate and potentially govt permission. Such that they are forced to open their books and prove corporate hardship and not just that they want to make more money.

Unfortunately my wife does not want to move so I will have to keep doing this dance until it becomes untenable to both keep the house and work pedestrian jobs long term. I am looking at seeing if I can do like 3 month on 1 week back in the states if I can find a good job else where and then my wife can join me if she chooses too.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This isn't an "at-will" case at all. It can be addressed by reforming H1-B visa programs which I am all for...but that is another issue and has nothing to do with having or not having "at will" laws in place.
Ironically, this may in fact be a result of government regulations regarding "at will" policies - employees will want to hire even more temp h1-b employees to replace Americans and there "pesky HR demands" in to get around laws.
Of course they used at will laws to get rid of their employees. Many of their employees had good records including Pererro.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Because if it's unlawful to fire people based on national origin, that applies to Americans too. In my estimation H-1b labor is used because they are cheaper and put up with more guff from IT sweat shops.

In my experience as a computer programmer, I've noticed that many of the people from abroad are entry level so that employers can fire their Americans.
I dont think jn understands why political boarders exist. I think its been far too long since a major war to show everyone that not everyone gets along and different nations have different interests, many of which are opposed.

I think America will have a brain drain because talented people wont tolerate this sort of behavior forever once another nation steps up to take them in and offers a political protection from economic warfare. Because of MAD and massive standing armies, economic warfare is going to be the new normal. If we cant shoot at each other then we will just starve each other out.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 AM

72 posts, read 97,452 times
Quote:

A quick search will show the majority don't have at-will employment. The USA is one of a handful of countries that have at-will employment. https://velocityglobal.com/blog/top-...ng-employment/
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...-overview.aspx

In the country I currently live, only probationary employees(those who have worked for six months or less) are at will. Once an employee becomes a regular employee(having worked more than six months), they can only be terminated for serious misconduct or disobedience to the employer, neglect of duties, commission of a crime by the employee, or having a disease that is prejudicial to his health or his co-workers health. The exception would be if the business is closing or having a reduction in personnel. In other words, they can't fire you for no reason and then replace you with someone else.

In the last country I worked, the probabtionary period was 3 months, and after that the rules for termination were similar to where I currently live.

The rules in this regard are similar in most countries. Worldwide, at will employment is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
The fact that health care is a for profit "industry" is the first problem.

Healthcare is subject to the same Laws of Economics as any other business or industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment