Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Healthcare is subject to the same Laws of Economics as any other business or industry.
Well, funny it is not in any other civilized country, or even developing. For-profit is unique to the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That is a good point, I need to save up for Pimsleur German. All we have to do is point to the German labor system. Germans are not slaves, the employee can quit, but the employer cant just fire "at-will", there are significant rules and severance pays, etc that protect the social fabric of their society so that they dont end up with tent cities and millions of homeless wondering around so that the rich can pad their bank accounts.

But you are right, that is what I should be doing with my time is figuring out how to get to Germany.
As a hard working, intelligent and productive employee, I don't want to be forced to work alongside the incompetent. There's a reason I didn't go into the public sector for employment.

If you suck at your job, your employer should not be held hostage to you staying until "rules" are met, time has passed, and then be forced to pay you off.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM

369 posts, read 326,414 times
Will people finally start voting against candidates and laws that support at-will employment? The USA is the only developed nation that has draconian at-will policies where companies can just toss people to the curve and create significant family disruption and/or hard ship.[/quote]

Employees toss their employers to the curb more than your assertion.
Why should I spend and invest in someone that has no loyalty or even a decent work ethic.

Go robot, if I don't my competition will for sure and undercut me. Bottom line, employee looses regardless of "at will" . It matters not. It's where the world is headed. Establish a niche now and work it strong or join the homeless.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 PM

643 posts, read 330,662 times
Quote:
How long does everyone think the USA will be able to continue on with employment at-will with at out of hand as lay offs have gotten in corporate america and how disruptive they have been to alot of peoples lives.

Will people finally start voting against candidates and laws that support at-will employment? The USA is the only developed nation that has draconian at-will policies where companies can just toss people to the curve and create significant family disruption and/or hard ship.
actually, only white males between about 18-50 get hit by employment at will.

It seems everyone else......women, gays, minorities, older workers.....can cry " discrimination" to either force the employer to keep them via of threat of lawsuit or go to court and make the employer prove it was not discrimination.

It should be the person filing the discrimination case to present evidence that it actually WAS discrimination instead of the employer having to prove it was not.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:19 PM

403 posts, read 620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Have fun handing over 45% of your check for taxes like they do in Norway. Let me guess, your current tax liability is under 20%?
No free lunch...

Old 07-19-2018, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
actually, only white males between about 18-50 get hit by employment at will.

It seems everyone else......women, gays, minorities, older workers.....can cry " discrimination" to either force the employer to keep them via of threat of lawsuit or go to court and make the employer prove it was not discrimination.

It should be the person filing the discrimination case to present evidence that it actually WAS discrimination instead of the employer having to prove it was not.
This is so not true. I guess with this being the internet, you are intentionally being provocative.

I work for a major corp where layoffs are comnon. The shoe falls for all kinds of people.

But hey, with such misguided, false statements, you can keep racial animosity brewing.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
As a hard working, intelligent and productive employee, I don't want to be forced to work alongside the incompetent. There's a reason I didn't go into the public sector for employment.

If you suck at your job, your employer should not be held hostage to you staying until "rules" are met, time has passed, and then be forced to pay you off.
My understanding is that the rules in other countries protect long time employees who are good at their jobs from high level mass lay offs where whole swaths of people are let go, either all at once or in some kind of staged multi year mass lay off.

The proliferation of mass lay offs that effect people that are good at their jobs that have built a niche and are now on the streets is a travesty. Someone with 10 years in some niche out on the street trying to find a new job .... come on man.

This is not about Jonny the slug who sits and plays mine sweeper all day at work for years no matter how much GOP voters want to beat their drum about "the dead beat employee".

Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Will people finally start voting against candidates and laws that support at-will employment? The USA is the only developed nation that has draconian at-will policies where companies can just toss people to the curve and create significant family disruption and/or hard ship.
Employees toss their employers to the curb more than your assertion.
Why should I spend and invest in someone that has no loyalty or even a decent work ethic.

Go robot, if I don't my competition will for sure and undercut me. Bottom line, employee looses regardless of "at will" . It matters not. It's where the world is headed. Establish a niche now and work it strong or join the homeless.[/quote]

Well I think the world is headed to nuclear terrorism but thats another issue. How far can the under cutting go before the only people that can compete are people who are completely morally bankrupt who steal IP on a daily basis, employ pesudo slave labor and sabatoge their competition.

I mean seriously at a certian point it becomes absurd, how far down this road do we want to go as a nation. Robots are expensive (real expensive) so you would have to steal the IP and have an H1B visa slave build it in order to leverage that threat and remain solvent. Or someone else would have to steal the IP have a slave build it and then sell it to you cheap.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:26 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
My understanding is that the rules in other countries protect long time employees who are good at their jobs from high level mass lay offs where whole swaths of people are let go, either all at once or in some kind of staged multi year mass lay off.

The proliferation of mass lay offs that effect people that are good at their jobs that have built a niche and are now on the streets is a travesty. Someone with 10 years in some niche out on the street trying to find a new job .... come on man.

This is not about Jonny the slug who sits and plays mine sweeper all day at work for years no matter how much GOP voters want to beat their drum about "the dead beat employee".
If you are good at your job, you won't get tossed to the curb. If you are an asset to your company, you won't get tossed to the curb.

The only ones being protected, in many cases, are workers whose only talent is not quitting.

The government has no business telling an employer how to run their business. Or who to employ. Or for how long.

The purpose of a business is not to provide employment.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM

4,992 posts, read 2,726,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If you are good at your job, you won't get tossed to the curb. If you are an asset to your company, you won't get tossed to the curb.

The only ones being protected, in many cases, are workers whose only talent is not quitting.

The government has no business telling an employer how to run their business. Or who to employ. Or for how long.

The purpose of a business is not to provide employment.
That's right. The purpose of a business is to make money and not please or coddle their employees. However, even if you are good at your job, you could still get tossed to the curb since your employer does not owe you anything. Especially if you become too expensive. Life doesn't come with guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment