Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:20 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times

Advertisements

… and they expect employees to smile all the times. No matter how much you do, it does not seem enough for the management. And the employer sends out a survey to ask employees if they think the company is one of the best places to work in the country.

Is this the trend in the business world now?

Anyone on here relates to or has experience with this situation? How do you deal with the stress and keep yourself upbeat?

Please don't tell me to find a job somewhere else. It's easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Been there, done that at one company where I worked briefly as a product manager. I remember one day when my manager came up to me and was giving me a hard time about not being further along on a project he asked me to start the week before. I told him to have a look at my calendar for the past week. In addition to my regular work, I had 29 hours of meetings in that one week.

To their credit they did start trying to get a handle on things. They had Albert Communications come in and conduct training (“Making Meetings Matter”) to try to help us reduce time wasted in such things. It gets crazy though.

Another time a manager (I reported to two) told me she had an urgent task and to make it my number one priority. I reminded her that just yesterday afternoon, she had told me the task I was currently working on should be my number one priority. I asked her which did she want. She looked flustered and sort of just held her hands up and shook them and said “Well, they both need to be number one.”

Competent management helps efficiency a lot.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Well more work means you have job stability if you are competent. You are there to work, so just continue to do your best and put in your time, and then go home and forget about work. Rinse and repeat.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I can relate. There are weeks when I am seemingly doing nothing but sitting through meeting after meeting with no real, actual work done. We are forced to listen to higher ups drone on about corporate mission statements, how we need to put the customer first (really??? shocking!), how we need to cut costs (another shocker!)......on and on. I often think to myself the reason they hold these meetings is to give themselves something to do, because most of these people do not have any legitimate day-to-day duties other than holding these meetings. It's maddening.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
… and they expect employees to smile all the times. No matter how much you do, it does not seem enough for the management. And the employer sends out a survey to ask employees if they think the company is one of the best places to work in the country.

Is this the trend in the business world now?
No.

Quote:
Please don't tell me to find a job somewhere else. It's easier said than done.
So, what do you want? A hug? You aren't going to get a magic pill to make them change. Either live with it, or quit. Those are your choices.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
All those meetings will make you a better, more effective employee. At least that's what we were told when it happened to us in education.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
The frequency with which management has meetings is directly related to their level of incompetence.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The frequency with which management has meetings is directly related to their level of incompetence.
Bingo!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Welcome to business world.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Been there, done that at one company where I worked briefly as a product manager. I remember one day when my manager came up to me and was giving me a hard time about not being further along on a project he asked me to start the week before. I told him to have a look at my calendar for the past week. In addition to my regular work, I had 29 hours of meetings in that one week.

To their credit they did start trying to get a handle on things. They had Albert Communications come in and conduct training (“Making Meetings Matter”) to try to help us reduce time wasted in such things. It gets crazy though.

Another time a manager (I reported to two) told me she had an urgent task and to make it my number one priority. I reminded her that just yesterday afternoon, she had told me the task I was currently working on should be my number one priority. I asked her which did she want. She looked flustered and sort of just held her hands up and shook them and said “Well, they both need to be number one.”

Competent management helps efficiency a lot.
I'm going to go to work and hug my machine......That so reminds me of a job long ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment