Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM

35 posts, read 68,944 times

Advertisements

Im coming for a little advice. We are having some feeding issues. She is 11 weeks, and while small meals often is the best direction- i am desperately trying to get her on a better feeding schedule. you will read why.

Important point/background:
We have a food monger dog. He is small and a rescue who honestly thinks he is starving to death every second of his life. Therefore, i had to build a special stand for the kitten- out of reach of the pooch. It works well, but when she is done eating, if the bowl is not removed, he stands and cries underneath the stand wanting food.

This is how the days go:

9pm: Snack before bed
9:30: Playtime
10:15: bedtime.
3:00AM:Kitten walks over to our bed and starts licking me- then escalates to screaming (siamese love to talk- and i love her talking, except at 3am!)
I will often get up and feed her. But i have to stand there, and wait for her to finish, because underneath is the dog- waiting, and crying to food.
4:30AM: She starts licking and crying again- More food. Again, standing and waiting for her to finish.
5:30AM: Hubby awakes, she begs for food and he feeds her. She doesnt eat much, just a bit or two.
5:45AM: She comes back into bed and licks and begs me for food. She eats two bites again. Often i try to go back to sleep (I dont have to wake till 7:30am).
6:45AM: She AGAIN, licks and meows running to her stad for more food. I feed her, and she eats a whole meal.
12:00: Lunch.
3:00PM: Snack
6pm: Dinner

However, in our household, the animals are on a very specific raw diet. On certain occasions they get EVO kibble. I tried leaving out the kibble during the night- didnt fly with the dog.

I did notice, that a friend suggested that I try a low grade kibble (less meat- less odor) to leave out. I got a sample of 'Special Kitty'- a walmart brand. Turns out, if i leave a few pieces on the stand, the dog doesnt care as much, and the cat likes it. But it is junk.

Suggestions?
Do I leave out a less odor kibble so she can graze? Is there another brand that dogs dont seem to care for as much that might be healthier?

Should i be getting up to feed her? or should i ignore her? (she is siamese- relentless almost crazy- licking me like a Popsicle and meowing as she purs making her sound funny)
Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
Looking at the timing of this, she asks for food a lot more often while you're sleeping so I'm guessing it's wanting attention more than hunger. Hard as it is, I'd try to ignore her. At most, a quick scratch between the ears and "Go to sleep".

Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Is there a place in the house where the kitten can have her 'apartment' at night where you can close the door and free feed her a high quality kibble? Our little Siamese girl spends her nights in the laundry room so the she (and us) can get a good night's sleep. We just make sure to give her a good play session before she goes in her apartment (about 180 square feet) and when we let her out in the morning, and it works well for us.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Is there a place in the house where the kitten can have her 'apartment' at night where you can close the door and free feed her a high quality kibble? Our little Siamese girl spends her nights in the laundry room so the she (and us) can get a good night's sleep. We just make sure to give her a good play session before she goes in her apartment (about 180 square feet) and when we let her out in the morning, and it works well for us.
Unfortunately, we live in a contemporary loft style condo, so there is nothing like that. Anyway, the dog has separation anxiety from me, and the kitten refuses to be separated from the dog. They even clean each other after eat, cuddle at night, etc.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Awwwww. Any pictures of this?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Here they are sleeping:

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Here is video of them playing, not sure how to post a video:

Mishka, playing with Remy on clean laundry - YouTube

Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Here is another one:

Dog vs Cat, Cat learns to fly - YouTube

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,544,497 times
OMG - what a pair!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,011,771 times
Adorable! And I love "pointed" kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats