Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 PM

170 posts, read 983,268 times

Advertisements

So i'm 24 years old and working as a carpenter/painter. Although i enjoy this line of work now, I think my feelings will change when I am 30+ and have a family to support.

I have an associates degree in recording arts but i'm having a load of trouble finding work with it. I'm highly considering going through another 4 years of school to earn my bachelors degree. This would probably consist of going to school full time, working part time, and putting myself into financial debt.

I want to work in production/post production/editing/digital media. I'm hope that with my existing associates and a future bachelor degree I will be able to land a nice job.

Any comments or advice?? stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,534 times
All I want to say is, go for it. It seems for most jobs today you will need a Bachelors degree.
As far as the debt, most of us are in debt because of school. But I'd rather be in debt because of my education rather than using credit trying to make up for lack of pay in a possibly going nowhere job.
Good luck and I think school is the best answer.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 PM

74 posts, read 619,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
So i'm 24 years old and working as a carpenter/painter. Although i enjoy this line of work now, I think my feelings will change when I am 30+ and have a family to support.

I have an associates degree in recording arts but i'm having a load of trouble finding work with it. I'm highly considering going through another 4 years of school to earn my bachelors degree. This would probably consist of going to school full time, working part time, and putting myself into financial debt.

I want to work in production/post production/editing/digital media. I'm hope that with my existing associates and a future bachelor degree I will be able to land a nice job.

Any comments or advice?? stories?
ohhh..........SO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH YOUR STATEMENT.

For starters, why would you need to go "through another 4 years of school to earn my bachelors degree," if you already have an associates degree??? I'm sure it should take you less than 4 years to complete like 60 credits.

Secondly, you want to work in digital media. HAVE YOU RESEARCHED the market demand for that skill set and your geographic area? Do you honestly believe that the salaries for that profession would allow you a comfortable standard of living AND pay back the school loans???

It sounds like you need to take a few courses in economics and logic. Ask yourself do you want to be poor and in debt with the possibility of landing a job in your field or do you want to increase your current standard of living.

If you do decide to complete a BA in digital media please attend a good public university. dont get sucked into those fake $40k a year "university" of pheonix type places.

we all make choices. we all chose our destiny.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
Don't bother going for a four year degree in it. It won't make a difference. I have one and it doesn't mean much.

All you need to do is become well versed in the programs, software, and equipment. You should also have some proof of your work that you can show people. This is the sort of business that it's helpful to network to get known. If necessary volunteer on a job or elsewhere to get contacts. Unless you work at a tv station or production house income will be spotty so be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment