Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year degree and worked in my field for 10 years. Now that I've been home with the kids for 3 years, and things only seem to be getting busier with them, I'm considering going back to school to learn a trade so I can work part time. Thoughts? I'm considering something like an ultrasound or x-ray tech. Maybe even a PT tech. I hate to take a step backward, but it would be nice to have more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Look long and hard at the job openings in your area and chosen new field. Also, there are often huge waiting lists for medical tech-type schoolings, as so many people have applied from other fields and endeavors.
If you view this as "moving back," that's not a view that will help you, either in getting in, doing it, or feeling OK about it. Honest work is honest work.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
I've heard it's *really* hard to get a job as an ultrasound or X-ray tech - lots of trade schools putting out LOTS of these folks. Oversaturated.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I've heard it's *really* hard to get a job as an ultrasound or X-ray tech - lots of trade schools putting out LOTS of these folks. Oversaturated.

You better believe it. It's worse now then ever before with all the government sponsored training programs out there. Every time I turn on the radio or the TV all I see are schools promising a high demand, high paying career in whatever trade they are trying to peddle. That's why most of the commercials are on daytime TV. They know that most of the people watching are out of work and they are trying to take advantage of their desperation and they know a lot of these people qualify for government funding. Enrollment at trade schools is at an all time high and there aren't enough jobs to support the students when they get out. These school are for profit so as long as they get your money, that's all they really care about.

And don't believe their job placement statistics. A lot of places will tell you some bogus number like 80% of their graduates are employed within 3 months or some other B.S. like that. While it may be true they are employed, it isn't necessarily in the field they have trained for; e.g., training for a X-ray tech but working at McDonald's.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 AM

323 posts, read 940,263 times
Well so much for X-Ray tech then. It would have been something to consider for me going with the "goldmine of potential jobs" theory, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that this field is getting oversaturated now too. Ask all the new college grads with teaching degrees how that "All the baby boomers are going to retire soon!" myth is working out for them. Every time I talk to someone going to school for that I want to

What frustrates me too is that these WIA programs are FORCING people into specific training programs only. I called my local Wisconsin Workforce Development branch today to ask about the WIA funding backlog.

My degree is in Product Design but I have been using 2D CAD software and 3D modeling software for about 10 years. I've been a part of the Engineering Dept in my past 2 jobs preparing technical drawings right along the MEs. I want to take a 4 week long comprehensive course to train me in high end 3D Modeling and Engineering software and BUILD UPON the skills I have. It would also allow me to seek short term contract work as a CAD Designer and I think that is what would get me back to work the fastest. One month vs. 1-2 years of school makes a hell of a lot more sense to me!!!!!!

So I mentioned that I have spoken to local software training companies who claim they are certified for WIA programs. The person I spoke to seemed familiar with what I wanted to do but flat out told me that each Workforce Development Branch is it's own entity with it's own Board that approves funding and they WILL NOT give me money for this. He said they will ONLY approve Medical, IT, or Green/Alternate Energy programs for my county.

WTF? So you can SATURATE those fields with people too? The last thing I want to do is be trained to become a Help Desk IT person who lacks the knowledge to do anything more then basic skills and fights for Geek Squad jobs with every other person they file thru these programs.

I honestly think that it is very misguided if they ignore people's past experience and FORCE them into specific training. Why go on a completely different tangent if you believe that you can make yourself a more marketable candidate by improving upon knowledge or skills you ALREADY have?

If I had a choice, I would make the software training my 1st priority but I'd also consider CNC opperation, welding, or starting an Electrician Apprenticeship program. Any of these would relate more to my current skills or my work preferences. I came from a blue collar way of life and I'm starting to think that I'd return to that if it paid me a more immediate ROI then going back and getting ANOTHER degree that might not guarantee me any better employment potential.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You better believe it. It's worse now then ever before with all the government sponsored training programs out there. Every time I turn on the radio or the TV all I see are schools promising a high demand, high paying career in whatever trade they are trying to peddle. That's why most of the commercials are on daytime TV. They know that most of the people watching are out of work and they are trying to take advantage of their desperation and they know a lot of these people qualify for government funding. Enrollment at trade schools is at an all time high and there aren't enough jobs to support the students when they get out. These school are for profit so as long as they get your money, that's all they really care about.

And don't believe their job placement statistics. A lot of places will tell you some bogus number like 80% of their graduates are employed within 3 months or some other B.S. like that. While it may be true they are employed, it isn't necessarily in the field they have trained for; e.g., training for a X-ray tech but working at McDonald's.
thanks for the info. Something to consider for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment