Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 PM

91 posts, read 475,830 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experince or have any knowlegde about this job? I'm thinking about applying for this position at the post office, but wanted to get some info before taking the time out to actually take the test and going through the interview process. I'm only looking to supplement my income so I don't care that there are no benefits or that I'm only guaranteed one day a week:

1) What time do you usually start in the morning and how long can it take to finish the route(s)?

2) Is the schedule setup a week in advance or would I be on call and if called in for that same day can I decline if I had another committment (a parent/teacher conference for example.)?

3) How likely would I end up working more than 4 days in one week?

4) Is the pay weekly, every two weeks or monthly?

5) What is the satisfaction level, what are some problems I may run into with property owners or with other personnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
We have a rural postal carrier associate, and while we live in an isolated subdivision in a low-traffic area there have been horror stories locally of some, even with their four-way flashers on, getting rear-ended by other motorists while hanging halfway onto the shoulder of a roadway and halfway into the lane of travel on two-lane roads while delivering mail. Some rural associates here use their own personal vehicles and are reimbursed for gas and mileage while others use regular postal trucks. No matter which vehicle you eventually use, may I suggest either you (or your employer) invest in bright orange reflective triangular magnets of some sort on your rear bumper to help further warn traffic approaching from the rear of your presence? In addition to that most local rural carriers also have orange flashing lights on the tops of their vehicles to further alert other motorists. I'd assume the postal service would be willing to provide such amenities to keep their employees safe, but even if they won't you may be able to write these purchases off as necessary and reasonable tax deductions for your job. It's always better to be safe then sorry, especially in the era when everyone is not only in a rush to get nowhere but is also distracted by cell phones, iPods, Garmins, Sirius/XM, etc.

I suppose that somewhat answered part of #5, and I'm sorry I can't truly help with #1-4, being that I work in a different field. Also be aware that you could look forward to generous tips during the Holiday season, although I believe by Federal law there is a $20 or $25 maximum limit that you can accept, the balance of which I believe has to be returned to the customer or turned in to your employer (or better yet just donate it to a charity of your choice so nobody finds out).

Best of luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM

36 posts, read 298,270 times
Default about RCAs

I may be able to give you a little info on this. I am a city carrier but I work in an office with a lot of rural carriers and rural carrier associates. Start time in my office is 7 am but that can vary from office to office. It's usually no earlier than 6:30 am and no later than 8 am.
The local management does post a schedule for the following week, but be aware as an RCA will you be called in on occasion due to regular carriers calling in sick or because of a high volume of mail they may need extra help.
Will you be called in more than 4 times a week? Impossible to answer. It depends on how well staffed the office is. In my office, the RCAs complain about not getting enough hours so I think many weeks they don't work 4 days.
I know our pay in every 2 weeks and I believe rurals are the same.
Satisfaction level is pretty low I think because you never know when you are going to work or how much you will get. Most RCAs can't wait to become regulars.However, if you only want a modest number of hours per week, it's not a bad job.
You shouldn't have too much problem with people out on the routes. Any property problems are handled by postal management. You just report the problems.
Most people you work with will be patient with you learning the job as they have probably dealt with lots of RCAs. There is a fairly high turnover in that job so most regulars are used to training new people.
Lastly, rural carriers are one job at the Post Office that continues to hire more people. Rural carrier jobs are growing in most parts of the country.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 84,757 times
I'm a RCA in Maine. I have been an RCA for 4 years.
1. I usually start at 7:15 AM and get done with the route between 3:00PM and 4:30PM depending on the day of the week. Saturdays are my normal day. When I fill in for the normal carrier during the week Thrusdays or Fridays take longer because we have to stop at every mail box and deliver what are known as "Box Holders."
2. I'm only scheduled on Saturdays. I get called in when the normal carrier is sick.
He and I have a good working relationship. If he knows in advance that he will need to make a dentist or doctor appointment he tries to set them up in advance for my day off of my regulars job. If by chance he has a medical emergency or dental emergency (and that does happen) my regular job is fairly flexible in letting me come in a few hours late.
3. I only work 4 or more days a week when he has vacation time, he tries to plan that in enough time so I can get my schedule at my regular job adjusted so that I don't have to worry about calling in or being late.
4. Pay is every two weeks. I'm lucky in that their payday falls between my regular job's every two week pay period so I get a pay check weekly.
5. I've been very satisified with my job as an RCA. Other's haven't been. There has been 5 other RCAs in the office doing the other routes that have only stayed a while. I guess I was lucky and got the best route for an RCA. I've only had a few problems with property owners. It usually is because I'm slower than the normal carrier and they tend to want their mail at the same time every day. If you try to turn around in a driveway so you don't back into the road you have to be careful not to go on their grass they get really upset about that. I try to back into each driveway. The other problem I've run into is crappy mail boxes. Cover's won't stay up and it your get too close they can scratch your vehicle. You will need to make sure if using your own vehicle that your insurance will cover you doing the Postal Route. You will need to either buy a used right hand drive vehicle, if your Post Office doesn't provide you with a Right Hand Drive vehicle, or make sure that you can drive your vehicle from the right side without any problems. There are kits you can buy to make your vehicle Right Hand Drive. I've never updated my vehicle to RHD as I felt the expense wasn't worth it for just 1 day a week and 2 weeks a year.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM

44 posts, read 270,361 times
I was a RCA while I was in college and the job helped put me through school. The pay was wonderful but the JOB it worked my butt off. When I worked for my regular carrier it was fine but when I was called in to do other routes it was awlful to say the least. They had me delievering mail in my car and it ruined my transmission, the stop go, stop go, killed my car. I worked so hard it wasn't funny, often doing 12 hrs in one day to deliver mail to a route I wasn't familiar with. It was hard work, but if you are just supplementing your income it might not be to bad.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
BKS

1 posts, read 84,534 times
I'm a RCA.
1. You usually start between 7 and 7:15am. The route ends when you finish all the mail. So the times that you finish varies. The normal time is between 3 and 4:30pm. However if you're just learning the route you can be out there until night time. It really depends upon the mail because if u have a lot of mail even regulars get off later.
2. It pretty much depend on your post office. At mine if they call you the same day and you had plans they would understand and try to get someone else in. For the most part they let u know ahead of time.
3. It all depends upon the carrier that u sub for. It's usually 1 day but if the regular go on vacation or have a doctor's appointment then you get all of those days. When you begin to learn more routes then eventually you'll get more days.
4. The pay is every 2 weeks.
5. For the most part the problems that you will have is dealing with angry customers who wants everything their way. The customers that's never satisfied who will call the post office on you for nothing. If u drive your own vehicle it puts a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle. Yes they do pay you mileage and maintenance but that is not enough for the work you'll need on your car. As far as personnel they are pretty cool as long as you are doing your job. I must say overall they pay you well but you work for every dollar that you get. IT IS A LOT OF WORK AND IT IS NO JOKE.. RAIN, SLEET. HAIL, SNOW OR SUNSHINE!!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I have often wondered how the job must be, when you get mail going to "John Jones, RR 7 Box 547" or even just "John Jones, RR 7" I guess you have to know the route rather well.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 82,951 times
I'm a TRC.
I have just started this position in a rural area in Northern KY. I have been in training now for about 3 weeks. The work is a lot harder than anyone could imagine. As a TRC, you are required to use your own vehicle, called a PCV as known in the USPS world. The term TRC stands for Temporary Relief Carrier. It is usually a one day a week, mainly Saturday part time job, but you will be on call to relieve for a regular carrier if they become sick, have a scheduled appointment, and vacations. TRC's are not required to take the RCA test at this time to begin work. I started at the worse time of the year, Christmas Holiday. One would not believe the packages that we deliver during this time of the year. My trainer only worked with me a few times, before I was thrown to the wolves. My first day I couldn't even get through the first half of the route without calling for help. It was the worse day of my life. After that I was only given the first half for 2 days, and the second half for 2 days. I finally got the half routes down and eventually got to return to the full route. The Post Master came in and helped me case and pull down my first 2 Saturdays by myself. The first Saturday I had to have the other regular get all my outgoing mail, and take back to the office before the truck arrived. The next Saturday I had a lighter mail day and was able to get back in time for the truck to arrive. Since then I have been called in due to my regular being sick all through the Thanksgiving Holiday, and this week her vehicle broke down for 4 days, and is scheduled off for this coming Monday for a doctors appointment. Box Holder days are Hell for a beginner. You have to stop at every mail box on the route, and with the heavy volume we are having at this time I have had to have a lot of help from the other regular and the Post Master. If it wasn't for all the help and support that they have given me, I surely would have given up by now. There is only 4 off us with 2 routes in this rural area, but the area is a lot bigger than you can imagine. Eventually I will cover for both routes, but for now I just cover for one and the other regular has a RCA from another Office cover for her. I believe the hardest thing to learn is the casing and the pulling down of mail. If this doesn't go quickly, this can be the beginning of a very long day. The pay is $13.05 per hour. You have a maintenance paid to you by $.63 per mile. The routes are evaluated for the time and mileage. My route is evaluated at 42 miles and 8.25 hours to complete from time you begin casing to the time you come in from delivery. If you can get the whole thing completed at 6 hours, you get paid for the 8.25, but if it takes you 10 hours you only get paid for the 8.25. I have been coming in at 6:00 am, and not leaving until 6:00 pm. This is due to the inexperience I still have from still be in training. The type of vehicle you use makes a BIG difference. I'm using my wifes 1997 Toyota Corolla with a console. Trust me, the car is very dependable, and can take the abuse, but is not at the least practical for the job. Getting in and out for large parcel deliveries takes wat too much time, and not to mention very difficult to perform. Try to purchase a Right Hand Steer vehicle if you can, I'm in the process of gathering up enough money to purchase one now. We were told that this time of the year is the worse time to begin, and that there is a 75% rate of new TRC's quitting before the holiday season is over. My first snow day delivery was yesterday, and let me tell you it was an experience! Perfessional Road Racers don't have jack on rural route carriers. You must be a real good driver, and in complete control at all times or this job is diffently not for you.

Last edited by TRC Hershel; 12-05-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 82,837 times
Default It's not worth it.

I'm an RCA and currently only work 2 days a month. After mail count, our route went down and the regular carrier decided to work every other Saturday. The current pay for an RCA is $18.50 an hour. Remember, summers are great. Your route is based on an evaluated time and that's what you get paid. In the summer mail is light and you may get done several hours early. But at Christmastime, the packages are heavy and you may work several hours more than you are getting paid for. In my opinion, the pay structure needs to be revisited.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 82,288 times
I have a question...I am currently in training for the Temp. rural carrier position working Saturday's only. Does anyone know if there will be oppotunities to stay on with the Post Office once Saturday delivery is removed from the regular delivery days? I'd like to stay on as a FT employee but it sounds as though the temp positions will be the first to go. If there are opportunities, can someone advise me on how to accomplish this? I have been unemployed now for almost 2 years due to layoffs in the financial sector and have had a difficult time securing a position. Thanks in advance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment