Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM

54 posts, read 25,572 times

Advertisements

I was a bartender/food and beverage attendant. So back in November I was pulled in the office by my supervisor. I was told that there was a secret shopper. He told me the secret shopper came around 5:00pm and ordered 2 gin and tonics, a pepperoni pizza, and a salad. They ordered that from my coworker. I was told they came back around 6:30pm and ordered a bottle IPA from me. I was told I was given 9 dollars and that the shopper witness me charge it and put it and the cash register. They said I did not offer a glass and I did not offer a receipt.

My supervisor then tells me that they can not find the charge in the system. I told him I did not remember the guest at all and that the beer in question was not sold at all the whole week. A week later I was suspended pending investigation. They did their investigation and did not find me on camera interacting with the shopper at all!!! I also had filed a grievance stating that they should check inventory from the day. Their investigation brought back nothing at all and all they had was the secret shopper report. However corporate pushed for me to be terminated and a week after suspension I was terminated.

Back on the 4th of January we went in for mediation. The mediator tried to bring me back. I never had issues at this job or any disciplinary actions. I also did not steal the 9 dollars. They only offer to change my my termination into a resignation, give me a letter of recommendation, and would not contest unemployment. My union rep and myself said no! So now we going to arbitration.

Anyone have any experience with this? I really got fired for no reason on top of the fact that they had no proof. And the fact that they was willing to change my termination into a resignation we believe they know their case is weak. They tried to trick me knowing had I excepted the terms I would not be able to get unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlamont21 View Post
I was a bartender/food and beverage attendant. So back in November I was pulled in the office by my supervisor. I was told that there was a secret shopper. He told me the secret shopper came around 5:00pm and ordered 2 gin and tonics, a pepperoni pizza, and a salad. They ordered that from my coworker. I was told they came back around 6:30pm and ordered a bottle IPA from me. I was told I was given 9 dollars and that the shopper witness me charge it and put it and the cash register. They said I did not offer a glass and I did not offer a receipt.

My supervisor then tells me that they can not find the charge in the system. I told him I did not remember the guest at all and that the beer in question was not sold at all the whole week. A week later I was suspended pending investigation. They did their investigation and did not find me on camera interacting with the shopper at all!!! I also had filed a grievance stating that they should check inventory from the day. Their investigation brought back nothing at all and all they had was the secret shopper report. However corporate pushed for me to be terminated and a week after suspension I was terminated.

Back on the 4th of January we went in for mediation. The mediator tried to bring me back. I never had issues at this job or any disciplinary actions. I also did not steal the 9 dollars. They only offer to change my my termination into a resignation, give me a letter of recommendation, and would not contest unemployment. My union rep and myself said no! So now we going to arbitration.

Anyone have any experience with this? I really got fired for no reason on top of the fact that they had no proof. And the fact that they was willing to change my termination into a resignation we believe they know their case is weak. They tried to trick me knowing had I excepted the terms I would not be able to get unemployment.

Start reading.

I think you can find both books on this website.
https://uniondemocracy.org/product-c.../books/page/2/

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
If you got fired over 9 dollars, someone really doesn't like you.

In most union grievances I've seen discipline has to be progressive and corrective, although stealing is usually one strike and you're out.

If they do not have proof that 9 dollars are missing, how do they know you stole it?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:10 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,384,455 times
Sounds like they do not have a case, if all that you are reporting is true. Hard to believe they would go thru the trouble and expense of Arbitration with a weak case, and that is likely the reason they offered you a Resignation.....save on the expense. If you do win your job back, you may be targeted again, so watch your back, and follow your Contract to the letter. I've been to Arbitration once, and we did win the job back only to have the person retire one year later. We usually work a deal on Severance / Demotion during Mediation on cases where we know the party is guilty, and the case against is strong. Stand your ground, and demand to be made whole.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Is it really worth it? Have you not found another job yet?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Is it really worth it? Have you not found another job yet?
It's what separates union from non-union. We pay dues to have our representatives fight for us, especially in cases where employer is in the wrong and trying to make an example of somebody. If they can get away with treating the OP like they are, it won't be a loss just for the OP, but for all employees.

My contractor just gave us a 10¢ pay cut. Our contract states that they pay the first 20¢ in healthcare cost increases and we'll pick up the tab after that.

Well it went up exactly 20¢, so we should not have seen a drop in pay. I called our representatives and the contractor just sent out an apology and they'll fix our pay rates and reimburse us for last week. Non-union we would just have to accept what they gave us or risk our job, or individuals would have to try to negotiate on their own. I think it was an honest mistake, but they dug in when I spoke to them about it. They were forced to look over their numbers and correct it once the union made the phone call.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
It's what separates union from non-union. We pay dues to have our representatives fight for us, especially in cases where employer is in the wrong and trying to make an example of somebody. If they can get away with treating the OP like they are, it won't be a loss just for the OP, but for all employees.

Good luck OP. I have the "Just Cause" book. Definitely good information in there.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:33 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlamont21 View Post
Why would you want to fight so hard to stay working at a place that actively seeks to screw people? Just go get a new job. You can fight and fight and fight, and they're still going to get you.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:51 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Why would you want to fight so hard to stay working at a place that actively seeks to screw people? Just go get a new job. You can fight and fight and fight, and they're still going to get you.
I'm inclined to agree, but a wise person once said: "Let me tell you something in real business. A piece of paper doesn't mean jack sh*t unless you bring it into a judge. When you have a contract with somebody, unless you enforce it in front of a judge, it doesn't mean d**k."

"Court" in this case is arbitration. You can lose the battle(s) and win the war. The OP obviously wants to fight this and shouldn't be deterred. Whether he wins or loses, he can at least rest knowing he did his best.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm inclined to agree, but a wise person once said: "Let me tell you something in real business. A piece of paper doesn't mean jack sh*t unless you bring it into a judge. When you have a contract with somebody, unless you enforce it in front of a judge, it doesn't mean d**k."

"Court" in this case is arbitration. You can lose the battle(s) and win the war. The OP obviously wants to fight this and shouldn't be deterred. Whether he wins or loses, he can at least rest knowing he did his best.

And the union at least earns the credibility to fight for it's members. It also puts the employer on notice that it may not be worth picking these fights in the future. Union employees can collectively start holding the employer accountable to the contract.

The contract game is not a pleasant one to be played, but like our Rights under the Constitution of the United State, as you said, it's meaningless unless you exercise those rights and privileges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment