Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 40,698 times

Advertisements

I will sign the sales contract for a new home in several days. The seller emailed me the sales contract and I went over it and did not find anything special. And then I found this website: hobb.org - homeowners for better building. It suggests that home buyers should not agree on mandatory binding arbitration in the sales contract.

I went back to the sales contract and found that the binding arbitration is included in the contract. I am not sure if this is a standard deal for a new home sales contract. If not, should I ask the seller to take this clause off the contract when I sign it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,352 times
Pay the $$ to have a real estate attorny look over the contracts before you sign anything. And yes, especially in this market, tell your attorney to have that part of the contract removed.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
In Maine, mediation is in the standard Purchase and Sale Agreement and not binding arbitration. There is a big difference.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
Pay the $$ to have a real estate attorny look over the contracts before you sign anything. And yes, especially in this market, tell your attorney to have that part of the contract removed.

Yes, it is standard practice and has been for YEARS that arbitration is the only way to settle a dispute w/ a builder.

Attorneys WROTE the contracts that are used and in some cases the state "approved" Real Estate Contract is by the book and not much of it can be changed. If you scratch this clause from a contract w/ a builder they won't take it. In most cases it is also in some sort of state legislation that covers arbitration and no other remedy. Paying a real estate attorney to look over something that they in reality can not change is a waste of money. Trust me, even our corporate attorney goes "scratch crazy" whenever we give him contracts to look over and all it does is upset and t/o the other party to where they just flat out do not want to deal with you. We have to tell the attorneys to keep it real and not get too excited w/ their pen.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
In Oregon our dispute resolution clause is
1) small claims court for disputes under $7500
2) mediation
3) binding arbitration

The concern with binding arbitration is that, at least here in Oregon, there are limited appeals. So pretty much what the arbitrator says, goes. Bear in mind that it will cost you a good, $15,000-$20,000 in attorney fees to even get to arbitration.

I agree with mom, that if you remove that portion, the builder will most likely not accept your offer. Welcome to try, but his attorney will be advising him to not sign anything that changes that. Stalemate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate