Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 392,570 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to add some people can’t eat candy, have allergies to some food and/or fragrances/skin care products, so be cautious about any food or scented items. I think I saw a donation option somewhere where the recipient could choose from a variety of charities as to where they wanted the gift to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:01 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,475,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
gift card, speciality coffee, charitable donation.. just think generic - you're right, they probably don't need anything, so it's just supposed to be for fun.

But i haven't met an exec yet who doesn't like coffee
Mormons don't drink coffee, or tea, or anything with caffeine!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
Just wanted to add some people can’t eat candy, have allergies to some food and/or fragrances/skin care products, so be cautious about any food or scented items. I think I saw a donation option somewhere where the recipient could choose from a variety of charities as to where they wanted the gift to go
a donation to a charity could have political implications as well. Something as benign as ASCPA could go against someone's beliefs. Even if they can choose from a list of charities, what if none of the charities suit the recipient?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
"various VP's and Senior Managers from his company"...

Wal-Mart and Target are most likely not in any of this group's vocabulary.

So what do "executives" NOT have that the "common" person has and enjoys that might appeal to a man or woman? Anyone?
A lot of people hate Walmart....

Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 PM

If its an 'exchange", I assume they will bring something for you. Are you expected to bring gifts for all the attendees, do you draw names, or is it one big gift for all the group? The whole thing seems loaded with potential to backfire, being expected to buy gifts for people you don't even know a thing about, not even if male/female. Its impossible not to offend someone. Is there still time to suggest not doing this?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,201,881 times
Oh, for Goodness Sake! I come from a family that has some CEO's, Lawyers, Doctors, and assorted careers all over the map. I am now retired - have have been through many, many gift exchanges in my working career. The events had employees with PhD's - High School grads. People like to have fun at these exchanges -- and I can personally tell you people LOVE to get the goofiest gift. If they don't want to trade afterward -- they take it home and give it to a child or grandchild, or re-gift it at another party. And don't worry about party-goers being LDS! They love a nice fun party just as much as anyone else.

Yes, chocolate is Foolproof! It doesn't matter if the person can't eat it - they can take it home and share. That is not the point -- the point is fun and surprise. NO ONE WANTS TO RECEIVE A PEN SET OR A BLACK TRAVEL UMBRELLA -- this is for FUN!!!!

The most memorable gift I ever witnessed at a gift exchange occurred years ago [PhD's, Professionals, all races, religions, and genders -- all adult] was a Justin Bieber Musical Toothbrush intended for a young girl, say 8 years old!!! Everyone wanted it.

Go for fun and smiles!!!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,341,468 times
Buy a $40.00 Bestbuy gift card. Lots of people like to buy techy things from Bestbuy. Put the card in a small envelope. Put the envelope in the middle of lots of brown papers, newspapers or magazine papers. Stuff them in a medium size or a large box (saved from your online order from Amazon or ebay). Draw funny things around the box. Wrap the box with a nice Christmas wrap. Whoever receives this will have a lot of fun to open the box and look for the gift. Wait and see the reaction of everyone in the group. :-)

Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 PM

30,443 posts, read 52,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Plants, candles, high-end candy like from Harry & David, a spa gift certificate should be appreciated by any class of co-workers and are pretty safe.
*disclaimer: not sure if plants/flowers are allowed on airplanes.
I would also avoid anything scented, as many people (like me) are allergic! If I get a candle or flowers, it usually gets immediately re-gifted.

This is a tough one, and I'm a little shocked at the $40 limit - as our staff gift exchanges have a $10 limit. But we're public library employees, not executive VPs. Haha. I think travel accessories are a good idea, especially since you'll be on a trip at the time, and Amazon giftcards can be appreciated by anyone. Even high-paid corporate executives enjoy Amazon shopping on another person's dime. Right? If nothing else, they can use it to download some movies/TV and music for the trip.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 PM

30,443 posts, read 52,122,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Oh, for Goodness Sake! I come from a family that has some CEO's, Lawyers, Doctors, and assorted careers all over the map. I am now retired - have have been through many, many gift exchanges in my working career. The events had employees with PhD's - High School grads. People like to have fun at these exchanges -- and I can personally tell you people LOVE to get the goofiest gift. If they don't want to trade afterward -- they take it home and give it to a child or grandchild, or re-gift it at another party. And don't worry about party-goers being LDS! They love a nice fun party just as much as anyone else.

Yes, chocolate is Foolproof! It doesn't matter if the person can't eat it - they can take it home and share. That is not the point -- the point is fun and surprise. NO ONE WANTS TO RECEIVE A PEN SET OR A BLACK TRAVEL UMBRELLA -- this is for FUN!!!!

The most memorable gift I ever witnessed at a gift exchange occurred years ago [PhD's, Professionals, all races, religions, and genders -- all adult] was a Justin Bieber Musical Toothbrush intended for a young girl, say 8 years old!!! Everyone wanted it.

Go for fun and smiles!!!
This is actually why we (at my workplace) do a "white elephant" exchange, where you can steal each other's gifts until everything is gone - and we all try to outdo each other with the most ridiculous or silly item. Last year I gifted a ceramic garden frog, and one of my colleagues was sincerely disappointed when somebody else stole it from him. So I went back to Rite Aid (where they were on sale for like $8), and bought another one just for him. He keeps it on his desk now.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,678,760 times
God, I hated when this kind of thing got started. Who started it? Was it an executive or some clerk with not enough work to do? If so, time to take that person aside and get them more work.

Ugh. If it's some lower-paid people buying gifts for people making a LOT more money than them, then what a crock.

If you just can't get out of it, an Amazon gift card is the most universal.

I learned to get out of participating in this kind of stuff. I just told people I was too busy, had a deadline, etc. I stopped buying candy for co-workers' kids' fund-raisers, too. Finally decided - let them think I'm a snob. I just told them all, sorry, I already spent my donation dollars for the year. Let them say you're a snob, or whatever, but they'll finally stop coming around. Suited me to a tee when they decided I was a snob and they finally quit coming around to gossip or get money out of me, or get me to pick up cakes or whatever. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment