Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,145,803 times

Advertisements

Post after post, the crony capitalists keep bringing up automation. Do any of the crony capitalists on this site actually realize what it costs to automate or do they just like to try intimidating less intellegent people with empty retorhic?

While automation is possible you rarely every see it implemented (other than in major industrial processes) yet the wanna be big boys (middle managers) and frustrated small business owners keep talking about it, yet I have yet to see an automated coffee shop or fast food joint.

Is this just small time wanna be crony capitailists phycopathy coming out but they have not been able to rise far enough to the top yet to actually develop the wet dream leverage that every phycopath dreams of (having the resources of a mega corp to influance govt and make people into pseudo slaves) so they make empty threats of having automated burger joints and coffee shops?

I realize this is highly inflamitory but so is threating people trying to earn more money with empty hostile threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 AM

5,095 posts, read 2,773,285 times
Default Not Fully Understanding Your View

I am not fully understanding what you are getting at. Are you saying that automation is not possible? Or are you saying that employers like to frighten their employees with talk of automation? Or did you just want to present your view and no response is needed?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 7,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I am not fully understanding what you are getting at. Are you saying that automation is not possible? Or are you saying that employers like to frighten their employees with talk of automation? Or did you just want to present your view and no response is needed?
+1.

And OP, whether it's evident to you or not, automation is happening all over.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:55 AM

6,492 posts, read 9,873,620 times
Go to any Sheetz and you will see the future of FF. Step up to a touch screen and pick what you want. They installed those instead of paying someone to take orders. That's the first step!!!

Its costs much much less to pay for the automation one time over multiple employees coming and going.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Go to any Sheetz and you will see the future of FF. Step up to a touch screen and pick what you want. They installed those instead of paying someone to take orders. That's the first step!!!

Its costs much much less to pay for the automation one time over multiple employees coming and going.
Still there is a bunch of people in the back preparing the orders, unloading the trucks with the supplies, filling and cleaning, etc. Sure the touch screen replaces a minimum wage counter-person, but there is still a lot of human labor involved behind the scenes that the customer does not see.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:02 AM

6,492 posts, read 9,873,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Still there is a bunch of people in the back preparing the orders, unloading the trucks with the supplies, filling and cleaning, etc. Sure the touch screen replaces a minimum wage counter-person, but there is still a lot of human labor involved behind the scenes that the customer does not see.

Sure there is, but this is a start. This is where other places will start. That minimum wage worker taking orders will be replaced.

if you think there aren't guys out there figuring out ways to automate even more of the process then you need to get out into the world a little more.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 AM

15,849 posts, read 20,680,683 times
I'm an engineer and one of my tasks is automating certain manufacturing processes where we have a lot of scrap due to human error. One particular process requires about 15-20 people (on various shifts) to keep going. By next year, those people will be out of a job and replaced by 1-2 techs at a higher skill level running that process via automation. The ROI for automating shows a return within 3 years for improving the yield on this process by eliminating human touch time. This is just one particular process. There are hundreds more to be automated in the future. It's coming, and already happening.

So you may not see automation at your local starbucks any time soon, but I can tell you that unfortunately there may be 15-20 more people competing for that coffee server job in the coming year.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,814 posts, read 81,772,341 times
I don't know where the OP lives, but here not only is there automation in fast food but the mid-level restaurants have tablets at the tables. People can order, call a waitress, and pay using it, which means each employee can handle more tables, so fewer are needed. Even with my small business from 1992-2008 I invested in the latest equipment, at the cost of $5,000-$16,000 to be able to do more work with less people and better quality. A local company is making automated fish processing equipment. Look at the many youtube videos of robotics taking the place of humans. It's here now, and as workers demand higher pay or better benefits and the cost of automation drops with more competition, it will only get grow faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBa9yVZBJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0v6-icSxFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsHbFTHKpBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6U0NdwsCWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_fSP3LGw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-hfjmSCYo4

Old 11-27-2017, 07:58 AM

268 posts, read 283,872 times
It's just how people say brick and mortar stores will all die off.....I just don't believe it.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
It's just how people say brick and mortar stores will all die off.....I just don't believe it.
They just opened up one of those outside "lifestyle center" malls near me. The place is packed all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment