Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,607,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I only make purchases online<>
Groceries and other perishables?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Many jobs have been automated over the years, but the process has been relatively gradual, and not always obvious.<>
Not disagreeing with your hypotheses at all. What most of your examples represent is mechanization. The next step appears to be more involved with the decision making processes.
"Artificial Intelligence beats Natural Stupidity every time"

Old 11-28-2017, 06:24 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,183,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I worked as a self check cashier in a retail store over the summer, doing what it would have taken four or five employees to do before the advent of self check registers. They aren't crying wolf, job loss due to automation is real. Online shopping, a highly automated process, is taking away jobs in the brick and mortar stores too. And of course they are making a lot of progress in automating distribution centers and probably delivery trucks as well. Retail is a low profit margin (per item) and brutally competitive industry...they will save costs by reducing employee head count absolutely wherever and whenever they can.
Most people don't mind crap jobs being automated, its when companies start importing the products of good jobs at cheap prices that cause GOOD jobs to disappear in the USA. Also the proliferation of importing pseudo IT and engineers to do what were once good jobs that could not (or not easily) be automated.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,816,203 times
Default Rocky1975 Conspiracy Theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Just as I suspected with certain posters
Infowars and your tin foil hats are that way --->
Scientists and engineers with a high level of credibility have predicted full automation. This is a mainstream belief among these experts. Discussions about the different possible scenarios on this thread is mainstream thinking. It is you who is going against the rational thought of these experts and insisting that this could never happen and placing tin foil hats on their heads. Thus, it is you who is the conspiracy theorist who could be wearing the tinfoil hat.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 PM

7,651 posts, read 5,183,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Scientists and engineers with a high level of credibility have predicted full automation. This is a mainstream belief among these experts. Discussions about the different possible scenarios on this thread is mainstream thinking. It is you who is going against the rational thought of these experts and insisting that this could never happen and placing tin foil hats on their heads. Thus, it is you who is the conspiracy theorist who could be wearing the tinfoil hat.
telling people they are wearing tin foil hats is discredit people. The bottom line is the rich and buisness class want people dead or on the streets, that is the end game and they know its not politically correct to just come right out and say that.

They want things such that they get theirs and screw everyone else, any legislation that does not allow them to just rape everyone and everything is evil communism (even though no one ever suggested the state take over the means of production). They want to take from the society (work force, not being killed by warlords, infrastructure, etc) and then **** on all the people that make up that society under the guise of the free market or what ever else.

They want to be insualted from the really bad stuff but dont want to pay for it.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:07 AM

30,637 posts, read 12,172,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Post after post, the crony capitalists keep bringing up automation. Do any of the crony capitalists on this site actually realize what it costs to automate or do they just like to try intimidating less intellegent people with empty retorhic?

While automation is possible you rarely every see it implemented (other than in major industrial processes) yet the wanna be big boys (middle managers) and frustrated small business owners keep talking about it, yet I have yet to see an automated coffee shop or fast food joint.

Is this just small time wanna be crony capitailists phycopathy coming out but they have not been able to rise far enough to the top yet to actually develop the wet dream leverage that every phycopath dreams of (having the resources of a mega corp to influance govt and make people into pseudo slaves) so they make empty threats of having automated burger joints and coffee shops?

I realize this is highly inflamitory but so is threating people trying to earn more money with empty hostile threats.
Crony capitalists? So if someone is a business owner or in management they are pegged crony capitalists by you? I am a business owner without any cronies. Certainly I don't get a favors from government or anywhere else.

I find the future of automation very interesting. No one knows where it will go. But I think you want to inflate minimum wages and are threatened by all the automation talk. Its coming down the pike in many different ways but to say its not going to happen because its not happening now is naive. There is no wide scale drone delivery services operating now but to say because of that it will never happen is silly.

So go ahead and push for $15 minimum wages. Unions kept pushing for higher and higher manufacturing wages in the rust belt area and now we have the rust belt, NAFTA and China dominance. Same will happen with higher wages and automation. Its not a threat but a promise.

And with it you will get your UBI. That has to be the dream of leftists so what is the problem?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,034,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Groceries and other perishables?

My local grocery store offers online order and delivery.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
telling people they are wearing tin foil hats is discredit people. The bottom line is the rich and buisness class want people dead or on the streets, that is the end game and they know its not politically correct to just come right out and say that.

They want things such that they get theirs and screw everyone else, any legislation that does not allow them to just rape everyone and everything is evil communism (even though no one ever suggested the state take over the means of production). They want to take from the society (work force, not being killed by warlords, infrastructure, etc) and then **** on all the people that make up that society under the guise of the free market or what ever else.

They want to be insualted from the really bad stuff but dont want to pay for it.

I did not start with the tin foil hats. Someone else did, but I had to defend my position.

It is not really clear what the elite or powers that be want, even if they want the same thing and can agree on it. But I think that if they wanted us common folk to be dead we would already be. At any rate, it is a possible scenario but difficult to predict what would happen regarding this.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My local grocery store offers online order and delivery.
Are the prices the same as you find in the store? You don't know unless you go there.
Dry goods is an area ready for automation similar to what Amazon does now. You will pay something for the service of course.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:41 AM

51,707 posts, read 37,463,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Are the prices the same as you find in the store? You don't know unless you go there.
Dry goods is an area ready for automation similar to what Amazon does now. You will pay something for the service of course.
Yes, they are exactly the same. The only difference is when you use coupons, you have to give them to the driver to be used for the next order rather than having them taken off the same order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment