Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,156,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I hear getting a clinical liscense can get you to GS 12, once you've been an 11 a while. Is that accurate?
i believe that is correct. honestly, i've never understood the SW licensing or boarding process.

here is another random job listing from usajobs

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478916700

gs12, program coordinator (not supervisory), pay scale is higher due to location mostly and higher grade, requires a license.

i'd suggest taking a look around usajobs and searching for social work positions, look at the quals for the different positions.

i'd also give some thought to what ramenaddict mentions. i've known more than one person with no degree who has moved up to gs11 or 12 positions based on experience. it takes some perseverance and great work ethic but it can be done. start as a pharmacy tech where you've got some experience then keep an eye out for jobs that would be a good fit for you.

i actually worked in pharmacy and we had several techs move out of pharmacy to areas like patient safety, business office, clinical applications coordinator, etc. despite having no degree. some jobs only require a degree, not necessarily a specific one.

also, there are opportunities within the pharmacy to move up a bit, most common would be gs6 or 7 lead techs, certification required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,603,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i believe that is correct. honestly, i've never understood the SW licensing or boarding process.

here is another random job listing from usajobs

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/478916700

gs12, program coordinator (not supervisory), pay scale is higher due to location mostly and higher grade, requires a license.

i'd suggest taking a look around usajobs and searching for social work positions, look at the quals for the different positions.

i'd also give some thought to what ramenaddict mentions. i've known more than one person with no degree who has moved up to gs11 or 12 positions based on experience. it takes some perseverance and great work ethic but it can be done. start as a pharmacy tech where you've got some experience then keep an eye out for jobs that would be a good fit for you.

i actually worked in pharmacy and we had several techs move out of pharmacy to areas like patient safety, business office, clinical applications coordinator, etc. despite having no degree. some jobs only require a degree, not necessarily a specific one.

also, there are opportunities within the pharmacy to move up a bit, most common would be gs6 or 7 lead techs, certification required.
I've been certified since I was 18, so that won't be an issue.

Looking at the whole holland code deal, I'm definitely a Social/Artistic/Investigative type, as I like knowledge in general, and like sharing that knowledge with others. I also like a little bit of creative problem-solving and self expression. Overall, Pharmacy Tech just isn't that stimulating. Also, attention to detail was never really my strong point, and when rush hour hits, I have all these little errors pointed out to me. I'm glad I'm not the pharmacist, because I might kill somebody when it got busy.
The only job types I really am trying to avoid are conventional and realistic...and maybe enterprising, but only because I like some stability. That said, thats just going off of what some quiz told me, and I'm young enough I can probably still do trial and error to see what I like. I'm really disappointed nothing really caught my eye in college besides education and psychology, but I wasn't even able to finish that program before I had to switch to general studies because I was grieving. Not that general studies was a bad degree, its just really generic and its hard to explain exactly what I learned in it since it feels like I knew most of that stuff anyway.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:26 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,539,681 times
Regarding getting an MSW...don’t.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:00 AM

597 posts, read 1,444,607 times
Just to put in my 2 cents....Whatever you do, get out of Pharmacy. There is ZERO job security in Pharmacy. I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but there are no jobs in Pharmacy. I realize you are talking about a Pharmacy Tech career and not a pharmacist, but this is all related. The field has been destroyed by the greedy schools/board opening more and more schools. They have lowered the requirements for the Pharmacists because now they have to fill all these seats. A person now can have a lower GPA to get in and they now attending for only 3 yrs and they are handed a "Pharm D" (Dr. title). Now there are even schools that they do not have to go to the campus. They can take the classes online and only have to go on campus for 1 week per year!!!! Just 8 yrs ago, they used to graduate 8K and now they graduate 18K. Any Pharmacist over 40 is likely pushed out for the new grads because it was the big chain Pharmacies that screamed they needed more Pharmacy schools and they can hire new grads cheaper than the man who is 40 and most likely is married. They can now hire a 21yr old single girl and not have to pay for a lot of benefits. Then mix in the HB1 visas that hire foreign Pharmacists for political reasons. One tech told me that the Pharmacist at her store has such poor English that she knows the woman doesn't understand anything and can't do any counseling. She said that when the Pharmacist is going to leave for her lunch she says " I go lunch now".....that is the only thing she says to them all day. Now let's throw in Amazon. They plan on starting to sell medication. That is the final nail. Kiosks will be next and they will not need Pharmacists or techs. Between Amazon/Kiosks, it's over.....RUN away from Pharmacy as it is on life support as we speak.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 AM

200 posts, read 147,390 times
You could always continue to work as a pharmacy tech and do volunteer work in your free time.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:41 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Quote:
I really liked the psychology classes I took with my first major, sociology. Could I do something like that with a BGS in Humanities?
I don't follow. Do something like what?

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't follow. Do something like what?
Psychology related federal work with a BGS in Humanities

Old 10-25-2017, 07:53 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Quote:
Psychology related federal work with a BGS in Humanities
A zero percent chance of that happening. Peon level work requires a degree in psych. To be on a professional track you would need a minimum of a graduate degree and licensure.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A zero percent chance of that happening. Peon level work requires a degree in psych. To be on a professional track you would need a minimum of a graduate degree and licensure.
I see.
I read somewhere that you can't skip grades. Is this true even if you get a graduate degree and are trying to get into another job series?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,267,555 times
Personally, I'd rather get in to nursing than social work. Social work can be draining and the pay isn't that great.

I've noticed most of the social workers at my clinic are a little strange, lol. Dont hate me City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment