Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
My company if you call at out sick, you have to go and get a doctor's note that day or you are docked points.
That's pretty strict - So you wake up with a bad migraine or some other malady and you're supposed to get a doctor's note? I know where I live it's rare to be able to get in to see your doctor the same day you call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Being reliable still counts. Being ethical and honest counts too.

Don’t BS in work situations unless you really don’t care. People always figure it out.

If you don’t care enough to have good attendance then it’s probably time to change jobs or careers.
Fantastic post

Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 AM

86 posts, read 132,852 times
I don't really get sick very often, but I have taken a day off when I'm not feeling well. I just tell my boss I'm not feeling well -could I work that day? Usually, yes. Then again, I would rather rest and not feeling guilty if I get someone whatever I might have. That being said, I've never said I'm sick and played hooky.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
I am trying to understand the big deal about using a sick day 3 times a year if your job doesn't have PTO? Now if you are calling out sick every other week then I can see where that is a problem but not if you do it every 4 months.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I am trying to understand the big deal about using a sick day 3 times a year if your job doesn't have PTO? Now if you are calling out sick every other week then I can see where that is a problem but not if you do it every 4 months.
Several potential problems:

-first is integrity. If your company defines sick leave as time to be taken if you or a family member are ill, then you are lying. That may not mean much to many people, but it is an indication of general character.

-second is using sick leave when you might need it later. Over the years I have seen many employees use their sick leave up as quickly as they accrue it. Eventually these employees have a health care crisis just like everybody does. Cancer, collapsed lung, broken bone, pneumonia, childbirth, family member gets sick, slipped disk, knee surgery, ... If you burn sick days for silly reasons, you won't have paid leave to cover these issues.

-third is general work ethic. I remember a previous poster from Philly who had a similar pattern of using sick days. That poster would also stop working around 4:00 on weekdays and noon on Fridays, among other poor work habits. I believe he lost a few jobs, and it came as a co plate surprise to him.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Almost never. And I have also gone to work when I should have called out. So it cuts both ways.

But you always have people who take their sick time and those who lose it all---for the same pay.

Now where I work the PTO is just all lumped together. My boss has taken more days off than all of us combined.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:56 AM

63 posts, read 42,037 times
Never.

In fact, I usually go into work, even when I'm legitimately sick, and hope they let me leave early.

I don't have any designated, paid sick days... and I'm not about to use PTO for a day where I wake up and just don't feel like going to work.

Not to mention, if I call in sick, I am expected to have a doctor's note.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrkspr View Post
Never.

In fact, I usually go into work, even when I'm legitimately sick, and hope they let me leave early.

I don't have any designated, paid sick days... and I'm not about to use PTO for a day where I wake up and just don't feel like going to work.

Not to mention, if I call in sick, I am expected to have a doctor's note.

For just one day?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 AM

63 posts, read 42,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
For just one day?
Requiring a doctor's note?

Yes. While some managers are more lax than others, most of them require a doctor's note for missing one day.

Makes calling off sick less appealing.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrkspr View Post
Requiring a doctor's note?

Yes. While some managers are more lax than others, most of them require a doctor's note for missing one day.

Makes calling off sick less appealing.

How can you provide that if you didn't go to the doctor that day? That's why at my job you need a doctor's note if you are out sick for three days or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment