Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 AM

276 posts, read 178,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Never.

I try not to steal from my employer. Even if they don't reciprocate 100% of the time.
Seriously? Theft? Sick days have been negotoated into your compensation. If you're never sick then your employer doesn't have to pay you the compensation you have earned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Never in my life have I called out sick but there were times when I did call in that I was sick because the person taking the call was in the office, not out of it.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Many of us have had days when we just don't feel like getting up and going through yet another eight or twelve hour workday. We are not physically sick but just have an off day.

I would never do such a thing, but how often do some of you call in sick when you really weren't just to relax and do other things?
The job I had in Tejas made me want to call out so many times. I ended up only calling in a few times within the 2 and a half years I worked there. That place was very unbearable and the panhandle doesn't have very many other options. Quitting that place/getting fired was the best thing ever. Stress levels became nonexistent.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
I thought everyone had Paid Time off??

I just ask for time off though if I am sick, I do disclose

Otherwise calling in sick uses the same earned days so no one asks
Not everybody. I have different banks for sick, vacation and personal time off. Vacation accruesand roll over from yeartoyear, but there is a cap to the amount that can be accrued. Sick can be acciued without a cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
Seriously? Theft? Sick days have been negotoated into your compensation. If you're never sick then your employer doesn't have to pay you the compensation you have earned.
That is one way to look at it, but it is pretty limited.

Another way is to consider the impact at retirement. In my case accrued sick leave is paid out at that time. Since I am salaried, i get paid the same whether I work or take a sick day. But if I take a sick day I get less of a payout when I retire.

Also to be considered is the benefit that saving sick days can be ifyou are sick or injured long term. If you break your back or get cancer, a big bank of sick leave will pay you and keep you with health insurance. Disability and long term care does not pay as well.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Years ago when I was younger I would take a "me" day and call in sick when I wasn't. Now that I'm older and more mature I realize if I call in sick when I'm not really sick that it puts a burden on everybody else and the work will probably be backed up when I get in. Of course since I only work two days a week that helps. :-)

Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Zero.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
People calling in sick when they are not is why employers are getting rid of sick leave banks and going with PTO.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:33 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
My company if you call at out sick, you have to go and get a doctor's note that day or you are docked points.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 AM

461 posts, read 508,976 times
Never. At my previous position I was too swamped to take a day off and the work was was already piled too high. I would have stressed being at home not getting it done. My new position has an easier workload, much less stress. If I didn't feel like working I would still go in and just shuffle papers around. As long as I get my projects done, no one would care.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM

497 posts, read 484,452 times
Never. I feel guilty calling in even when I actually am sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment