Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,350,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How can I trust them if they won't even say hi to me?
Metroword -
Oh for goodness sakes, there's a big difference between saying "hi" and being close personal friends. And trusting everyone who says "hi" isn't a smart thing to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:13 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,131,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Metroword -
Oh for goodness sakes, there's a big difference between saying "hi" and being close personal friends. And trusting everyone who says "hi" isn't a smart thing to do.

Did I say I trust everyone that says hi? Please wise one explain to me how what I said translates to me trusting everyone that says hi to me? I enthusiastically await your infinite wisdom on this.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 PM

^^ You're a manager?
Wow.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:22 AM

19 posts, read 14,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I hear ya, OP. I would not like that. Never had a job like that. The jobs I've had have all been the type that essentially require being an extrovert. If anything, I was a bit over-loaded and sometimes wanted to go to lunch by myself.

Mostly, though, I liked going to lunch with work-friends, take breaks with work friends, have people to chitty-chat with during down-time, etc.

How long have you been there? Maybe it will just take a little longer than you'd like. One job I didn't click with anyone right away but then I did with one person and then her friend and then and then we had a big posse :-)
I've been here for 9 months already. I think the part of the problem is that my department is on the other floor of the building. And three people from my department recently left (two of them retired and one quit), one is on maternity leave so we are basically missing four people. There are only 5 of us left - boss, three coworkers that are much older than me, an intern and me!

Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
^^ You're a manager?
Wow.
What, I can't have a personality?

Not all managers are 50 year old boring old guys with thick glasses and act like Spock all the time. Just because I'm good at my job doesn't mean I have to act like a fortune cookie.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,481,473 times
Quote:
^^ You're a manager?
Wow.
Yes, and he seems like one of the few managers who gets it. He’s human and he acts like it here, and apparently in real life, too. What surprises me, to be perfectly honest, is all this advocacy for being a good little office drone with no personality, and who just sits in a corner cube quietly until they expire.

Honestly, who lives their life like this? In the real world, where I’m sitting in right now, co workers are being friendly and social with one another. They are sharing stories about their personal lives, what they did last night, how their families are, how they’re doing in fantasy football... GADZOOKS!!!

This is why I honestly get the impression that some of these forum dwellers tend to be the most socially awkward, reclusive people on earth that we occasionally encounter in our daily lives. I could not imagine being in such a stuffy, untrusting environment where nobody acts like the humans they are. I’d quit immediately if that were the case.

And quite frankly, I wish I had more managers in my career like MetroWord. I’d give my all to make them successful, because I know they’d return the favor. And if I ever decide to take the leap into management, I aspire to mimic his management style (empathetic, understanding, human-like).

Last edited by Left-handed; 10-06-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM

22,110 posts, read 13,129,541 times
Quote:
^^ You're a manager?
Wow.
Right?

Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Yes, and he seems like one of the few managers who gets it. He’s human and he acts like it here, and apparently in real life, too. What surprises me, to be perfectly honest, is all this advocacy for being a good little office drone with no personality, and who just sits in a corner cube quietly until they expire.

Honestly, who lives their life like this? In the real world, where I’m sitting in right now, co workers are being friendly and social with one another. They are sharing stories about their personal lives, what they did last night, how their families are, how they’re doing in fantasy football... GADZOOKS!!!

This is why I honestly get the impression that some of these forum dwellers tend to be the most socially awkward, reclusive people on earth that we occasionally encounter in our daily lives. I could not imagine being in such a stuffy, untrusting environment where nobody acts like the humans they are. I’d quit immediately if that were the case.

And quite frankly, I wish I had more managers in my career like MetroWord. I’d give my all to make them successful, because I know they’d return the favor. And if I ever decide to take the leap into management, I aspire to mimic his management style (empathetic, understanding, human-like).
Hmmm. Well, you are free to get any impression you want about whoever you want.....apparently it serves some type of need on your part.

The FACT remains that there is a difference between ''having a personality" vs being close friends with co-workers. Not everyone wants to be friends with everyone at work. Civil, professional, pleasant - YES - that is mandatory in order to have a decent work environment. But there are people who just don't want to socialize and be all up in their co-workers faces and lives.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,481,473 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, you are free to get any impression you want about whoever you want.....apparently it serves some type of need on your part.

The FACT remains that there is a difference between ''having a personality" vs being close friends with co-workers. Not everyone wants to be friends with everyone at work. Civil, professional, pleasant - YES - that is mandatory in order to have a decent work environment. But there are people who just don't want to socialize and be all up in their co-workers faces and lives.
Truth be told, I agree with you and I think that is ultimately the point MetroWord was trying to make. Sure, not every relationship needs to be a deep, meaningful friendship. But you should be willing to get along and get to know your team members. There is a whole lot of significant correlation between team chemistry and productivity.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I am only close friends with a few people I work with. The rest are acquaintances that I get along well with.

If you haven't noticed, there is a large number of CD inhabitants who advocate for anti social behavior at work.

We know for a fact that most people are extroverts. But if you've been living under a rock and only interact on CD, you'd think that the work world is full of anti social introverts with the occasional human.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating for everyone to be best friends at work. But the reality is people are human and should act as much in the work place. You want a drone as your boss or someone that understands if your spouse or kid is in the hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment