Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,624,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post
Those characteristics of a job that I think would interest me rules out some jobs, no? For instance project management, aircraft controller, or incoming call center rep at a phone company would not be a "happy job" for me (high stress, perhaps low independence), but other people may be perfectly happy in one of those jobs.

I also listed jobs characteristics in a job that I *don't* want to do. For instance I don't want to work with bodily fluids or gore. So, I would not be happy being working in nursing or EMT. I also said I don't want to deal with prospecting or rejection, so that rules out B2B sales, insurance sales, etc. Process of elimination...
Who wants a stressful job on purpose?
who wants a job that has no job security on purpose?
Who wants a low paying job on purpose?
Who wants to harm people on purpose?

Everyone wants to be paid as much as they can, with as minimal stress as they can get out of it, and feel helpful

You can be a janitor and meet your requirements, with OT, janitors can reach >$100,000 in california cleaning BART
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 PM

5,400 posts, read 6,609,810 times
Mailman. Tour guide. Personal Assistant. Tutor. Activity Director. Concierge.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:03 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,002,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Explorers. Race car drivers. High-wire circus performers. Emergency room physicians. Astronauts. Surgeons. Many other people. On a visit to an emergency room years ago, I asked the doctor who was sewing me up if he was on rotation and he said no, he worked full time in the emergency room and loved it because when the outer door flew open, he never knew what sort of challenge was coming through it. He thrived on the stress. Generalizing about the preferences of others is always dangerous.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,777,453 times
Call center

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 PM

30,538 posts, read 52,254,709 times
As a professional librarian myself, I can assure you there ARE jobs - I've been casually hunting recently (I'm employed but thinking about relocation), and if you know where to look, there are enough openings to give anyone a decent shot. Only problem is that you NEED the MLIS, so you're looking at another 2-year master's program before you could even try. Location also matters, since obviously a small town isn't going to have multiple branches and/or frequent openings. Either way, are you open to relocating?

If you really are interested, feel free to message me for advice. I am a third-generation librarian, and have been in the field for 10+ years, so I'm a pretty good source for info.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Call center
Which pretty much goes against everything they desire, and would involve much of what they dislike... did you even read the OP?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Explorers. Race car drivers. High-wire circus performers. Emergency room physicians. Astronauts. Surgeons. Many other people. On a visit to an emergency room years ago, I asked the doctor who was sewing me up if he was on rotation and he said no, he worked full time in the emergency room and loved it because when the outer door flew open, he never knew what sort of challenge was coming through it. He thrived on the stress. Generalizing about the preferences of others is always dangerous.
Good points! I know plenty of people who thrive on stress, like my sister for example... she's not happy if there's no stress/pressure in her life, which is probably why she's a high-level (sports industry) executive with two young children.

I'm the exact opposite, and love my low-stress job (which would bore the tears out of someone like my sister).

Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 AM

119 posts, read 68,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a professional librarian myself, I can assure you there ARE jobs - I've been casually hunting recently (I'm employed but thinking about relocation), and if you know where to look, there are enough openings to give anyone a decent shot. Only problem is that you NEED the MLIS, so you're looking at another 2-year master's program before you could even try. Location also matters, since obviously a small town isn't going to have multiple branches and/or frequent openings. Either way, are you open to relocating?

If you really are interested, feel free to message me for advice. I am a third-generation librarian, and have been in the field for 10+ years, so I'm a pretty good source for info.
That's really encouraging to hear. :-) BLS has the outlook for librarians at "2% (Slower than average)," but as you said location plays a big role. My wife is pretty much tied to her job so I cannot relocate very far, unfortunately. I will send you a message.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM

12,113 posts, read 17,228,774 times
I am in a very similar situation and I believe I know what you want in a job.

Basically, you want to get out of the corporate rat race of stress, ladder climbing, and dealing with undesirable personalities and doing work that is relatively unmeaningful to you.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of the jobs you picked were also ones I was considering, though I am very willing to deal with touching people and fluids.

So my list also consisted of nurse, and social worker. Teacher was also on mine, as was PT.

I'm still trying to get a good push towards making a change, my life has been very hectic recently.

But my advice to you would be to see what those jobs are like before you pursue. For instance, you can sit at the library or pharmacy every day for a week and see what those people do.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 PM

12,113 posts, read 17,228,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
who wants a job that has no job security on purpose?
Who wants a low paying job on purpose?
Who wants to harm people on purpose?
As a general rule of thumb, 75-85% of people will not sacrifice any significant amount of salary to pursue a job that might give them more enjoyment or satisfaction (or believe there is no such thing as an enjoyable job).

So when you imply everyone is looking for the same thing, it's fallacious.

And it's exactly the reason why it is so difficult to switch careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment