Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,803,309 times

Advertisements

Well working for free must not bother those folks much. It's their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM

13,179 posts, read 21,357,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I find it amusing how much time and effort people put into observing others time and work habits in the workplace. Perhaps, a crazy idea, if more people cared about their own success individually instead of comparing to the person in the next cubicle, their own success may become much more likely.
Ah, but you missed the main point, it's not about their own successes or possibility of success. No, that means they actually have to be worthy of the success. It's all about everyone else success having strings attached. It is so much easier for a loser to point to flaws everywhere around them instead of looking in the mirror to see why they the real failure.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,726,086 times
We are raising a whole new generation of entitled people who want to work as little as possible and still be successful.......does not work that way, sorry.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,293,908 times
when I worked as an hourly temp at a big corporation the hours we worked were super strict. You couldn't attend a meeting unless you clocked in, you were not permitted to bring work home, you could not work more than 40 hrs a week. The company had been sued and lost a major case so they were very sensitive to the fact that people needed to not work for free.

My co-worker frequently worked over time just so he could get his jobs run and he always ended up fudging his hours so he had 40hrs. He ultimately got hired full time with benefits and is now salaried with a bonus but I'm pretty sure he works the same hours as when he was temp.

When I went permanent, it was a way to sidestep the new Obama regulations that salaried managers making more than 48k did not have to report their overtime hours and all the exempt folks must work 9 hr days. that would mean 730 to 530 with lunch and it's a long day.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM

13,054 posts, read 9,380,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Hard work is always rewarded. ....
Quote:
...Of course they can't understand that there is always a reward attached to hard work. (Not necessarily monetary; more likely inner satisfaction for a clear conscience.)....
Quote:
LOl.
I guess I should know by now it's part of the script: Exaggerate and put words in someone else's mouth.

I never stated "all employers always reward". The reward has nothing to do with outside forces. It is an internal reward driven by work ethic and character. One doesn't need external recognition or monetary compensation to be rewarded.
Put words in your mouth? Those are your words, straight from your mouth. Now I suppose you can equivocate and say "hard work is it's own reward" but that's just what it is, equivocating when what we're talking about here from the first post was payment for services rendered.

Would you work for free for your employer just to feel good? How many hours? 4? 8? 20? When does it transition from feeling good to being exploited?

Old 05-22-2017, 05:42 PM

28,123 posts, read 64,095,333 times
I think the best situation I've seen are with small closely held businesses...

One of my friends came down with cancer at age 63... her boss kept her on the full year until she was medicare eligible and for that she will be always great full... it was a rough go but 7 years cancer free and they did not amputate her leg.

The company I worked for had an extended illness bank and over the years I accumulated the max of 480 hours... when the new owners came in the entire 480 was lost and replaced with state disability that pays a fraction...

I've learned that the larger the company the more the lawyers are involved and the follow through from corporate is very poor...

Over the years my prospective has changed... there is a lot to be said for changing jobs with due diligence as opposed to staying on the job at one place... several friends have worked for all the big names in the Santa Clara Valley and have done extremely well... they were recruited for each position and mostly with employment contracts clearly spelled out.

I still value very much my time in a Union Shop and never experienced the negatives many have mentioned... the local called a strike and none of us wanted to strike but we did and the boss was sympathetic... highly skilled tool and die makers from the old school are no nonsense but fair.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM

811 posts, read 635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Would you work for free for your employer just to feel good? How many hours? 4? 8? 20? When does it transition from feeling good to being exploited?
Finally!
Someone asked!

I work for free a minimum of 10 hours a week. Why? because I enjoy what I do and like to keep our customers happy and the doors open. I prosper, the other employees prosper, and the company stays competitive in the marketplace.

Why do you have such a difficult time working for free? And why are you so preoccupied with being "exploited"? (Your word.) Unless you're going to put your resources and treasure on the line and start your own company you should be thankful for a job.

Do you not devote time to other things in your life for which you are not paid? What's so wrong with donating a few hours to the hand that feeds you?

Be honest. It's because you resent the people above you making more money than you, isn't it?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 PM

19,718 posts, read 17,047,441 times
Quote:
Finally!
Someone asked!

I work for free a minimum of 10 hours a week. Why? because I enjoy what I do and like to keep our customers happy and the doors open. I prosper, the other employees prosper, and the company stays competitive in the marketplace.

Why do you have such a difficult time working for free? And why are you so preoccupied with being "exploited"? (Your word.) Unless you're going to put your resources and treasure on the line and start your own company you should be thankful for a job.

Do you not devote time to other things in your life for which you are not paid? What's so wrong with donating a few hours to the hand that feeds you?

Be honest. It's because you resent the people above you making more money than you, isn't it?

What you are doing is investing in your career. 90% of workers are just that, workers. The 10% who move ahead and who forge solid careers for themselves got there by going the extra mile. Any of these people who say they would not work for "free" had better never start their own company, because they would find that the owner puts in a Hell of a lot of "free" hours and long days.

If someone wants to be an assembly line worker, where the whistle blows to start and end your shift, that is fine, but don't look down on the people who want more than that and who are willing to put out the extra effort to get there.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 PM

529 posts, read 514,456 times
There are a lot of laws in place just to protect stupid people. One example is how it is illegal to claim you're something you're not (including doing no work for the person) and ask for money. Think internet scams we're people claim you're royalty. These scams are laughable. Anyone dumb enough to fall for it who is able minded deserves every penny taken because they were just greedy. Yet, I think we all know they got laws that punish all sorts of variations of this simply because people are stupid. You would think the same would apply to employers and employees, but that's not the case because employer mentality dominates America, despite the many rights and liberties individuals have. In fact, I'd say it is because of the liberties individuals have the employer can dominate. As long as the Individual doesn't report and accepts being Taken, it's ok by the law. America is about doing you. Not the other guy. Keep your head down and secretly laugh at them in private. Who cares long as you get yours. That's your America.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 AM

28,123 posts, read 64,095,333 times
Some can't do this... what's right is right and to stand by "Just Because" you get paid every two weeks is a sorry excuse.

The best is attempting to work through the system and if that fails those of character will separate themselves...

Workers are only sheep if they allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment