Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,555,056 times

Advertisements

Someday it will be considered "retro" to shop in stores, and you'll start seeing hundreds of blogs by young hipsters extolling the virtues of it over buying on-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,384,470 times
At this point, there are many people who don't use the internet, so they don't shop on the internet. I personally buy many items on the net, except clothes. Usually the clothes don't fit or aren't the right size. Just received slippers I ordered on the net. Size too small even though same size as my last pair. Grrrrr. Hate returns...

Old 05-17-2017, 08:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This is probably relevant...

Amazon worth almost twice as much as Walmart - Apr. 4, 2017

The world's largest bricks and mortar retailer is only half as big as the world's biggest online retailer. The biggest fish in the pond usually swallows or kills off the smaller fish.
That's based on market cap, outstanding shares times cost per share. I hate when people talk about what a company is "worth" based on that because neither Amazon nor Walmart own the vast majority of those outstanding shares. They do not have access to that value. They sold the shares at an initial offering and received the offering price. At ~$1000/share if I own 1000 shares of AMZN that's a million dollars. But it's my million dollars, not Amazon's. They can't spend it, can't use it. Comparing the two based on assets, Walmart clearly has the upper hand.

Amazon has $45 billion liquid assets and $83 billion total assets. Walmart has $58 billion liquid assets and $198 billion total assets.
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NA...atement/Assets
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NY...atement/Assets

Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,384,470 times
The use of on-line retailers for most purchases has resulted in a huge number of boxes and other packaging being shipped. I sure hope those of you receiving cardboard boxes are recycling them! Between the gasoline required to deliver these packages and the many boxes utilized, our planet is being deluged with pollution.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,558,407 times
shrinking US always had more retail spaceerson in the world

to put things in perspective EU is like 3:1 while US is 50:1

don't know exact numbers but yes its freaking borderline over-saturated.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,231,627 times
The logistics of trade between producer and consumer is certainly shifting.
Sadly, the upper (mis)management of some BIG BOX stores fail to realize that it's more than just reducing the cost for transporting product or service from point A to point B.

Wal-Mart is committing Box Store Suicide. They've succumbed to mindless panic and greed, and have reduced staffing to the point that they're not only driving away customers - but they're losing employees who can't live on 20 hour work weeks. Their personnel budget woes are partially self inflicted. A stupid decision to boost entry wages while capping long term workers' wages really blew up in their faces. They can brag that they're not hiring at minimum wage BUT the dearth of hours makes it impossible for workers to stay on. Then there's AHCA - that is another boat anchor that should've been repealed.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,633 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
At this point, there are many people who don't use the internet, so they don't shop on the internet. I personally buy many items on the net, except clothes. Usually the clothes don't fit or aren't the right size. Just received slippers I ordered on the net. Size too small even though same size as my last pair. Grrrrr. Hate returns...
There are still 40 million Americans without internet, about 13%. E-Commerce requires a bank account, debit or credit card, and here are still 7% without a bank account, whether they have internet or not.
For the above, places like Walmart retail are going to be the best option, but in limited geographic areas.

13 percent of American adults do not use internet | PBS NewsHour

Study: The Percentage of Americans Without Bank Accounts Is Declining | Fortune.com

Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,124,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This is probably relevant...

Amazon worth almost twice as much as Walmart - Apr. 4, 2017

The world's largest bricks and mortar retailer is only half as big as the world's biggest online retailer. The biggest fish in the pond usually swallows or kills off the smaller fish.
I love amazon but the truth is if the fed govt does not bust them up under anti trust it could be VERY bad for the nation. They are like the modern day equivalent of standard oil. I am looking forward to using amazon into the future and hopefully anti trust is fully enforced to ensure prices stay competitive even after they have gobbled up the brick and mortar.

If the govt does not intervene things will get bad, real bad.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,124,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The use of on-line retailers for most purchases has resulted in a huge number of boxes and other packaging being shipped. I sure hope those of you receiving cardboard boxes are recycling them! Between the gasoline required to deliver these packages and the many boxes utilized, our planet is being deluged with pollution.
We have a special cardboard recycle bin that gets picked up with our trash, along with recycling the packing material or reusing it. We have so much card board that sometimes I have to truck some of it to the recycle center myself.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's based on market cap, outstanding shares times cost per share. I hate when people talk about what a company is "worth" based on that because neither Amazon nor Walmart own the vast majority of those outstanding shares. They do not have access to that value. They sold the shares at an initial offering and received the offering price. At ~$1000/share if I own 1000 shares of AMZN that's a million dollars. But it's my million dollars, not Amazon's. They can't spend it, can't use it. Comparing the two based on assets, Walmart clearly has the upper hand.

Amazon has $45 billion liquid assets and $83 billion total assets. Walmart has $58 billion liquid assets and $198 billion total assets.
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NA...atement/Assets
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NY...atement/Assets
This truly doesn't make any sense. Every corporation is by definition 100% owned by its shareholders, who are the final arbiters of the 'value' of their investment.

If a stock is priced at a certain price per share by the market and the market is liquid, the value of the company and its market capitalization are equal, and found by multiplying the share price by the number of shares outstanding.

The assets and liabilities of the company only indicate the companies approximate liquidation value, which is irrelevant to an ongoing concern properly priced by the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment