Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times

Advertisements

Department store shopping is a joke. Everything is overpriced. You can get some good deals at outlets but even there some of the prices are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Then business for parcel services like FedEx and UPS must be booming.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:19 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Department store shopping is a joke. Everything is overpriced. You can get some good deals at outlets but even there some of the prices are ridiculous.
For me, it's the customer service issues. Or what passes for customer service, if it could even be called that.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I have been on three shopping trips and came home with nothing. I don't think I have bought a new dress in two years. Reason? There is nothing out there with sleeves. I live in the south. I don't show my upper arms and I don't want to put a jacket on every time I leave home. Get me something worth buying and I will buy it.

I don't buy shoes that have a thong either.

I heard a store clerk telling another customer that was complaining that all the dresses were sleeveless that they had continually told their buyers the customers were complaining but they keep sending the sleeveless dresses for them to sell.

I do better shopping in my closet than I do shopping in the stores.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Is it dying out?

Of course it is, as even the OP admits reading the demise of retail.

Look around you, I certainly don't see anything healthy about the retail sector.

Wanna guess when's the last time I even walked into one of those brick and mortar stores to buy anything (that doesn't also have an online store like Target)?

Old 05-15-2017, 03:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have been on three shopping trips and came home with nothing. I don't think I have bought a new dress in two years. Reason? There is nothing out there with sleeves. I live in the south. I don't show my upper arms and I don't want to put a jacket on every time I leave home. Get me something worth buying and I will buy it.

I don't buy shoes that have a thong either.

I heard a store clerk telling another customer that was complaining that all the dresses were sleeveless that they had continually told their buyers the customers were complaining but they keep sending the sleeveless dresses for them to sell.

I do better shopping in my closet than I do shopping in the stores.
Agree wholeheartedly about not wanting to purchase sleeveless dresses or having to wear a jacket with them. Many women don't wear sleeveless as they get to middle age and older. We have money to spend but designers don't seem to want to make clothes for our age group. They are losing $$'s because of that.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Have you ever looked at Eshakti? Its on-line, but they make a lot of dresses with sleeves.

But even better, you can add sleeves (of varying lengths) to most styles as well as change the neckline, the length, and add or remove pockets. You can also have items tailored by entering your measurements. Any alterations are only $10 total. Its pretty cool.

Women's Fashion Clothing 0-36W and Custom

Old 05-15-2017, 04:05 PM

543 posts, read 703,485 times
There is plenty of retail to shop at as long as you don't mind shopping for items thrown all over the floor. Have you seen a Family Dollar, Label Shopper or TJ Max type store lately? Some look like a bomb went off in the store.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is it dying out?

Of course it is, as even the OP admits reading the demise of retail.

Look around you, I certainly don't see anything healthy about the retail sector.

Wanna guess when's the last time I even walked into one of those brick and mortar stores to buy anything (that doesn't also have an online store like Target)?
In my area, higher end stores are doing very well. The shopping area near my home is busy all the time. It's not a mall and also has a number of restaurants and specialty stores. Even a thriving Barnes and Noble.

Also, a huge mall is being built off of the next interchange south of us. Looks like there will be apartments built next to it and a movie theatre with the reclining seats. Our county has been growing very fast as a relocation area due to good schools and also as a popular retirement location due to a good tax rate for seniors.

So retail is not dead everywhere.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
There is plenty of retail to shop at as long as you don't mind shopping for items thrown all over the floor. Have you seen a Family Dollar, Label Shopper or TJ Max type store lately? Some look like a bomb went off in the store.
Maybe go to higher end stores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment