Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM

173 posts, read 170,544 times

Advertisements

I was offered a new job via email and phone call last Friday. I have accepted over email (saying "yes, this salary is fair", etc.) However, I am still waiting for the official paperwork to come through. The company said that I should receive everything today (Tuesday) before EOD and if HR doesn't send me the paperwork, I should contact the hiring manager again.
Is it too soon for me to let my manager at my current job know? We have a big meeting later on today to discuss a big project and roadmap for said project. I wanted to let him know ASAP and before this meeting. However, I don't want to do anything before I sign anything official with the new company.

What should I do? Wait for the official paperwork before telling my manager or go ahead and tell my manager now before signing anything official with the new employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
I would definitely wait til you have the offer letter, have signed it, and received delivery confirmation of the offer letter back at HR, and gotten an official start date. The last thing you want to happen is the new company rescind the offer (which can still happen), and you've already given notice.

Congratulations on your new job!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
NEVER say anything until you have that official offer letter via email attachment or snail mail, you sign it, and send it back.

A verbal offer or simple you got the job email ain't worth anything. I don't care if Joe City Data member never had an issue with something similar.

Always be safe.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Thanks. How long does one have to wait to get a written offer? It's been 48 hours and nothing so far. I'm starting to get nervous.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
Thanks. How long does one have to wait to get a written offer? It's been 48 hours and nothing so far. I'm starting to get nervous.
Why are you nervous? It isn't the end of the day yet, and they have already offered you instructions on what to do if you do not receive the paperwork.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Why are you nervous? It isn't the end of the day yet, and they have already offered you instructions on what to do if you do not receive the paperwork.
Yes, they say that if I do not receive anything by end of day today, to contact the hiring manager tomorrow so she can push HR along.

I am nervous because I've spend the last two hours googling "verbal but no written offer" and have been reading stories of people waiting several weeks, never getting a written offer or hearing again from the company, or the company rescinding their offer.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Unless you have a written employment contract with the new employer, they can terminate your employment 1 second before you walk in the door for the very first day of work.

Everyone complains about the At-Will concept of employment but forget they have the exacts same rights as their employer. So, don't be like all the other rats following the Pied Piper and be a cowards by doing what the "man" expects from you, stand up, be an adult and do what is RIGHT for you.

When you get the offer letter in hand with a start date, notify your current employer of the need to take some emergency days off that corresponds with your first week at the new job. Go to the new job and after a week if you are still working and all looks good, contact your old employer and resign effective immediately. You are not required to tell them why, you are not required to give them any notice; just resign effective immediately and move on to the new job and forget all this nonsense of when you tell your employer!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

When you get the offer letter in hand with a start date, notify your current employer of the need to take some emergency days off that corresponds with your first week at the new job. Go to the new job and after a week if you are still working and all looks good, contact your old employer and resign effective immediately. You are not required to tell them why, you are not required to give them any notice; just resign effective immediately and move on to the new job and forget all this nonsense of when you tell your employer!
And then never expect to use your former employer as a reference. This is just terrible, TERRIBLE advice. Sign the offer sheet, get a start date, do the drug screen or whatever is required and then give your current employer a two-week notice.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Getting the offer letter may be at the top of your priority list, but it is not at the top of HR's list. There are many things that happen in day-to-day operations that cause things like this to get bumped.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unless you have a written employment contract with the new employer, they can terminate your employment 1 second before you walk in the door for the very first day of work.

Everyone complains about the At-Will concept of employment but forget they have the exacts same rights as their employer. So, don't be like all the other rats following the Pied Piper and be a cowards by doing what the "man" expects from you, stand up, be an adult and do what is RIGHT for you.

I like my current employer. My manager is great and the company has a great reputation. I don't want to burn any bridges and would like to use them as a reference in the future. I have quite a bit of responsibility in my current role and I need to hand off work to the appropriate people in a timely manner. I don't want to leave them in a difficult situation - especially now since it's the end of the quarter. I plan on giving them at least a 2 week notice if/when I sign all of the paperwork for the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment