Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:23 PM

29,590 posts, read 23,063,098 times

Advertisements

Interesting that the OP has yet to provide any updates, so I can only presume the OP is still deciding how to word the question.

Majority on this thread realize the futility of asking an interviewer or employer why they never got a job offer or why the employer decided not to proceed with them for a position.

You're always going to get the 'safe' answer (if at all). This safe answer is usually a general "we decided to go with a more qualified candidate." Or something even more generic, "thank you but we decided to move on to other applicants."

And to those who say, "but what if I want to know how I can improve my chances for next time?"

To that I say, get over it. You STILL won't get any helpful or meaningful suggestions on how you can improve your chances of getting a job there. If they don't want to hire you, they don't want to hire you. You can go on to get a phD or earn a dozen valuable certificates or do something spectacular on your current or future job, and that still won't mean jack to an employer that doesn't want to proceed with you.

Have some self respect and move on. If someone doesn't want to hire you, save your ego and energy and put it towards being a better person in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,210,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting that the OP has yet to provide any updates, so I can only presume the OP is still deciding how to word the question.

Majority on this thread realize the futility of asking an interviewer or employer why they never got a job offer or why the employer decided not to proceed with them for a position.

You're always going to get the 'safe' answer (if at all). This safe answer is usually a general "we decided to go with a more qualified candidate." Or something even more generic, "thank you but we decided to move on to other applicants."

And to those who say, "but what if I want to know how I can improve my chances for next time?"

To that I say, get over it. You STILL won't get any helpful or meaningful suggestions on how you can improve your chances of getting a job there. If they don't want to hire you, they don't want to hire you. You can go on to get a phD or earn a dozen valuable certificates or do something spectacular on your current or future job, and that still won't mean jack to an employer that doesn't want to proceed with you.

Have some self respect and move on. If someone doesn't want to hire you, save your ego and energy and put it towards being a better person in general.

And please, please do not show up to the office with your parent in tow demanding to see the supervisor and/or director to find out why you weren't selected. Yes, this just happened and the applicant had already been informed more than once that they weren't selected. Needles to say his name has been blacklisted in our system.....I guess he thought bringing in his parent (who works in the same company) would persuade us to change our minds. It didn't.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,940,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And please, please do not show up to the office with your parent in tow demanding to see the supervisor and/or director to find out why you weren't selected. Yes, this just happened and the applicant had already been informed more than once that they weren't selected. Needles to say his name has been blacklisted in our system.....I guess he thought bringing in his parent (who works in the same company) would persuade us to change our minds. It didn't.
WOW really? Grown ass person brings their parents in? or was this a young blood?

I been turn down but never ever got anybody involved why i was turn down. I have been turn down over some stupid sh that wasnt even part of the job or requirements. I just laugh and move on, but funny thing is they keep calling me for other interviews in the company. Nope not going to put my self through that hassle, or gas.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,210,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
WOW really? Grown ass person brings their parents in? or was this a young blood?

I been turn down but never ever got anybody involved why i was turn down. I have been turn down over some stupid sh that wasnt even part of the job or requirements. I just laugh and move on, but funny thing is they keep calling me for other interviews in the company. Nope not going to put my self through that hassle, or gas.

I kid you not. I can't even make this crap up. We are still laughing and shaking our heads about it...that kid won't work in our company for a long time and will never work in out depts.

He was in his early twenties and it was obvious that daddy thought his special little snowflake deserved the position. The best part was when the hiring super came down to talk to him, the dad tried to muscle his way into the private room..the super said, "no, i'm talking to Snowflake alone..." and shut the door in his face. Dad was like, 'It's ok, I'm his dad...I can come in"...nope...all he got was closed door to the face.

The super made it very clear that this little stunt was uncool and unprofessional and pretty much sealed his fate in our depts. The kid was red faced when he left and dad was pissed...lolololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment