Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,800,437 times

Advertisements

What you want to know, is really not something they can really tell you. All they have to do is to say that the other person for one reason or another (one they can prove), was a better candidate than you were. It may not be anywhere near the true reason, but it will stand up to scrutiny.

Your managers were pushing for you to try for the move. Another manager, etc., was pushing for the other person to be moved to that position. It can be as simple, as who had the one with the most juice as they say behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,350,216 times
Going out on a limb:
Maybe you weren't the best qualified for that job.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,080,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesobad View Post
I work for a state institution, for whatever that is worth. I am wondering if I have the right to ask my HR department why I wasn't chosen as a final candidate for a job opening within this institution. It was a lateral move and I was encouraged by the dept. powers that be (not hiring managers) to apply. We're talking a dept of 10 people. You can imagine my shock when I wasn't chosen for the job.

TIA.

You can ask, but you'll be told that more qualified applicant was chosen.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,936,851 times
Quote:
I work for a state institution, for whatever that is worth. I am wondering if I have the right to ask my HR department why I wasn't chosen as a final candidate for a job opening within this institution. It was a lateral move and I was encouraged by the dept. powers that be (not hiring managers) to apply. We're talking a dept of 10 people. You can imagine my shock when I wasn't chosen for the job.

TIA.
I think the better question would be: "What can i do to improve chances in the future?" and take that information for what it is worth.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,163,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You can ask, but you'll be told that more qualified applicant was chosen.
This. The only safe thing for managers to say in answer to the question is that the candidate they selected was more qualified.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM

35,163 posts, read 31,453,865 times
They're not going to say anything just for liability reasons.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,773,048 times
You won't get anything out if them except that a better candidate was chosen. It's best to move on.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 10,554,472 times
Quote:

TIA.
You can always ask for feedback. And definitely frame it that way, as feedback. A lot of times they will willingly tell you something useful and truthful, but not always. Encouragement to apply is no guarantee of a position but you should consider it a compliment regardless and as a sign that you were at least a contender and qualified. As someone has been the person doing interviews, etc., I know that sometimes if we're lucky there are multiple well-suited candidates and it isn't so much that someone didn't do something right as the reason why they didn't get the job, but rather that someone else just had a little something better - a slightly better qualification in one area we were looking at, better rapport in the interview, more experience, better credentials, etc. If your HR is doing things right, you not getting hired is nothing personal and doesn't mean they wouldn't consider you or hire you for a similar position in the future if you're the best fit - so try not to be discouraged.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:53 PM

372 posts, read 523,260 times
Years ago, I applied for a public health nurse position with a local county government. I was told they were looking for two positions to fill. The interview went great (I talked with the nurse manager and a staff nurse for almost two hours), and was told it could take up to two months before they reached a decision. Less than a month later, I went to the mailbox, opened it and pulled out an envelope with the County's name and return address on it. I didn't bother opening it. I just tore it into shreds and threw it away, disappointed beyond belief and OVER three years of looking for work during and after the "Great Recession". I called the nurse manager and asked her if she had filled both positions. She was nice enough to let me know that she had only been allowed to fill one. And with that, I called it quits, allowed my license to expire and retired from nursing. And, I haven't looked back.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,837,427 times
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with an internal job. I asked the recruiter why they passed on me. They told me they were looking for a candidate with more experience in one area (digital media in this case). I had about 15 years experience at that point and this was a mid career position. My resume may not have had the right buzz words for a recruiter to pick up on but if a hiring manager actually read my resume and experiences I'm sure they would see I had plenty of relevant experience.

The moral of my story is that I did why I didn't get considered for the position, I got an answer, the answer was uninformed but it didn't matter because they made their decision already. I am sure they hired another internal candidate that already worked in that department and knew the team and that's probably what happened in your case. So ask if you want but don't expect a satisfying answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment