Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM

28,119 posts, read 64,026,968 times

Advertisements

I've worked for small mom and pop companies and mid size... both had very long term employees and I would say loyalty was strong.

Can't say the same for big companies... people come and go at the drop of the hat... there is always someone higher up that can pull the rug or shut down the department... those I know that have done very well moved around a lot and often recruited.

So I would say it depends...

The company with 50 people had extreme loyalty... one of the office ladies got cancer and we all worked together to cover her shifts with company blessing... they/we stuck with here and years later she has not had a remission... was out better part of a year and the owner said the last thing she has to worry about is her job...

One of my friends worked in construction and was injured in a car wreck... hit by a drunk and was no longer able to to the physical work... the boss made him an estimator and he still says what a great company it is to work for... when times are slow the boss would ask if there are people that wanted time off... for others he often found things they could do around the shop, vehicles even paint and roof the warehouse... just keep the guys with pay checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,594,000 times
I'm loyal to projects and teams, not corporations. Projects and teams have finite durations.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,729,189 times
Not at all, but I'll do my job to the best of my ability while employed.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 AM

35,364 posts, read 31,849,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not at all, but I'll do my job to the best of my ability while employed.
Same. Big corporations can have impersonal feel where people are coming and going, but there is something nice about being able to stay somewhat anonymous. I've found out that in smaller companies, people are often let go for petty reasons.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 9,486,678 times
Be as loyal to your company as they are to you.

For most employees, that's not much.

A better plan is to develop a network of peers who work for many other companies. Keep up to date on how you are doing relative to how they're doing. When you need to make a change, contact them.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

38 posts, read 33,464 times
I've never been loyal to a company/job.

Individuals, yes, although they are few and far between.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Does the company you currently work for actually promote from within and do what they say?

I actually didn't want to leave my previous employer because I could see that they promoted people from within, allowed them to grow, etc. All of my supervisors and/or managers had been lower on the totem pole. I had left mostly because I couldn't do the commute anymore. But as soon as a job opened up in a location that was good for me, a previous manager actually called me and told me to apply even though she has nothing to do with the job. She just told another supervisor about my work so he wants to talk to me about the position. I'm actually interviewing there tomorrow.

Where my husband works, they are full of hot air. They have told him at his annual reviews that next year, he'll be doing this, that and the other, yet none of it comes to fruition. They never actually follow through with anything and they never promote anyone. Knowing that, he has been aggressively applying to get out of there.

For me, it would also depend on my current situation. I actually wish I stayed at my previous job and just continued to wait it out until something came along. I was just tired of waiting. Of course, there were numerous positions that popped up AFTER I left the system, which drove me nuts. I don't like my current employer nearly as much. Do you actually LIKE where you are? Where I am now, people seem kind of miserable and there is a lot of fighting.
Do they do what they say? I don't know. There is no official track, so my boss and I are forging the road ahead ourselves with their blessings. They can very well back out, she said it herself. Do I have good faith in them that they won't, no. Their hands may be tied or any other myriad of reasons.

I do like where I am. I can't say that there are many if any things that I don't like. With that said, I stayed at my first job WAY too long because I liked it and was comfortable. It is a mistake I think I have corrected by jumping around every 2 years since. At the end of the day different people are motivated by different things. For some it's money, for others flexibility and time off, and for even others it's the work itself and the challenge. If I was to rank myself, money comes out on top for me. If the job I am going to offers me more money and is in the field so that I can continue to grow my skills, I'm taking it. I can always switch a few years later. Flexibility is nice, but I could live with a little rigidity if I'm increasing my pay.

So all in all, I'm not desperate, but I would be kicking myself if come December they just came out and said, we appreciate all your hard work, here is your Sr. title, but you're keeping your current rate.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Being "loyal" to an employer in the private sector is a mistake. They will fire anyone without notice even if you have one penny in the bank and no food at home. They don't care about you (anyone).
100% agree. In my situation, I'm talking more about being loyal to my boss and seeing our plan through, not really being loyal to the company. I don't believe anything the higher ups say.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
Be an adult and tell her what you are deciding /trying to decide
This idea actually came to me today, but I don't know how crazy it is. If I get a written offer from this new place, go to my boss, and ask for the same to stay. Tell her that I wasn't really looking and don't want to leave, but it's hard to pass up the extra $$. Don't know if I'll just be told to take a hike.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T.Dave View Post
Dear katestar,

I am a SR software developer with a graduate degree.

1. In the land we live in, loyalty is to G-d our lord while all others have to produce those green notes that say just that "in g-d we trust".

2. Just because you worked your "arse off" It does not mean you produced anything of value to any-one. It's not about being a "hard worker", it's about being a "smart worker" or productive worker.

How much can you get else where ? Gan you get anything significantly better ? Then go for it.
I agree with you on that. But I had just had a review at the job and was told what a great job I was doing and how they value my contributions etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment