Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:53 PM

322 posts, read 385,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Because there's a huge perception that you're worth what you make. If you're making $50K, you're seen as a $50K guy. If you ask for a bump to $75K, it's like, "Whoa, wait a minute, that's 50%! You need to pull the moon and the stars out of the sky for such an enormous bump!" But you go to a new employer, and they're "We need this job done, $75K? OK, no problem."

I have had two times where I told an employer, "I'm underpaid. You know it, I know it. What are we going to do about it?" and I came out with a 20%+ increase. But, usually, they view a 5% increase as big. Most of the time, the way you get a real increase in pay is with a new employer.

When I left my last job, I was looking around and nobody was blinking an eye at my requirement for a salary 15% over what I was making. I wound up taking a new job with a different customer and the same employer for a few reasons, and part of that was my laying it out on the table that I could easily get that much more. We'll see what happens when they release reviews! If I get another increase that's basically a COLA, everyone knows that I can walk across the street for more.
^this exactly. I just moved into a new role at my current employer and the required skills would fetch an additional ~$15k outside of the company. I came in to the company already underpaid by ~$10k, and now after moving into a more challenging position, I'm still at the same initial salary that I came in at. It's company policy to not allow any salary negotiation for internal transfers. This benefits the employer hugely and completely screws the employee out of a deserved increase. It would be a win-win if they would give me an increase, because A) they don't have to bring in an external candidate, which is a huge unknown, and likely to cost them upwards of $15k more than I'm making, and B) even if I only got a $10k adjustment, it's a gesture that shows they recognize the value of those new skills.

Sounds like your employer did the right thing by fixing your pay. I don't think mine really cares about my pay, even though I've had multiple directors tell me how valuable I am to the company. HR is all about short-term cost minimization (salaries) no matter what cost it is to employee retention/engagement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,338,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
For government jobs

Most people are pretty loyal due to the benefits time off stability and how very humane the environment is

Nobody wants to leave nor is looking to leave anytime soon.

So yea we are pretty loyal
And I would say, for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt137 View Post
<snip> In addition, I am in a similar situation where I am in a good place with my job and was recently offered a position in state government, which is something I have sought for years. However, I have a very supportive supervisor and great coworkers right now- I have struggled a bit with wondering if it's fair to leave them and pursue this when they have been nothing but wonderful to me. But I also know that the opportunity that has been presented to me is a rare one, and if I don't take it, I will probably regret it for a long time. Any feelings of guilt I have for leaving an employer will fade, but I don't think feelings of "what if" over not taking a great opportunity will fade over time. If you know what you want and you are given the opportunity to have it, by all means, you should take it.
Yes, these opportunities are rare indeed and usually do not present themselves more than once in a lifetime...usually and generally speaking, unless there are other circumstances involved (large family of relatives all in various government positions and agencies=a wider circle of opportunities and introductions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Being "loyal" to an employer in the private sector is a mistake. They will fire anyone without notice even if you have one penny in the bank and no food at home. They don't care about you (anyone).
This; live and learn.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM

403 posts, read 366,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Being "loyal" to an employer in the private sector is a mistake. They will fire anyone without notice even if you have one penny in the bank and no food at home. They don't care about you (anyone).
Yes. It's a rat race out there and you def should not be "loyal" to any employer, esp in the private sector. I definitely do my best at my current role but I would never bend over backwards for "work", and would consider other opportunities as they come. Of course, that is within reason.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,351,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
And I would say, for good reason.

Yes, these opportunities are rare indeed and usually do not present themselves more than once in a lifetime...usually and generally speaking, unless there are other circumstances involved (large family of relatives all in various government positions and agencies=a wider circle of opportunities and introductions).

This; live and learn.
Really depends on the company overall

Some companies ( private and public) are pretty good in treating their employees well ( good pay, good work conditions, good benefits)

Other are complete inhumane companies where loyality is at the bottom of the barrel

Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM

244 posts, read 416,732 times
I am loyal to employers that treat me well. I have also jumped ship, with no notice, because I have been treated poorly. It all depends on the situation. You have to stick up for yourself, but I think a certain level of loyalty cultivates proper treatment by your employer.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 AM

687 posts, read 619,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Sounds like this is coming form personal experience? I don't disagree with you. I'm not that comfortable, I've only been here a year and a half. I am up for a new challenge, always. My only hesitation, is that I've never had a boss go to bat for me and support me in moving up and actually working with me on that path. Do I just run away anyway?
I should have read this thread earlier. We are posting on almost the exact same dilemma. It does feel like running away... the promise of something better that you cannot predict, vs. the bird in the hand.

For me, I keep wondering if I am a coward for not sticking it through and going forward with plans with my current employer. Even though they are showing faith, I am afraid the plans will fall through, and I will be left dry. Does that justify seizing a sudden opportunity and not taking the chance, like they are willing to do? Will I be that rolling stone?

We could have tea and talk about the moral and spiritual consequences of these cross-road decisions.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,127,185 times
Fine line between loyalty and sucking up.

In my previous employment there were quite a few people sucking up to their boss, sometimes unashamedly so: "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir!"

But then there's a certain sense of loyalty in terms of teamwork and getting the job/project/problem done, even if it means going beyond your regular hours.

Loyalty (and sucking up) can work for a person I guess, especially when it comes to promotion/job-cut time.

But at the end of the day you should only be loyal to yourself: everyone else out there is ready to use you and abuse you given half the chance - and private sector corporations are good at that!

Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,107,670 times
If it's a situation where I'm offered a significant salary increase/more stability/higher potential career growth, etc, then my duty to my family is always going to come first. I will take the job because it will help me provide a better life for my family and will help ensure security for retirement. That said, if I like my current employer and they have been good to me I will give them an opportunity to counter and if they can get close to the other offer I'm more likely to stay. There is something to be said for being happy in your current situation and the people you work with and for, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment