Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times

Advertisements

Oh... I was curious... I Googled, "living in a van trend" and the search results were interesting!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/l...american-dream

People are ditching apartments to live the 'van life' | Circa News - Learn. Think. Do.

Millennials Are Ditching Apartments For #VanLife

"My sister insisted that the van lifestyle is a major trend. " | MetaFilter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
I knew of one guy, worked emt and another full size gig. He had a van, with a bed, and a storage locker for his stuff. His side gig was a waiter.

He would shower, groom at work, or trucker rest stops . Eat at work, and had a 5 day cooler, permiting groceries. He steams most of his food items.

In the 70s , there was a movement of van/car dwellers. A 76 caprice classic offered rooom. But , people were burned alive in their vans, due to heaters or cooking appliance they used. Residents would get tired of finding chared vans on the morning. It was depressing to see someone living like this.

The guy , emt, i know was off a little, looked tired, and appearred to have a bad back and joints. He always did have a look to him, and always smelled of "outside".

There is not much you can say to a co worker living like this, really.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:45 AM

421 posts, read 204,894 times
I 100% support this "rent free" off-the-grid movement I'd be lying if I said a similar living/housing strategy hasn't crossed my mind in the past

This strategy is ESPECIALLY relevant for us single/no kids guys. Think about all the things supposedly paid for by "property taxes"; things like community services, rec centers, welfare, kids stuff, schools, etc..... in other words things that don't really pertain to single/no kids adult males at all

Why are people *without* kids or who are not female/mothers nonetheless forced to pay for all this stuff?? It makes no sense Only people who USE services should be required to pay, logically speaking.

Security? The police you say? An in-shape young man is unlikely to ever require the "services" of the police, so there's another "service" that mainly exists for women and children. Personally I've only called the police like one time in my ENTIRE life (and it wasn't even for any "violent" reasons, but an annoying trespasser who wouldn't leave), they are of no use to me as an in-shape young man that can defend himself just fine.

As long as they leave me alone or aren't committing crimes?? I don't mind "people who live in their cars" at all

I say good on them The "system" is a giant rip off for most people anyways (sucks as much $$$ as possible out of people, while providing as LITTLE as possible in return), any (legal) strategies for protecting oneself from so much theft/greed are quite honorable and admirable, actually

Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I would just rent a room. Fixing up a van to be livable costs a lot of money and requires technical skills. That's why the people you see doing it were relatively successful before they became vehicle dwellers. There are others who are homeless and do it out of survival.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM

554 posts, read 622,708 times
I would think they living in their vehicle and keep it moving,

Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would just rent a room. Fixing up a van to be livable costs a lot of money and requires technical skills. That's why the people you see doing it were relatively successful before they became vehicle dwellers. There are others who are homeless and do it out of survival.
Geez... A 1 bdr in Wicker Park where I used to live costs $1600+, not like the Free housing I got in a 3 story house I was supposed to inherit.

But I might get an $8500 to $11,000 trailer, which pays me back in 1 year of mobile living. I have to hang out in the suburbs or else cities will give me $125 tickets with a trailer. Unless I sleep overnight / park in 24 hr mall parking lots.

But yeah, I have the Technology and knowledge from a Mech Eng degree to go high tech with living homeless in either a trailer or vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment