Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,484,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I think if the person living in a van/mini van/SUV ect, can take care of basics of life such as eating, grooming, and health and sanitation needs, then living in a vehicle is no big deal.

It's true that we have an affordable housing crises in this country. Not everyone can afford a McMansion or luxury condo. Start building affordable housing instead of making it a crime to be homeless.

Exactly! Affordable housing is a definite need where I live but too many people in my area equate affordable with low income projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM

289 posts, read 222,228 times
The thought had crossed my mind before. Not that I can't amply afford my bills, but the thought of getting away from it all sounds appealing. I also think about the money I would save, even if for just 6 months or so. Unfortunately I couldn't pull the trigger now for several reasons. I have a dog and she'll be, god willing, with me for a few more years; I could never coop her up somewhere for 9+ hours a day while I'm at work. I also drive a Nissan Altima, so even without my little one I couldn't swing it in a car that size. Any money I'd save by not having rent would be severely hampered by the money I'd need to buy a used van or truck with camper. Now when I retire I'm hoping to buy a decent 10-year old RV and travel the country for however long I want. That idea sounds beyond appealing, nothing beats travel.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM

6,796 posts, read 5,561,740 times
TRy living under a bridge next to the railroad tracks.

And no, I was not earning a 6 figure salary, in fact no salary.

I did it because I had no where else to go.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,388,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
You know, I sometimes thinking of traveling around the nation doing contract jobs... and I'd live in my minivan... But I'm also either towing my Honda or a cargo trailer [to carry extra stuff].

But there are cities off my list to visit, or to be very careful off. They STUPIDLY imprison or fine you for living in your vehicle.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/10-...elessness-2014

https://www.google.com.ph/webhp?sour...ving+in+a+van?
Wow....This is heartbreaking. So sad.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:55 PM

12,882 posts, read 15,235,681 times
I wouldn't judge the person. As long as they arrive to work on time, do their job like anyone else, & don't expect pity/handouts, etc., then fine.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:58 PM

277 posts, read 332,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
None of my goddamn business.

This - times ten.

Why the hell can't people mind their own damned business.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:29 PM

787 posts, read 652,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
What would you think of them and doing this?

Check out this webpage, even a 6 figure engineer lives in a VAN. Not an RV, ok?!

‘It’s comfortable’: Couple living in van has no interest in going back to condo | CTV Vancouver News
I'd say they are intelligent and will be successful throughout their life.

I was actually very close to doing this myself but what held me back was I would have to buy a vehicle large enough to live out of and that sort of defeated the purpose, that purpose being saving money.

It's very liberating to not pay rent, if I had a paid off van or SUV about six months ago, i'd be doing it now. In the army, I slept in worse, and I'd be pocketing 2k a month extra not counting utilities.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:03 PM

500 posts, read 322,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
To be honest, I'd think s/he was a little nuts -- or weird, if nuts is too judgmental. Just being honest.

That's because my initial reaction would be 'who the hell WANTS or prefers to live in a van.' And like the OP says…NOT a tricked out RV -- a van.

I'd have to also see the van, to really know exactly what "live in a van" means. If you're talking a minivan…where does the person wash up or use the bathroom. And, no I don't think it's "normal" to be willing to go to McDonald every time you need to go to the bathroom. A box shaped or delivery van would had more room, but you still can't even stand up straight in it.

Now if you're talking just living a minimalist lifestyle -- that's one thing. You only have 3 outfits, one pair of shoes, no TV? Fine. Live in a van? Uh, no.

IF the person has been homeless and had no choice that also changes my opinion of the situation. Ultimately, it's not my business…but I'm just answering the OP's question: what would I think about it.
OMG! Well, that did it for me; no vans, RVs or such if they cannot accommodate my shoe collection.

And yes, some people do ask if I am Imelda's Anglo cousin many times removed...

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 PM

45,971 posts, read 61,454,861 times
Default If I knew a co-worker was living out of a vehicle

I would be positive he's a first year teacher.
Yes, that's a true story for more than one I taught with.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:40 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,057,440 times
It's a hard knock life. Heaven only knows the circumstances that caused this person to be living in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment