Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,043,046 times

Advertisements

I had a boss who would give us one roll of toilet paper at a time. He wanted that roll to last a week. If we ran out sooner and had to ask for more, he would start screaming that "you girls must have the cleanest ~ in town".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 04:04 PM

13,020 posts, read 9,306,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
It's not. Physical labor never is unless you agree to do manual jobs when you fill out the temping paperwork. They could make someone do it and they could pull their back and now both companies get sued. More so the job that made the temp do it, because the agency will say "We never cleared that person for manual labor". Not only is it sneaky, it's stupid.
Yep, in more ways than one. For us it was "Janitors cost." To which I replied "how much do you think I cost?" "Oh, we already pay you, so you're FREE."

Meanwhile the work piles up.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,214,082 times
I once worked at place that was so cheap they didn't put any TP in the stalls. Employees had to bring their own TP.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:14 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times
Quote:
It's not. Physical labor never is unless you agree to do manual jobs when you fill out the temping paperwork. They could make someone do it and they could pull their back and now both companies get sued. More so the job that made the temp do it, because the agency will say "We never cleared that person for manual labor". Not only is it sneaky, it's stupid.
The problem is any manager can pull the "they wouldn't do their duties because it is one that can be covered under 'other duties as assigned.'" I had to check for Medicare billing from my job when another Special Education Paraprofessional asked me if it was a requirement, at first I didn't see it (it was there) but I knew "other duties as assigned" was so I said it might go under that. The issue is, is it worth it to fight if that was truly a duty or one of these vague other duties as assigned by claiming unemployment after quitting over it or going back to your temp agency (except in your specific case of that company doing it to every temp that walked in their doors.)

Listen, I am not one of those saying, you're asked to do it, do it. I think it is stupid to be asked to have custodian duty added to your title when it isn't key to your job title and duties. That said, if it is dumping your own trash or recycle, that I am fine with. Doing it for others unless there is an agreement, is just stupid.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:28 PM

184 posts, read 145,502 times
The school started charging each teacher $25-$50 each semester for each appliance that was in their classroom (like minifridge or microwave or coffee maker or fan or heater) to cover the cost of electricity for that appliance. They didn't charge us for lamps, however, so that was kind of them.

Whatever they may have saved in electrical costs, they sure lost in morale. It's apparently become pretty common in several of the school districts around here.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
The school started charging each teacher $25-$50 each semester for each appliance that was in their classroom (like minifridge or microwave or coffee maker or fan or heater) to cover the cost of electricity for that appliance. They didn't charge us for lamps, however, so that was kind of them.

Whatever they may have saved in electrical costs, they sure lost in morale. It's apparently become pretty common in several of the school districts around here.
I think they do that in my district. I remember an email memo with that idea going around for us at the beginning of the year...

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,856,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It is customary to bring new employees out to lunch. Guess who gets to buy? I DO because I am the manager. Not a huge deal since I don't have new employees all that often but none the less, it's pretty sad the company can't cover it.

Our holiday parties are fully planned and funded by the employees. We bring in our own dishes or throw in cash for food. The company doesn't cover any of the cost. I heard a rumor that anybody director level or up was required to pitch in a gift for the gift raffle. I'm not positive that is true though.

Your company sounds pretty cheap. I bet the higher executives get perks! Just curious, what kind of revenue does your company make yearly?

I am thinking a couple bowls of punch, cookies, chips and soda would not break them, however, I could be wrong!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,856,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I once worked at place that was so cheap they didn't put any TP in the stalls. Employees had to bring their own TP.
NOW... that is CHEAP!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It is customary to bring new employees out to lunch. Guess who gets to buy? I DO because I am the manager. Not a huge deal since I don't have new employees all that often but none the less, it's pretty sad the company can't cover it.

Our holiday parties are fully planned and funded by the employees. We bring in our own dishes or throw in cash for food. The company doesn't cover any of the cost. I heard a rumor that anybody director level or up was required to pitch in a gift for the gift raffle. I'm not positive that is true though.
The latter is rather common when it comes to holiday party. The high school I work at has done that the two years I've been here.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 PM

89,203 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Quote:
I once worked at private company that was great salary and benefit wise. A senior member actually brought her old coffee maker in when she got new one and demanded everyone start bringing in cups, sugar, coffee, filters, and creamers. She wouldn't take no for an answer when I legit told her I don't drink coffee. I would think that was cheap, but when I used to temp there was a sign saying if you took coffee to put 1.20 in a tin next to the coffee put if you weren't a member of the coffee club. Many places don't provide free coffee or cups, even for customers.
Well, we didn't expect the coffee to be free. We had a club. But for 36 of the 37 years I was there, the office supply person in each division could order cups for coffee or water. They had those filtered water cooler systems, but then there were no cups. Most people bought bottled water and then refilled the bottles during the day. It wasn't the biggest problem in the world, but it was all because the politicians were afraid that they would be criticized/not re-elected if they were making life too good for us low-life public employees.

It got embarrassing at times, because as part of my job, I had to run meetings that included outside lawyers for whom we paid their firm $800 an hour to advise us on a $4 billion project. They would ask for water, and I would have to send someone running around the floor asking people if they happened to have any plastic or paper or styrofoam cups, maybe left over from an office lunch or something, so that we could give the people in the meeting some water from the water cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment