Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My (former) workplace is so cheap I was fired instead of the tech who hadn't received a raise in 5 years (he's been there 6 years), is constantly complained about, often necessary to have another tech take time to clean up his mess, and they keep him because they were paying him $5/hr less than me. In other words they would rather pay less for sorry help, than pay more for competency.
I know how you feel. I am a part time employee at a doctor's office and VERY flexible about how many hours I receive each week, probably the most flexible employee in the world. I was considering leaving my job due to the company changing my duties and decided against it after working out the issue with my employer. I have since changed my mind again about leaving. The reason? My boss is so cheap he only wants to give me hours at the very last minute if the schedule fills up. The rest of the time he doesn't want to pay my meager salary even for a day. So I'll be called maybe a day in advance, told they want me to come in, work that day, and have no idea when they want me to come in the next time because the doctor doesn't want to pay me wages for another day unless he has to.

That is pure BS and I have never had to deal with such a miserly boss, particularly a doctor. I am leaving right after I hit my anniversary so my CV looks better to the future employers. The sad thing is that when I leave he will be in a very bad position because he won't have anyone to pitch in when any of his employees wants or needs to take time off, since they are all full time, and he will have a very difficult time finding a P/T employee willing to put up with that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:57 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I know how you feel. I am a part time employee at a doctor's office and VERY flexible about how many hours I receive each week, probably the most flexible employee in the world. I was considering leaving my job due to the company changing my duties and decided against it after working out the issue with my employer. I have since changed my mind again about leaving. The reason? My boss is so cheap he only wants to give me hours at the very last minute if the schedule fills up. The rest of the time he doesn't want to pay my meager salary even for a day. So I'll be called maybe a day in advance, told they want me to come in, work that day, and have no idea when they want me to come in the next time because the doctor doesn't want to pay me wages for another day unless he has to.

That is pure BS and I have never had to deal with such a miserly boss, particularly a doctor. I am leaving right after I hit my anniversary so my CV looks better to the future employers. The sad thing is that when I leave he will be in a very bad position because he won't have anyone to pitch in when any of his employees wants or needs to take time off, since they are all full time, and he will have a very difficult time finding a P/T employee willing to put up with that nonsense.

I've heard conflicting opinions on that if you want to quit, then just quit. Life is too short to waste even a few extra months on a job you don't like. While some advice says to stick around for 1 year, some HM won't really be that strict as to consider someone who's been at a job for 13 months, whereas if you've only been there for 10 months, then your CV gets discarded.

Unfortunately, if you're pissed/annoyed enough at your current situation, then you DO need to leave. It sounds like your boss got into this mess himself, and he's using you to take the shaft.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,812,851 times
My last company I believe violated OSHA laws by not having enough Men's bathroom stalls for the volume of people per floor. There was like a 60:2 ratio for Men to stall. It was awful when you had to take a dump.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:21 PM

130,632 posts, read 12,166,919 times
I worked at one place where they locked up the toilet paper & only issued one pen per quarter. Never mind we had clients sign documents all day long & the pens went missing at least once a day. Glad I left.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,435 times
I had a position similar to Scooby's while working as a Saturday delivery driver for a small florist. I was told 9-5, deliver orders, help in the shop with putting orders together, clean-up, etc. I was very flexible yet on a punch clock and they were very anal about that part. They'd call me Friday night and ask could I come in at 7am, for example, to get flowers to a morning funeral and I'd oblige. They'd ask me at 2pm on Saturday could I stay on and do a 6pm delivery for a wedding, etc. I'd oblige. But most days if they had few orders they'd ask me to leave at 2 or 3 instead of pay me through 5pm close. Even though the 3 shop workers stood around and did nothing until close, I'd get asked to leave to save them a few bucks.
Then they asked if I'd cover a vacation week for their M-F driver and I agreed. Most days I was done by 2, and they'd ask me to leave,though I know the regular driver would sit in the back until 5pm when she was working and play on her iPhone. I'd seen her do it when I worked seasonally for them.
Well during this week gig I was delivering to a local hospital and I fainted in the lobby and was taken to the ER. I called the shop and they came and got the shop van. I was in the ER for 2 hours and then one of the girls from the shop picked me up and took me back to the shop to my car. The next day I was too sick to work still and the owner texted me and told me that my ''services were no longer needed as I wasn't reliable''. Such nice people, not.
All their help was hourly, no benefits, no appreciation. Needless to say I was getting weary of the way they conducted their business and was glad to be done with it. Real tightwads who drove new Beamers and paid cash for a condo in Hawaii when they retired last summer.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:42 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,007,593 times
cheap ?

At a good paying union job ( 19 years there) the company never had a company picnic .

One year it was posted that the company was putting on a company picnic with free food and beer for its 200 employees and family.

A friend of mine worked in the office and told me the purchasing agent was calling around asking for quotes on hamburger and hot dog buns.

He called several large bakeries and stated he certainly did not want fresh buns as day old or older would be fine. He said....." it's just for a company picnic anyway"

He got all the really old buns for hardly nothing and my co-workers said when you tried to open them, they crumbled apart as they were so old and dried out.

I did not attend as I knew if the company was that cheap about buns, they were even more cheap about the hamburgers and hot dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment