Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:13 PM

32 posts, read 41,588 times

Advertisements

Just watched Steve Harvey on YouTube and he said he had been fired 10 times in his life before Family Feud , can anyone beat that?
And no it isn't an interview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 PM

26 posts, read 24,578 times
I think it was Sally Jesse Raphael who was fired like 18 times in her career before she hit it big with her talk show.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:30 PM

30,844 posts, read 18,625,531 times
I haven't been fired, but my career is still young. Many successful people have been let go from work throughout the course of their careers, though. If you can rebound from being fired/let go, you'll often be better for it.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:20 AM

10,848 posts, read 15,008,980 times
Two times, best thing to ever happen to me.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:32 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,349,823 times
I've been fired once (rightfully so, I will add), laid off once (that one upset me - I was totally blindsided by that one). The layoff worked in my favor though. The job I eventually got after that turned out to be AMAZING and I'm still here seven years later, having been promoted three times during that time as well.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:42 AM

35,353 posts, read 31,793,012 times
I was fired from a contracting firm. I had recently gotten a raise. It turns out I was just the first shoe to go - most everyone who worked there with me was gone in six months to a year.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,307,184 times
Fired at age 18 from a warehouse job that required arduous, extremely heavy physical demands. Recall for instance pulling skids with mdse. that weighed up to 3,600 lbs. up a ramp to the loading dock.

Reason for firing: They hired a PI who discovered that I met the admission requirements for a local university to which I had applied senior yr. in high school. The co. claimed that they were "grooming" me to be a store mgr. at one of their dept. stores, and college would interfere with that plan.

They were right of course; had no intention of staying there. This family-owned co. was a hell-hole that ran seven or eight very low end dept. stores in the poorer sections of Baltimore, selling junk, I mean absolute junk!

Really motivated me to get a college degree, so in that regard, it was a blessing.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:44 AM

672 posts, read 707,961 times
Yes, I have been fired once. Initially It made me feel like a failure, but at the same time, I felt like I was put out of my misery. Although I could see it coming months ahead it still was a hard pill to swallow when it happened.

At the same time it was the best thing to ever happen and occurred at the right time. At my current job, I make almost 2x the wages, have excellent benefits, job stability and actual career path that I can build on. The biggest benefit was that my stress level went down tremendously, because the pay wasn't commensurate with the level of stress the job caused. Also, the pay increase help me break the 'just getting by' barrier to I can actually, comfortably and realistically, make and plan big life economic decisions along with saving money.

I'm not mad at all about it now.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,356,699 times
I got fired from a start up call center many years ago
I wanted to quit anyways because they were dip****s about scheduling
I was a student at this time

I was asking strictly to work the day shift and
Not graveyard or weekend shift
I lasted only 2 week because I refuse to work unhealthy hours
Until today I hear that company went out of business

Lesson learned: dont work for a start up or 24 hour business again

Old 12-23-2016, 10:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,197,268 times
I think just one time. I wore flip flops when I was supposed to be wearing sneakers. I think I had also been late a couple times. If I recall I was juggling several part-time jobs at once, and this particular job was the lowest priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment