Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,494,575 times

Advertisements

Got fired once for being Jewish. Seriously.

Got laid off three years ago. Life went on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,816,348 times
I got fired today. No seriously, I did!

Not so much fired, but our boss told us today that he sold his book of business and closing the doors as of Friday. It was a small office, but now 4 people are out of a job

Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,860,206 times
Four times.

1. From a massive supermarket chain. Store manager was a scumbag both personally and "professionally." His assistant manager was an unhappy, miserable wench with the personality of a plastic fork. They gave me very few hours, I wanted more, and they retaliated.

I was re-employed in only 5 or 6 days at a different part-time job that a relative got me, in which I was much better respected and liked by management.

2. From a lefty-left, pie-in-the-sky, super-feminist non-profit in California. These a-holes were actually some of the most passive-aggressive, fake nice, and yet condescending people I've ever met. Not just worked for, but met. They were nice and helpful enough until they stuck proverbial plastic knifes very slowly into the backs of my office mate and me. My office mate got to keep his job by the skin of his teeth, but they continued to make his life a living hell. I was not so lucky (or, maybe I was lucky...yeah, I was lucky).

Re-employed nine days later at another non-profit that still had a lot of drama and even much higher turnover, but in a role in which I was exempt from much of that drama and management BS. So I stuck with that for a while.

3. From another non-profit, although one that actually does some good for the private sector. This wasn't a huge loss, I was let go from a job I hadn't even started yet because I didn't "register" for my user name and password "quickly enough" to work remotely. I had attempted, and had demonstrated that attempt, but the manager that hired me was unresponsive in my requests for help. Then that same manager, I later learned (from a friend who worked for the non-profit), was complaining about my unresponsiveness, only to encounter the same technical errors one month later with his new hire of choice. LOL.

This was a part-time, contract gig. Psssssssh, whatevs... Found a better part-time job about two months later.

4. From a military facilities firm, private sector. The president was constantly depressed, and the CEO was hell on wheels and the sole reason this company constantly had 50-60% turnover. I'm talking high turnover among all levels of staff, from the COO to senior project managers to the interns. Screaming at and belittlement of staff was a daily thing across numerous media--person-to-person meetings, group meetings, emails, etc. It also didn't help that my job coach and direct supervisor were both just...ugh, too. Gave my 2-week notice only 2.5 months into the job, but was fired the next day by the president.

Good riddance, jerks. I found a different job four months later, which I have since recently quit because the direct supervisor at that job would constantly call staff meetings with all of her staff, sans me, and would wait 2+ months to review any of my work.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:10 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,318,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Got fired once for being Jewish. Seriously.

Got laid off three years ago. Life went on.
Care to share the whole story?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM

4,419 posts, read 6,304,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
She's in North Texas. It happens.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,853,653 times
It took me 52 years but I got fired yesterday. I worked in admin for an accounting firm for the last 2.5 years. The reason that was given was that I was not as detail orientated as he wanted. Really... My goals we met and more every more, I took 1.5 sick days off in 2 years and always went above and beyond even at tax season.
Needless to say I am in shock and stunned. My cell has been blowing up with texts from co workers saying how shocked they were also.

Going to do a major change of work and get my CDL drivers license and join my hubby on the road as soon as our youngest finishes school.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
My employers were Mormons. I knew that when I took the job. I should have known better.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
She's in North Texas. It happens.
It happened in Austin though.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM

17,802 posts, read 15,650,757 times
Quote:
Not so much fired, but our boss told us today that he sold his book of business and closing the doors as of Friday. It was a small office, but now 4 people are out of a job
I don't differentiate from MY perspective whether I was fired, laid off or as has happened, a contract ended.. It all means the same to me.. I'm not working. Although.. Yeah.. When in an interview, I'll differentiate.

But.. I've been very lucky.. I've been unemployed for 3 days in my life.

I got laid off from a job that I had for 10 years in '09.. But I smelled what was cooking and had been doing part time work for a year.. So, I walked out and was full time within 20 minutes at the part time job.

The part time job was actually on a contract.. The contract ended in '12, after several renewals.. And we were negotiating the renewal all the way up until the last few days, when they decided there was no way to reach an agreement and broke it off. Surprised me a bit.. but, within 3 days I had another job and i've been here since. It was a weird situation because they wanted me to do less for the same amount of money.. I felt that it would negatively effect the workflow and didn't want to do it. Programmer life.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:53 AM

37 posts, read 31,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It took me 52 years but I got fired yesterday. I worked in admin for an accounting firm for the last 2.5 years. The reason that was given was that I was not as detail orientated as he wanted. Really... My goals we met and more every more, I took 1.5 sick days off in 2 years and always went above and beyond even at tax season.
Needless to say I am in shock and stunned. My cell has been blowing up with texts from co workers saying how shocked they were also.

Going to do a major change of work and get my CDL drivers license and join my hubby on the road as soon as our youngest finishes school.
I know how you feel. Better opportunity awaits you. I've been laid off twice and fired once (that one was as a substitute teacher after my 2nd lay off while searching a job. I felt that it was better than temping since I set my schedule. It gave me more flexibility to look for permanent work. All that was needed is a bachelor and clean record to become a substitute); and all 3 were a shock for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment