Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Say you get an offer from an out of state company. Neither is the work, location, or salary your first choice. They want an answer in a very short time frame and at the same time, you're interviewing with your dream company in your town. The out of state company is completely inflexible with extending your deadline for accepting the offer. You accept the offer from the out of state company and then your dream company in your town makes you an offer than you can't pass up.

Would you renege the out of state company, especially if they don't have a presence in your local area and it's in a town you probably will never consider moving to in the future?
Yes. Simply let them know asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:28 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I really hate to ask but everyone is using the same word - 'renege' - is this a new concept/word (and if so what does it mean?) or is just that the spelling of the word 'reneg' has been changed very recently? I have just never seen reneg spelled with an e on the end .. how do you pronounce it?
I've always seen it as renege.

re·nege
riˈneɡ,riˈniɡ/
verb
go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.
"the administration had reneged on its election promises"
synonyms: default on, fail to honor, go back on, break, back out of, withdraw from, retreat from, welsh on, backtrack on; break one's word/promise about
"he reneged on his campaign promises"
another term for revoke (sense 2).
archaic
renounce or abandon (someone or something).

Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've always seen it as renege.

re·nege
riˈneɡ,riˈniɡ/
verb
go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.
"the administration had reneged on its election promises"
synonyms: default on, fail to honor, go back on, break, back out of, withdraw from, retreat from, welsh on, backtrack on; break one's word/promise about
"he reneged on his campaign promises"
another term for revoke (sense 2).
archaic
renounce or abandon (someone or something).
Thanks. I expect my old habit will die hard (I know my spelling is how I learned it in grade school) but at least I learned something new today. My spellchecker didn't try to correct me when I spelled it without the e at the end mind you .. perhaps both are still acceptable. I pronounce it ri' neg so that is still right I think .. I would have thought it should change with the extra e on the end - as in ri' neeg. When I see that extra e my mind actually wants to pronounce it as ri' kneej (if that makes sense) .. with the g going soft and the middle e long.

I just went looking online to see if I could find out if Canadian/British spellings were different for this word - and remarkably it seems that as the language morphs to one that is spelled more phonetically, dropping in particular silent letters, especially at the end of words, whoever taught me that word when I was young (some 55-60 years ago now) must have been very progressive indeed for the times. Usually American spellings are the 'simpler', more intuitive ones (Americans dropped that superfluous u out of just about every word I learned to spell with it still in for instance) but in this case I think it is the other way round.

(sorry for taking this thread off track .. p.s. OP, take the local 'dream job'.)

Spelling reform - cut redundant letters - OzIdeas

"The trend in dictionaries and in popular spelling is to slowly remove redundant letters. Dictionaries now accept scores of 'cut spellings' as in
demon, omelet, economy error, ether, exotic, horror, medieval, music, program, develop, salad, satin and toxin,
which are increasingly replacing the old spellings of
daemon, omelette, oeconomy, errour, aether, exotick, horrour, mediaeval, musick, programme, develope, sallad and satin.

Other spellings that have had their surplus letters dropped include: abominable, adrenalin, author, characteristics, control, critic, deposit, domestic, employe, energetic, exorbitant, exotic, fabric, falter, frolic, gelatin, gothic, governor, havoc, iambics, judgment, lanolin, mirror, octet , paltry, paraffin, phenomenon, phlegmatic, physic, politics, public, quartet, quintet, reneg, reostat, rhetoric, rustic, septet, sextet, shallot, sheik, superior, tenor, tepee, teutonic, toxin, traffic,and translator"

Last edited by Aery11; 12-22-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 07:33 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,404,756 times
Dream job, hands down. Always put yourself first, as long as you do it in the most professional way possible (i.e. don't just fail to show up for work at the other job- for some reason, this happens a lot in business and it blows my mind)

Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,535,958 times
Since the out of town company plays that kind of hardball they are a slave camp. Move along, nothing to see here.
"Very happy since I left the Gulag"

Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Say you get an offer from an out of state company. Neither is the work, location, or salary your first choice. They want an answer in a very short time frame and at the same time, you're interviewing with your dream company in your town. The out of state company is completely inflexible with extending your deadline for accepting the offer. You accept the offer from the out of state company and then your dream company in your town makes you an offer than you can't pass up.

Would you renege the out of state company, especially if they don't have a presence in your local area and it's in a town you probably will never consider moving to in the future?
Yes, I would.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
Have we had "exploding offer" defined yet? I'm honestly curious.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,863,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Have we had "exploding offer" defined yet? I'm honestly curious.

Me too. I took it to me that the offer is dependent on a quick acceptance, since the OP stated they wanted his answer in a very short timeframe.

Although I had never heard the term "exploding offer" before either so I could be wrong.

Last edited by missik999; 12-22-2016 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 02:47 PM

176 posts, read 177,448 times
Quote:

Why did you say yes to the out of state company in the first place????? Sounds like it will be crappy job you don't want , and then you're trapped in a place you don't want to live...If they treat you like this NOW, while they're trying to get you to say "yes" just take a quick moment to think about how they will treat you when you're under their thumb as an employee......Imagine asking for a time off....or taking a sick day or etc.... With hiring practices like those, sounds like they most likely have a high turn over. Even if you tell them no, don't be shocked when they contact you again. I've told places "Id die before I work here" and 6 months later they call again...

Do you currently have a gig? Is the out of state gig in any way related to your dream company? think six degrees of sepration here.....

but you should tell them NO THANK YOU, regardless of your status with dream company. Life is too short...nothing will break you like working for a ****ed up company

Old 12-22-2016, 03:18 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,863,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I really hate to ask but everyone is using the same word - 'renege' - is this a new concept/word (and if so what does it mean?) or is just that the spelling of the word 'reneg' has been changed very recently? I have just never seen reneg spelled with an e on the end .. how do you pronounce it?
As far as I know it has always been spelled with an "e" on the end.

That is how it was spelled on my fifth grade spelling test. And that was quite a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment