Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 05:48 AM

17 posts, read 22,021 times

Advertisements

Going off my last semi-related topic ladies, how do you feel about the dress code for women in your job or in general? Do you think it's fair, or unfair? Even though I am now, I still think it's ridiculous that in certain places at least wearing a Bra is an actual requirement. We have to conform to patriarchal norms that are ridiculous I think.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,094 times
Well I work in IT, and therefore am not customer-facing.

Nevertheless, a rule was introduced by management affecting both sexes in terms of a tightening up of the company dress code.

For women, we have to wear bras, singlets, bandeus or camisoles; in addition we can't wear low-cut or diaphanous blouses, tight-fitting jeans or short skirts anymore, for reasons never truly explained by those that make up the rules.

I guess this would seem appropriate for female colleagues in constant contact with customers/suppliers/higher management etc, but for us back-office types, especially working in dirty and/or hot conditions within a datacentre, it is rather a handicap.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
I have a problem with dress codes, especially anything regarding shoes or bras. I have a skin condition which makes bras extremely uncomfortable. I still wear them, because I am embarrassed not to, but it makes me so angry that I have to put myself through that every day for no good reason. Breasts are not that scary.

I also can't wear any kind of heel because of foot problems (I'm old, that's why I have all these problems), and actually heels are very unhealthy for feet. A dress code that says I have to wear something that causes lasting damage to my feet and makes it too painful to walk makes me really angry and frustrated.

At my current workplace we don't have much of a dress code, so I wear comfortable shoes and the most comfortable bra I can find (usually some kind of jog bra), usually with a simple cotton dress, but I don't know what I'd do if I had to work in a place that required a more formal look.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Looks like the OP is still smarting from her last thread and still needs to vent. Maybe she needs to let it go?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-employee.html

Nothing wrong or bad about dress codes. If people don't like it, they can find another job.

Last thing we need are 'heroes' who get offended by certain dress codes, and start going to work in ridiculous outfits and post them online to prove some point (as discussed in another thread).

I've never worked in any job where there was a strict written defined dress code as far as I was aware. These companies never said, you have to wear this and that. Obviously people were mature enough that they didn't wear anything offensive or risque and what people wore was never an issue.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 AM

299 posts, read 350,443 times
When you are a grownup, you understand that things in life aren't fair, and that drawing a line in the sand about little things is a choice only you can make and hopefully live with the consequences.

I know "little things" is subjective, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth making a stand.

If you have a medical condition that can be supported by your medical provider, reasonable accommodations can be made. If the company is, to your interpretation, unreasonably draconian, you have to ask yourself if this is a place for which you want to work.

I am a woman with a few medical conditions. I cannot wear constructive clothing (i.e., a tight fitting bra), so I wear comfortable sports bras. I didn't need a medical clearance for that. I cannot wear heals or non-supportive shoes, so I wear running shoes made to support pronating gait. I provided medical clearance for that. Since my employer already provides an ergonomic environment, I don't need to request a good chair, support tray for my keyboard, etc.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:34 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
As an active and fee-paying member of the Patriarchy, one of my most enjoyable activities is to herd young women into my office and berate to them that their clothing is not revealing or sexually themed enough. Most of them accept it as they should but some have the nerve to talk back to me. I simply say something like, "Look ma'am. I heard that you're doing this job to support your dying mother. Now we both know the economy here ain't so great. So you can wear this maid outfit or enjoy living in a dumpster while I hire some other cutey!" Then I get them to fetch me a cigar and obediently light it while I puff thick smoke into their faces. They shiver with rage, but they get the hint after that. Heh, heh, heh.. *rubs patriarchal hands*

Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
As an active and fee-paying member of the Patriarchy, one of my most enjoyable activities is to herd young women into my office and berate to them that their clothing is not revealing or sexually themed enough. Most of them accept it as they should but some have the nerve to talk back to me. I simply say something like, "Look ma'am. I heard that you're doing this job to support your dying mother. Now we both know the economy here ain't so great. So you can wear this maid outfit or enjoy living in a dumpster while I hire some other cutey!" Then I get them to fetch me a cigar and obediently light it while I puff thick smoke into their faces. They shiver with rage, but they get the hint after that. Heh, heh, heh.. *rubs patriarchal hands*

You were incomplete in that you didn't make them fetch you some coffee.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:36 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Just be thankful that you aren't a man who works for a company with a dress code that requires men to wear a tie. And be thankful that you aren't a man who works for a company with a dress code that requires a jacket or even long sleeves on the hottest days of the year.

Before the employer-types and the feminists accuse me of whining: I a very thankful that the company that I work for does not require men to wear a tie, a jacket, or even long sleeves. It has a casual dress code for both genders, which is not the norm in my field.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I have a problem with dress codes, especially anything regarding shoes or bras. I have a skin condition which makes bras extremely uncomfortable. I still wear them, because I am embarrassed not to, but it makes me so angry that I have to put myself through that every day for no good reason. Breasts are not that scary.
Sorry to hear about your skin condition. While I do feel that you should be granted some sort of exception, what about employers that require men to wear a tie that chokes them every day, and a jacket every day no matter how hot it is, both for no good reason? A man's neck and arms aren't so scary.

Quote:
I also can't wear any kind of heel because of foot problems (I'm old, that's why I have all these problems), and actually heels are very unhealthy for feet. A dress code that says I have to wear something that causes lasting damage to my feet and makes it too painful to walk makes me really angry and frustrated.
Do any employers actually have a dress code requiring women to wear high heels? I find that very hard to believe.

Quote:
At my current workplace we don't have much of a dress code, so I wear comfortable shoes and the most comfortable bra I can find (usually some kind of jog bra), usually with a simple cotton dress, but I don't know what I'd do if I had to work in a place that required a more formal look.
Like I said, I am thankful that my employer has a casual dress code for both genders. I would also hate to work for an employer that requires a more formal look. But it's something I'll have to do if I ever lose this job. It's a shame that employers care more about image than ability to do the job. The fact that they require anybody of either gender to wear attire that hinders your ability to do the job (hard to focus on a job when you are wearing a tie and can barely breathe) shows that they are more interested in image.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Dress codes for both men and women are fine.

While on the clock, the company has a great deal of control over employees. They can dictate what a person does, how they speak, and what they wear. If you don't like a particular company's method of doing business, look elsewhere for a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment