Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM

7,024 posts, read 7,116,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't disagree with what you say. However, I do want to weigh in on the hostile work environment prohibition, which isn't about clothing per se but about actions.

It doesn't matter what a woman wears. The only thing that matters is how she feels in the workplace. If she feels harassment or hostility, then it is the duty of the managers to fix the problem so she does not feel harassment or hostility.

Men: you have no defense. It is not about what you did or did not do, it is about how a woman feels in the workplace.

If a woman feels you leering or staring at her, it does not matter what she is wearing. She could be wearing a Burkha, or she could be wearing a very revealing outfit - it does not matter. All that matters is how she feels about your behaviour.

Moreover, most every company has a policy against sexual harassment and sexual discrimination in the workplace. Men, if you are accused of contributing to a hostile work environment, your employer can and probably will hang you out to dry. Your employer probably will not defend you in court.

It does not matter what a woman wears or how she behaves. So don't look at women in the workplace even if they dress immodestly in your opinion. Your opinion is irrelevant.
Why do you support laws that are so one sided? Don't you feel it is wrong that a man can have his entire career ruined by an innocent comment that is misinterpreted, or even by a completely false accusation?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Tell that to the OP then.
The poster you are responding seems to believe that "life isn't fair" is only a valid excuse when men are the ones being treated unfairly.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

My whole point is to hit private businesses where it hurts: in the wallet. If a restaurant, bar, or club loses business to others with a more comfortable dress code, they may be forced to change their dress code. If a private school loses the top students to schools with more comfortable dress codes, they may be forced to change their dress code. If an employer loses the best employees to employers with more comfortable dress codes, they may be forced to change their dress codes. Has nothing at all to do with public policy. If they choose to lose money (or lose employees, or get lower test scores) just to prove a point with an uncomfortable dress code for men, then that is their prerogative. But nobody is going to force me to patronize such businesses.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-24-2016 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,760,768 times
Don't like the dress code? Find a new job! Many jobs have a dress code. Welcome to being an adult!

Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,342,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A company has a right require a standard. It used to be that people knew what was appropriate for work and other occasions, but now, many people were seemingly raised by wolves.
Here in Savannah, there was just an uproar when the school board considered implementing a dress code for teachers. Of course, there was an uproar and so nothing happened. So now we get to see another year of fat teachers in stretch pants and freakish hair styles. Not a good example for students.
I've noticed the teachers dress around here is all over the board. I've seen dresses, dress pants, and skirts, and I've seen spandex, shorts, and arm sleeve tattoos. I don't have an issue with tattoos in general, but if I can't show a tiny one, it seems odd to me that there are zero rules for teachers on that. Both are public service type jobs and pay in the same ball-park. The teacher is far more likely to influence the younger generation than I am.

I feel like a lot of dress code requirements should go without saying. But, like you said, raised by wolves... There isn't a lot of "common" sense out there it seems.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,158,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You can try to outlaw it if you'd like, but I'm pretty sure that's been tried and never worked before.
Outlaw what?...Im not a lawmaker.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,158,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
If you feel it is such an advantage to be a woman in the United States, you can change genders. Barring that, much of what you've said is just the same tired old excuses for disclaiming male privilege and vacuously trying to tramp-shame women for making choices for themselves that a man personally would rather be able to dictate. Such complaints are as ridiculous as claiming that the men complaining are just upset that they have fewer opportunities to expect sexual favors in return for advancement and other benefits women actually deserve solely from the good work they do.
True...and all of what you said is just the same ol butt hurt belly aching about the big bad male patriarchy, of which you cherry pick when and where you have a problem with the advantages and disadvantages it affords you. Such complaints are as ridiculous as women complaining about not making equal pay as men even when there are mountains of evidence showing that they dont even work the same amount of hours as men.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,772,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
True...and all of what you said is just the same ol butt hurt belly aching about the big bad male patriarchy, of which you cherry pick when and where you have a problem with the advantages and disadvantages it affords you.
Nonsense. Privilege is real even though those with privilege jump through ridiculous hoops to shield themselves from being able to admit it. We would have a substantially more just society if it weren't for the tacit ratification of institutionalized injustice by those too enamored of the advantages they have to admit that they reflect an unjust system. Such tacit ratification is little better than outright sexism, racism, etc.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,501,156 times
I work from home. I"m currently wearing a nightshirt over my jeans before I head out to water my plants during the conference call.

Problem solved.

My old boss gave up on videoconferencing when I showed up on screen in my big, oversized bathrobe too many times.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
True...and all of what you said is just the same ol butt hurt belly aching about the big bad male patriarchy, of which you cherry pick when and where you have a problem with the advantages and disadvantages it affords you. Such complaints are as ridiculous as women complaining about not making equal pay as men even when there are mountains of evidence showing that they dont even work the same amount of hours as men.
Exactly! My problem is that these gender-based double standards are accepted by society only when they favor women. A perfect example is that it's legal to charge men more for car insurance or for life insurance, but it's illegal to charge women more for health insurance or to give women lower payout on an annuity. The scariest thing is how men seem to support these double standards, including a certain male poster who decided to diagnose me as "neurotic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment