Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:29 PM

47 posts, read 71,683 times

Advertisements

I love working out fitness has recently become a big part of my life and personal training and becoming a you-tube entrepreneur has come to my mind often once I gain more muscle mass on my body. I also have an interest in acting/theater it would be awesome if I could be an actor one day. However I know for a fact that this type of work is risky and we all need money right? Right now I am faced with the dilemma of finding a "backup plan" or something that is going to pay my finances in order to provide food in my mouth and a roof over my head so that I can even live in order to pursue these goals and dreams that I have. People are telling me that if I don't get a decent paying job it is going to make the road harder. For example if I were to become a mcdonalds employee which is minimum wage I would probably have a very hard time becoming an actor unless I lived with a few roommates or worked more than one job. But if I got a better paying job I could atleast afford a living while doing it. What are your thoughts on this I need people with the entrepreneur mindset. I am currently looking at Firefighting because it is good pay and they work 24 hours on and 48 hours off. With a 1 day on work and 2 day off work schedule you would have plenty of free time to do things.

Moderator note: Another thread on the same topic has been merged with this one.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-19-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
I'll give you my initial thoughts:

Personal trainers are a dime a dozen. Pay is low until you get a regular and established client list, which may never happen.

So you want to take a job in which there is a real possibility that you could fall through a roof or through a floor collapse, and burn or suffocate to death, because you like the days off schedule? Re assess and let someone who wants to be a firefighter take that firefighting job, because you do not want to be a firefighter.

Be a waiter like every other aspiring actor.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'll give you my initial thoughts:

Personal trainers are a dime a dozen. Pay is low until you get a regular and established client list, which may never happen.

So you want to take a job in which there is a real possibility that you could fall through a roof or through a floor collapse, and burn or suffocate to death, because you like the days off schedule? Re assess and let someone who wants to be a firefighter take that firefighting job, because you do not want to be a firefighter.

Be a waiter like every other aspiring actor.
I am hoping to find something that pays well that will also allow me to pursue my goals in life. Where did you get waiter from? That job would not pay anything.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 PM

Default Good Job Reccomendations???

My goals in life are to become an entrepreneur I really am into passive income. For people who don't know what passive income is it is simply a source of income that is continuously generated without you having to keep maintaining work upon it. So for example if I spent 6 months writing a book and it became successful and sold copies for the next 10 years making me 20 thousand dollars a year that would be 20 thousand dollars of passive income a year for the next 10 years. And usually a successful book will make much more than 20 thousand, this was just an example.

My interests in life are film/theater and working out I would love to start my own you-tube channel and start filming videos and get into some acting gigs and hopefully get myself an acting career eventually. However I was not born with a silver spoon. During my pursuit of these goals I am going to have to pay bills which means work at a job in order to provide. What are some good jobs that I can pick that would allow me the freedom to do these things. I was thinking about choosing firefighter as a career because firefighters get paid 40k annual salary which is a nice living and they work 24 hours on shift and 48 hours off so 1 day on 2 days off. This would give me plenty of free time to do the things I want in life and also pursue my dreams. However someone told me "So you want to take a job in which there is a real possibility that you could fall through a roof or through a floor collapse, and burn or suffocate to death, because you like the days off schedule? Re assess and let someone who wants to be a firefighter take that firefighting job, because you do not want to be a firefighter. Be a waiter like every other aspiring actor." Now this doesnt make sense to me because on a waiters salary I would need a roommate because working 2-3 jobs is not an option because that would sacrifice my free time and I would need that to make my dreams work. Yes I do believe I don't really want or have any desire to be a firefighter and I am just selecting it because of the free time that the job comes with. What are some other options. I think it would be one hell of a struggle to be poor all of the time and having to live with roommates.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,453,137 times
Good luck!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
I don't know what your educational background is, but without certain degrees (STEM) or job experience/training, your options are quite limited in achieving a good enough income to sustain yourself until you become the next big youtube star or movie actor (no guarantee of achieving any success financially there either, you know the odds of any person becoming a movie star in Hollywood).

You mention becoming a firefighter, you almost make it sound as if it's as simple as walking into a firehouse and applying and getting a job. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Becoming a firefighter can be a long and hard road, with a long application/hiring process. You need proper education/training/experience, and you have to take tests and do all those things, and even then it's no guarantee.

Fire Science Degrees & Careers | How to Become a Firefighter

You come across as a very hostile/aggressive personality from your posts. If you want proper advice and guidance, then you need to give more details about your personal situation. What is your age. What is your educational background. What is your job experience.

How can anyone here advise you on what course to take with your life, when you provide no such details and in effect seem to be tooting your own horn here about what a driven individual you are destined for greatness?

Old 08-19-2016, 05:53 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
What schools are you considering for your acting degree?

What qualifications have you acquired to become a firefighter?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:08 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
My goals in life are to become an entrepreneur I really am into passive income. For people who don't know what passive income is it is simply a source of income that is continuously generated without you having to keep maintaining work upon it. So for example if I spent 6 months writing a book and it became successful and sold copies for the next 10 years making me 20 thousand dollars a year that would be 20 thousand dollars of passive income a year for the next 10 years. And usually a successful book will make much more than 20 thousand, this was just an example.
A friend of mine wrote a book a couple years ago - it was relatively successful and for a while topped more than a few lists on Amazon.com. She was able to parlay that success into a well-known blog and weekly podcast.

She has made nowhere near $20K per year, and probably hasn't even made $20K since the release of the book or creation of the blog/podcast. But it does continue give her a bit of pocket money to take the kids out to the movies a couple times a month.

She still works a full-time in IT and the book/blog/podcast are strictly side projects since they do not generate enough income to support her family.

And she's considered a successful writer/blogger/podcaster.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:18 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post

My interests in life are film/theater and working out I would love to start my own you-tube channel and start filming videos and get into some acting gigs and hopefully get myself an acting career eventually. However I was not born with a silver spoon. During my pursuit of these goals I am going to have to pay bills which means work at a job in order to provide. What are some good jobs that I can pick that would allow me the freedom to do these things. I was thinking about choosing firefighter as a career because firefighters get paid 40k annual salary which is a nice living and they work 24 hours on shift and 48 hours off so 1 day on 2 days off. This would give me plenty of free time to do the things I want in life and also pursue my dreams. However someone told me "So you want to take a job in which there is a real possibility that you could fall through a roof or through a floor collapse, and burn or suffocate to death, because you like the days off schedule? Re assess and let someone who wants to be a firefighter take that firefighting job, because you do not want to be a firefighter. Be a waiter like every other aspiring actor." Now this doesnt make sense to me because on a waiters salary I would need a roommate because working 2-3 jobs is not an option because that would sacrifice my free time and I would need that to make my dreams work. Yes I do believe I don't really want or have any desire to be a firefighter and I am just selecting it because of the free time that the job comes with. What are some other options. I think it would be one hell of a struggle to be poor all of the time and having to live with roommates.
There is no job you can get that pays a lot of money but doesn't require a lot of work, especially when you are starting out. Try finding a job you actually want to do instead.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,293,894 times
If your passions include fitness you should consider taking some exercise science classes and learning as much as you can about it. You could start a fitness Youtube channel either giving advice, showing workouts, etc, etc. People can make a living this way if they generate a large enough following. The key would be developing an on camera personality that attracted an audience and finding ways to build that audience. Your theater background may also help here. You can use Youtube in conjunction with your own website as well as podcasts and have members subscribe through a service like Patreon. The key would be providing some subscriber exclusive content. If you have a large enough following you can also begin to sell ads.

Nothing I suggest here is easy, but it is certainly possible. If you wanted to succeed this way the key would be figuring out how to offer something unique. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment