Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:04 PM

242 posts, read 246,319 times

Advertisements

Did they also take your red swing line stapler??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,398,629 times
I worked for a Fortune 100 company that no longer exists (broken up and sold off to mostly international firms). I also worked for a gigantic national retailer that was swallowed up by another one. Finally I worked for a family-owned business operating in two states that went bankrupt during the recent recession. So I know all the signs of companies in financial trouble. You are working for one.

I also used to work for a rock band so I know there are very good ear plugs that no one can see if you grow your hair to cover your ears. Or get noise-cancelling headphones if you're allowed to wear something so obviously anti-collaborative. Get some of those to wear while you write your resume. (You might want to point out to them that Dr. Dre is worth half a billion dollars.)

Also, there are plenty of insulated bags being sold these days in which you can take food and beverages to work and they will stay either hot or cold.
PackIt® Freezable Uptown Lunch Bag - 8115581 | HSN

Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,302,495 times
When I was a kid, the "open concept" was the fad in schools, meaning the entire grades would be in a room together with only thin accordion walls on 2 sides and 1 outside wall. You could hear everything. The parents kept saying it was a horrible idea & not like their schools.

I often think of that when I hear of these open office concepts. I, for one, cannot function in a cubicle environment, let alone less than that. You are a programmer and you need quiet.

The bathroom issue seems to be unhealthy and possibly not up to code.

The lunch stuff, yeah, it sucks, but you could deal with that by not eating there. I had a situation where it was unsanitary/unavailable, so I brought everything in a cooler, including my own silverware, and brought it home to wash. I brought a cloth napkin too and bento--made it sorta special to help me get through the day.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,666,769 times
Hey BigDGeek,

I sympathize with you greatly about your situation. I was in your shoes a year ago. I'm also a programmer and used to work in an open office plan similar to the one you describe. The desks basically had no walls except for the monitors in front of you. Otherwise, you could see peoples' faces in your peripheral vision. The design of the place was so strange to me. They would put these little lamps in between each desk that don't even make sense being there and don't create any sort of wall or barrier either. It was almost like some moron interior designer went drunk with some abstract design idea and got so carried away that they forgot to make it functional.

I remember how much I complained about this environment with my friends and family when I would leave work. I used to have to take bathroom breaks or sneak out the office for lunch or a phone call just so I could escape hearing peoples' coughs, phones, little noises you can hear when you're 3 feet from someone, the loud guy in the office who never shuts up, the constant stream of noise since there are no walls anywhere whatsoever, the feeling that people are always staring at your screen because you have no privacy, the feeling that people are staring at you because you have no privacy, and not being able to concentrate on programming. I don't miss it one bit and never will.

I'm so happy I moved on to a job where I work at home every single day. I found my job on Stackoverflow.com (if you're a programmer you've probably heard of this site). You may be able to find a remote job on there like I did. I was ecstatic to finally leave that dump a year ago and now I get to work in the comfort of my own apartment every single day. No dealing with stupid work environments or annoying coworkers. I still work with them but it is through a chatroom or GoToMeeting every time. I never have to commute either. I will never work in an office again. I don't think the open office fad will ever go away because the true reason every office does it now is to save money. If they didn't save money from it they wouldn't do it. Period. It's always about money. The collaboration BS is just an excuse like others said. That place you work at sounds like a dump and I would encourage you to find a remote job on SO. Programmers don't seem to be treated well at those places anymore. I can tell you my quality of life has improved greatly.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,940,214 times
My company is looking to co-locate everyone into one big huge building, and there are rumblings about this open concept. I don't think I've ever read of ANYONE who thinks its a positive environment.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,468,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
They are still building and making changes. This is a new building, and things are different. It can be completely different in 6 months to a year, when they are truly settled into the new building. What it is like now, is not an indication of what it will be like in the future.
It'll be worse as once the rest of the building is done, there will be a cafeteria offering "healthy choices" for employees at lower costs. No word on whether fridges or microwaves will continue to exist in the building. They were added only after a ton of uproar, some from Senior Vice Presidents used to brown-bagging it and nuking their morning oatmeal at work. We also have a large number of Indian employees and in my experience, Indians are even more likely to bring their lunches. They don't eat cold lunches so they're some of the biggest users of microwaves. (No problem there...I agree with and also practice that kind of thrift.) From 11 to 1pm, you see people dashing around clutching tupperware and desperately looking for a microwave with a line less than 10 people deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No it won't, the problems are too severe to be fixed. Also, if they truly intend to fix the issues, then why move them to the new site so early. Saving a few months of rent is not worth the cost of losing valueable employees.

You do not need to be a plumber to know that 8 toilets for hundreds of employees is not enough. And construction do not prevent them from buying more microwaves and fridges. These issues show they do not care. I do not think they want their employees to quit, they could be in financial trouble or managments has gone crazy.

Even if you stay, the company can collapse at any moment. I would suggest to find another job.
Yup, that's my takeaway too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hey BigDGeek,

I sympathize with you greatly about your situation. I was in your shoes a year ago. I'm also a programmer and used to work in an open office plan similar to the one you describe. The desks basically had no walls except for the monitors in front of you. Otherwise, you could see peoples' faces in your peripheral vision. The design of the place was so strange to me. They would put these little lamps in between each desk that don't even make sense being there and don't create any sort of wall or barrier either. It was almost like some moron interior designer went drunk with some abstract design idea and got so carried away that they forgot to make it functional.

I remember how much I complained about this environment with my friends and family when I would leave work. I used to have to take bathroom breaks or sneak out the office for lunch or a phone call just so I could escape hearing peoples' coughs, phones, little noises you can hear when you're 3 feet from someone, the loud guy in the office who never shuts up, the constant stream of noise since there are no walls anywhere whatsoever, the feeling that people are always staring at your screen because you have no privacy, the feeling that people are staring at you because you have no privacy, and not being able to concentrate on programming. I don't miss it one bit and never will.

I'm so happy I moved on to a job where I work at home every single day. I found my job on Stackoverflow.com (if you're a programmer you've probably heard of this site). You may be able to find a remote job on there like I did. I was ecstatic to finally leave that dump a year ago and now I get to work in the comfort of my own apartment every single day. No dealing with stupid work environments or annoying coworkers. I still work with them but it is through a chatroom or GoToMeeting every time. I never have to commute either. I will never work in an office again. I don't think the open office fad will ever go away because the true reason every office does it now is to save money. If they didn't save money from it they wouldn't do it. Period. It's always about money. The collaboration BS is just an excuse like others said. That place you work at sounds like a dump and I would encourage you to find a remote job on SO. Programmers don't seem to be treated well at those places anymore. I can tell you my quality of life has improved greatly.
A 100% telecommute job is my DREAM. I would so love to find something like that.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:59 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,710,326 times
Done well open office interiors encourage collaboration and creativity. Done badly, like you describe yours, it is full circle back to the 1950's boiler room office space.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:19 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Done well open office interiors encourage collaboration and creativity. Done badly, like you describe yours, it is full circle back to the 1950's boiler room office space.
My question is, how can you ever do one well? Esp when the work product requires long periods of dedicated concentration?

Funny thing, I was reading an article today about collaboration spaces in an architectural pub and they are already rethinking away from current space open plan design to a new version. Key things in the new version: more, yet smaller and more intimate spaces where conversations can take place. Closely located to microwave/fridge and even kitchens. Also away from the giant open bays that run the length of the building into smaller bays separated by other spaces. Still open, but moving away from the giant spaces.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,468,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My question is, how can you ever do one well? Esp when the work product requires long periods of dedicated concentration?

Funny thing, I was reading an article today about collaboration spaces in an architectural pub and they are already rethinking away from current space open plan design to a new version. Key things in the new version: more, yet smaller and more intimate spaces where conversations can take place. Closely located to microwave/fridge and even kitchens. Also away from the giant open bays that run the length of the building into smaller bays separated by other spaces. Still open, but moving away from the giant spaces.
I get my best work done at home. Seriously.

With Skype I can talk to people all day long and can share my screen, so I don't have to be physically in the office to A.) communicate or B.) show people what I'm working on.

In fact I do about 90% of my work in collaboration with one coworker who sits next to me or a business analyst who sits cattycorner to me. Sometimes, we all three work from home on the same day (we're currently allowed to work from home only one day per week). Those are by far the most productive days for all of us.

Today I decided to log on after my workout because my husband's out tonight. I worked another two hours and got stuff done that would have taken all day in the office.

If I could do this job 100% from home, I'd never quit. I literally never need to go to the office to do my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment