Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,749,368 times

Advertisements

I think quality of life like economic conditions (hand in hand) move in cycles. I do believe technology advances, free trade, tax policies and most importantly explosive global population increases is what is currently putting pressure on the American worker. No one ever said life is fair because it most certainly is not so you will have winners & losers throughout society as always.

Some things today are easier & some things in years past were easier. I do feel there has been a moral decay in the fabric of society with greed overcoming values in search of higher materialism. It seems there was a greater concern for one's fellow man in years past, not to say there are not concerned citizens today but it seems the percentage has shrunk.

In a nutshell, it is what it is and whatever situation you are in you have to do your best to maintain a positive attitude and keep fighting the good fight for the life you want because before you even have a chance to blink it will be over....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 PM

283 posts, read 199,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Job listings are made to psych people out so they count themselves out and there's less work for HR to do. Many times so many skills are listed that NO ONE has them all - HR just hopes they can find one person to fill 3 roles and pay just one salary.

So - apply for whatever job YOU want and make THEM rule you out. It takes little effort for you to apply. I'm not saying apply to nuclear physicist jobs if you're an art major - but take a risk and be confident that your skills are enough even if you only have 3 or 4 years of experience but they're asking for 5 - you know?
Totally agree. I look at the requirements for the advertised position and am amazed. Who the hell possess all these skills and qualities, impossible.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:55 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,800,437 times
The selected applicant may not have all the requirements, but they have the right ones. The reason the companies put in so many requirements is to keep the applications down to a manageable number, because without them showing, they would get so many applications with very few having anywhere near the qualifications they will accept for the job it would take weeks to sort them out.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,193,712 times
Always have openings, you train and it pays 75-100k????

I find this so hard to believe.

Please direct message me a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
This is absolutely right. My company employees trade labor in 3 Western states. We almost always have openings and no degree is required. Once trained on our processes and procedures, you can make $75K easily, and the guys who really bust their butt make over $100K. I want to repeat that we almost always have openings and struggle to get applicants.

Not really true in general. See above. And it is true of all our competitors too. There is simply a shortage of skilled trade workers here. Perhaps it is regional, but we have the same problem in Seattle as we do in LA.

Many of these positions may not technically require a degree, but because so many applicants have a degree, they get hired over someone who doesn't. The list is pretty outdated too.

College isn't for everyone, but it also doesn't guarantee a huge loan after graduation. College remains an investment in your future that will pay dividends. You can do two years at a community college for approximately $300 for a 3 credit course. Very affordable! if you don't have the money, you just take less courses each semester.

The other point here is that successful people will move to where the jobs are. If you live in backwater USA and there are no jobs, get yourself on a bus to somewhere that has jobs.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 AM

I do find it funny how companies that have entry level positions that in years past did not require a degree are now requiring one. The problem is the people with a degree usually do not last long because they never truly stop looking for a career which will compensate them for the expense of obtaining the degree.

My personal experience is that I have found employees hired that do not have a degree seem to work harder and have higher standards than those I've hired with a degree. It's unfortunate the position workers find themselves in & I completely understand, you take out student loans and put the time in to get a degree to find out the jobs just aren't there. Better get some better leadership in our country to create more jobs to handle the overflow of population needs.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,937,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I do find it funny how companies that have entry level positions that in years past did not require a degree are now requiring one. The problem is the people with a degree usually do not last long because they never truly stop looking for a career which will compensate them for the expense of obtaining the degree.

My personal experience is that I have found employees hired that do not have a degree seem to work harder and have higher standards than those I've hired with a degree. It's unfortunate the position workers find themselves in & I completely understand, you take out student loans and put the time in to get a degree to find out the jobs just aren't there. Better get some better leadership in our country to create more jobs to handle the overflow of population needs.

I think only 30%? of the US population has a bachelors degree. And even at that percentage, there are not enough jobs to absorb them all.

Most people just need a trade of some kind. Not so much a liberal arts education.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think only 30%? of the US population has a bachelors degree. And even at that percentage, there are not enough jobs to absorb them all.

Most people just need a trade of some kind. Not so much a liberal arts education.
I agree that trades and services are about all that is left since we have outsourced so many manufacturing jobs.

We have certainly become a "do want a credit card to save 10%" work force.

Without getting into a political discussion/ debate as I do not like Hillary or Trump and feel our country is facing tough times ahead....I do feel we need to get a handle on favorable trade agreements and tax issues while making progress on our national debt.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 AM

158 posts, read 99,244 times
That's thinking inside the box. I know I though we needed to pay on the national debt too. Then one day I heard Trump say we can "restructure" it using leverages of other things we provide the countries we owe. Never thought about that but it's true. We give them all our jobs, our $$ for the products they now make, our military protection, humanitarian "aid", etc and WE OWE THEM $$$??

Love him of hate him, the man has unique ideas that get the noodle going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment