Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 AM

901 posts, read 753,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Jesus, this crap again. Have you even worked a real job in your life? All you do is post stupid inflaming posts about how terrible the work world is. I bet you haven't even been in the workplace for more than a year. How would you know what it was like 100 years ago? Were yo born then? Were you of working age back then? I suppose not.

My advice - stop being a damn loser and adapt to the world today not to the world as you wish it were. I really doubt things were so much better 100 years ago, but what do I know. I wasn't alive back then. But you obviously know exactly how things were. What a doofus.
OP's tour is over, he's not gonna make it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 03:56 AM

901 posts, read 753,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Honestly, get a trade job. Be trained as a plumber, electrician, elevator repair. You get the idea. These jobs are always available, you can work for yourself, and they can't be replaced by a computer. You can work in a big city or a small city.

I know two guys who do handyman type stuff. They have never NOT been working. People today cannot fix anything. Once, one of the guys was called because the lady said her electricity wasn't working. He ended up changing a LIGHT BULB.
The only people making money in the trades are the Contractors and the people that own their own business, everyone else not so much. If you're going to do a trade don't get old, you'll find yourself struggling in midlife without a backup career

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,968,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
The only people making money in the trades are the Contractors and the people that own their own business, everyone else not so much. If you're going to do a trade don't get old, you'll find yourself struggling in midlife without a backup career
All the guys I know who went into the trades shortly after high school all have their own homes in nice neighborhoods by late 20s early 30s. The people with the art history degree are still slinging coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Most people simply need a trade, not so much college. If you're not going to study something marketable like comp sci the investment isn't worth it.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 AM

21,380 posts, read 8,055,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
All the guys I know who went into the trades shortly after high school all have their own homes in nice neighborhoods by late 20s early 30s. The people with the art history degree are still slinging coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Most people simply need a trade, not so much college. If you're not going to study something marketable like comp sci the investment isn't worth it.
Exactly. The younger guy (31) is an ex-Marine, owns two homes, just finished a BS ... and is back to doing handyman stuff because it pays better than anything he can get with his science degree.

The older guy flipped houses when the market was hot. He has a younger guy working with him who does the "heavy lifting."

Marketable trade, build your business, invest wisely and you will be set for life. You won't be a millionaire but you will be comfortable.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 AM

20,711 posts, read 16,582,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Think about this. Our grandparents worked as plumbers, milkmen, assembly line workers, etc., at the same job for decades.

They didn't feel that they were owed a "cool" job. They didn't feel that they needed to live in a "trendy" city. They didn't expect promotions or raises every year (Was there even such a thing as an annual review back then?).

As for external factors, they didn't have to contend with skyrocketing housing, healthcare and education costs. 100 years ago, Americans were seeing their cost of living go down each year. You could make the same amount of money each year and that was the equivalent of a raise because your money went further. And jobs weren't being automated away and outsourced/insourced at the rate they are today.

Nowadays, the working world is absolutely insane. It's a like a bunch of rats in a cage fighting for a piece of cheese. It must be an entertaining spectacle for the people at the top.

[/rant]
Ha - you really think they ever look all the way down at the rats?! The only thought is how can we get the rats to work for less food. And the execs have 10 layers of management to take care of that for them - they are thankful there's no direct contact.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 AM

20,711 posts, read 16,582,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
I've thought about this a lot when trying to decide on a career.

Looking at job postings really discourages me... Even seeing part-time jobs/temporary ones that require X amount of experience.

I really wish I could just have a "normal" job like before. I don't care about having a cool job, I just want a simple life, as a secretary or administrative assistant, if I can.

I really hate how everyone has to go to school to make a moderately okay income to survive. I can't imagine everyone in the US getting into thousands in debt just because of education costs-- Then it's still not enough sometimes to get a job.

I know what the trendy cities are, but I have no idea what the cool jobs are now. I slightly feel the pressure to live in/near a trendy city because... well, I don't think I can find friends or a significant other living in small towns forever. I live in a small town now and almost my entire graduating class is gone after 3 years, mostly in other states.
Job listings are made to psych people out so they count themselves out and there's less work for HR to do. Many times so many skills are listed that NO ONE has them all - HR just hopes they can find one person to fill 3 roles and pay just one salary.

So - apply for whatever job YOU want and make THEM rule you out. It takes little effort for you to apply. I'm not saying apply to nuclear physicist jobs if you're an art major - but take a risk and be confident that your skills are enough even if you only have 3 or 4 years of experience but they're asking for 5 - you know?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,913,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Job listings are made to psych people out so they count themselves out and there's less work for HR to do. Many times so many skills are listed that NO ONE has them all - HR just hopes they can find one person to fill 3 roles and pay just one salary.

So - apply for whatever job YOU want and make THEM rule you out. It takes little effort for you to apply. I'm not saying apply to nuclear physicist jobs if you're an art major - but take a risk and be confident that your skills are enough even if you only have 3 or 4 years of experience but they're asking for 5 - you know?
This is very true, nobody is 100% qualified. If you are, then you are looking down yourself.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,049,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Honestly, get a trade job. Be trained as a plumber, electrician, elevator repair. You get the idea. These jobs are always available, you can work for yourself, and they can't be replaced by a computer. You can work in a big city or a small city.

I know two guys who do handyman type stuff. They have never NOT been working. People today cannot fix anything. Once, one of the guys was called because the lady said her electricity wasn't working. He ended up changing a LIGHT BULB.
This is absolutely right. My company employees trade labor in 3 Western states. We almost always have openings and no degree is required. Once trained on our processes and procedures, you can make $75K easily, and the guys who really bust their butt make over $100K. I want to repeat that we almost always have openings and struggle to get applicants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Not really true in general. See above. And it is true of all our competitors too. There is simply a shortage of skilled trade workers here. Perhaps it is regional, but we have the same problem in Seattle as we do in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The truth is, that money only goes so far, no matter where you live. Take the median wage (half earn more and half earn less) which is the best measure of the economy and employment in the area. Adjust each state's median wage to the cost of living for the area, and you come up with how good a place that state is to live in. Lets take the 10 best, and 10 worst states. Our two biggest states, find that Texas is the 5th best state to earn a living in. And you further find, that California is the 5th worst states to make a living in.

Best States to Make a Living from MoneyRates.com

When some posters are saying, move to a higher paying state for more income. The truth often is, go to a state with a lower pay scale, and end up with more disposable income. In one state though it pays less money, may be possible to own a home and prosper. At the same time in the higher paying state, you may have a hard time struggling there, and can hardly afford to live in the apartment yuu live in, and you positively will not be able to afford to own a home.

35 high-paying jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree - Business Insider

Here are 10 that pay over $100,000 per year if you are any good.

10 Jobs That Pay $100K and Up - Without a College Degree! - GI Jobs

I was #2 on the second list, an Investment real estate broker from 1972 till I finally retired. I can tell you, that the best ones like I was fit that category easily.

All of those jobs shown on those two sites, make a lot more money than a lot of people that go to college and end up with a degree that does not pay much more than McDonald's.

The thing to think about, is if you want a job that will support you decently, you need to be selective in your choice, and you have to pick an area with a cost of living that will allow you to live well on the salary you earn.
Many of these positions may not technically require a degree, but because so many applicants have a degree, they get hired over someone who doesn't. The list is pretty outdated too.

College isn't for everyone, but it also doesn't guarantee a huge loan after graduation. College remains an investment in your future that will pay dividends. You can do two years at a community college for approximately $300 for a 3 credit course. Very affordable! if you don't have the money, you just take less courses each semester.

The other point here is that successful people will move to where the jobs are. If you live in backwater USA and there are no jobs, get yourself on a bus to somewhere that has jobs.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:54 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,443,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Think about this. Our grandparents worked as plumbers, milkmen, assembly line workers, etc., at the same job for decades.

They didn't feel that they were owed a "cool" job. They didn't feel that they needed to live in a "trendy" city. They didn't expect promotions or raises every year (Was there even such a thing as an annual review back then?).

As for external factors, they didn't have to contend with skyrocketing housing, healthcare and education costs. 100 years ago, Americans were seeing their cost of living go down each year. You could make the same amount of money each year and that was the equivalent of a raise because your money went further. And jobs weren't being automated away and outsourced/insourced at the rate they are today.

Nowadays, the working world is absolutely insane. It's a like a bunch of rats in a cage fighting for a piece of cheese. It must be an entertaining spectacle for the people at the top.

[/rant]
I looked up inflation rates on Historical Inflation Rate- Annual Inflation rates from 1913 to the present |InflationData.com and 100 years ago was 1916. Inflation for 1916 ran between 3% to 12% so your contention I bolded is incorrect. Inflation rates today are actually lower today than 100 years ago.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,002,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Around 1916, my grandmother dropped out of second grade and went to work in a box factory, then did housecleaning. She was close to illiterate. It was all legal then.
in 1896, my mother's father went into the coal mines with his father at the age of nine. He used to tell a story about working in the mine when my great-grandfather shouted "Get down!", shoved him to the floor of the mine and laid on top of him just before a wall of fire passed over them.

He died in 1960, and his body was shot from a life spent underground -- cancer, lung problems, joint problems. Hectic as today's world might be, there's no way I'd choose to go back to those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment