Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM

7,516 posts, read 4,766,349 times

Advertisements

Damn those foreigners stealing our jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 PM

3,781 posts, read 4,280,196 times
I told my boss to go to hades and then retired. Does that count

Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,518,174 times
I was once fired from a professional job but asked to give two months' notice "because I'm short of staff and I need you." I rashly said, "I'd rather hook in the street than work for you, I'm out of here today." That boss made a false report to the licensing agency, saying that I was alcoholic and drug-addicted, made up a bunch of supposed statements (not actions) and I had to defend my license to the board. It was a terrifying time in life, because I have an unusual last name and my professional world is rather connected. I thought I'd be unemployable, and did run into some roadblocks due to rumors of my supposed addictions. I paid for that statement big time, although did and still do feel I couldn't work with people who wanted to believe these things.

On the other hand, when I got in my car to leave, the radio was playing "Take This Job and Shove It," which I took as a little sign from the universe.

Would I do it again? I'd quit that day- too dangerous a job to work without trust- but wouldn't mouth off.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,023,230 times
To answer the question: no.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,053,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Must be nice! Two-income households are way better.

No, I have not told off a boss then quit.
Same here. I'm single and if I don't work I don't eat.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,627,007 times
I did it, sort of, and fortunately got a job offer a few days later.
I wouldn't say I "told off" my boss, because I wasn't disrespectful, didn't curse or personally insult him, etc.

But finally, when my new manager at a job (hired specifically to "clean up shop" I've been told) called me in for yet another bullying session/b.s. "writing me up for a bogus reason", for about the 3rd time, instead of kissing up to him like I usually did, trying to "make nice", being super polite and conciliatory in an attempt to "keep my job", I simply, respectfully, directly, told it like it is, albeit in professional language.

When my manager snidely said, "Maybe you should start looking for another place to work", I responded that "clearly I am looking, and I also added that I can find another place to work, it's not that difficult to find a relatively low-paying social service job in the city. I like my current job, having been here for 3 years, but if need be, rest assured, I can find another job".

He appeared shocked (not sure why!), and asked me why, if I like the job, do I think that "it hasn't been working out for the last 6 months or so".

I immediately responded that I did well my first 2 1/2 years there, with excellent performance reviews from supervisors (all 3 of them), excellent ratings from my clients, in fact I was perhaps one of the most well-liked and well-respected workers by clients and supervisors alike.
It is only in the past 6 months that I have been experiencing these "meetings" and "write-ups".

So my only conclusion is: the only thing that changed in the past 6 months is the management (aforementioned supervisors were also fired/pushed out), so I have to conclude that that is the reason for the change in tone and my experience there: is that new management has become punitive and unsupportive.

(Again, he appeared shocked! He knows he was hired specifically to fire/harass me and a few other workers - I learned that later from others in the know. Did he think I didn't pick up on that? Why did he think I wouldn't be honest when asked what the problem was?)

In any case, I resigned the next day, because, fortunately, I got a higher-paying job offer.
Oddly they seemed slightly annoyed/irritated by my resignation (not sure why because they were clearly trying to get me out), and insisted on my giving a full 30 days notice, as is in my contract. No probem, I said.

Oh and I did make sure to tell clients exactly WHY I was leaving before I did leave. (THAT didn't go over too well with management, not surprisingly!)

Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,949,120 times
I do it everyday because the boss is too cheap to shell out the kind of money you need to attract better workers who will show up on a regular basis. The boss could easily can me for leaving on time. But I know he won't because I'm one of the few that show up on a regular basis.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,043,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Had you trained or gone through the motions of training the person, you would have collected full unemployment benefits on them and cause their unemployment tax rate to increase. But, now you get squat. Really showed them didn't you?
Maybe her personal job satisfaction wasn't available for purchase? Everyone isn't motivated by money when it comes to standing up for what they believe in. I'd much rather lose a welfare state benefit like Unemployment and hold my head high knowing that I stood up for my principles.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 AM

9,889 posts, read 11,829,098 times
Years ago, I worked for a top end department store as a furniture salesperson. I was earning in today's dollars between $125,000 to $150,000 each year as I was good at it.

The division manager, insisted that I take a paid position in a management position, as the thought I would have been a great person for that job. Problem, it only paid a third of what I was earning on commission. I told him no. He told me I had to take the new job, and I was being replaced in the furniture department. I told him what I thought of him for his treatment of me, and quit on the spot.

Went home, and called a friend who got me an appointment with the manager of a 4 store furniture company. I told him what had happened and what I did, and he said he was glad as they were having a hard time finding a quality furniture man and here I walked in was like a great gift to his company. I went to work the next day. All furniture salespeople were with the company 12 or more years, but one was retiring who I replaced. Best move I could have made, as my income went up to $150,000 or more a year in today's dollars, and the atmosphere for a salesman was even better than the other job.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let me guess. Disgruntled former Disney employee.

The woman in question, however, probably wasn't a Disney employee. She decided to forego income, unemployment, Cobra, et al, for about ten seconds of F.U. goodness. How really stupid was that?

I think about it a decent bit. Quite frankly, it is a fantasy of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment