Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:52 AM

603 posts, read 848,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I've been a delivery boy of various sorts since getting out of college two years ago. I hate the job for many reasons, but the worst is how often I am mocked on the job. When I was delivering roses, for example, I remember a grotesque construction worker asking "Are the ROsEs FoR Me?!" and trying to humiliate me in front of his cronies.

Tonight I delivered some food to a pro athlete in an upscale apartment complex in Beverly Hills, and some members of his entourage were laughing in my face, yelling "PIZzZa MAan," like I am some clown or leper deserving to be mocked. My life is in the absolute gutter right now, and it's a shame that people not in my shoes feel like they can treat me like this.
When I was in college I played a sport and lived with my teammates. This is the reaction we had when the delivery person came because we were so hungry and excited to see them. We were never mocking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:56 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,042,007 times
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ng-menial.html

Opie you need some help bro.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:33 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,318,580 times
I know it's hard if you've been raised a certain way or have a certain view on things. You've got to figure out a way to turn what they doing into a positive. Often that way is humor. You sashay in and hold whatever you are delivering up in the air like you are crowning Miss America. Hand it to them with a flourish. They''ll appreciate the gesture and may increase your tip. Come up with ways you could have handled these in a more fun manner and practice them. Watch some comedy type movies if you need ideas and quote some of the more funny, but clean and politically correct lines if you see the opportunity. People appreciate that.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:22 AM

529 posts, read 509,905 times
Ehhh...why excuse a bunch of wankers giving the delivery person ****? if the delivery came in a reasonable time and wasn't damaged, there is no need to denigrate them. Mind you, I don't really see how the two examples in the OP were doing that. However, I am not a delivery person...maybe OP has just heard the same lame ass jokes so many times that everything now sounds like an attack on his character or something.

The only solution to dealing with ****s in the service industry (any service job where you do not have management backing you up) is to ignore them with a blank stare AND or monotone voice.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,537,635 times
Op , what is your degree in? Is delivering your main job??

Old 07-04-2016, 01:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,172,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Coupled with their natural stupidity and ignorance, they were probably high and drunk ... At least you have a job, unlike those losers who mooch off another grown male and will be living in their grandmom's/mom's Section 8 dump when their gravy train dries up.
I agree. Your working, making a living. Strive to move up of course for your future.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 922,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
The only solution to dealing with ****s in the service industry (any service job where you do not have management backing you up) is to ignore them with a blank stare AND or monotone voice.
This is pretty much it. I always used to get called things like "You must be so stupid that you work as X" and "At least I got a REAL job unlike you". It's very unpleasant and makes you hate your job. But it just comes with the territory, there's nothing you can do, you can put real effort and hard work into it and end up with a lousy customer all the same. You just have to follow the company line and be as professional as possible while people laugh in your face.

With a previous job, you even got hassle from the police. Our company worked with other companies which offered services to the general public but occasionally the police would call and try to get client details because of suspected fraud rings. They were never rude, but when they couldn't pass certain procedures which the client demanded us to follow, they could become a hassle. Took me over 10 years but I am so glad I am out of customer-facing service work, never want to do it again because of how people treat you.

Working in service jobs doesn't just mean curling up in a ball and crying while everyone laughs at you though. You still have the right to be assertive as well as professional. In fact, being stone-faced and passive is not always the most professional behavior - if someone is complaining and complaining, you can still stamp your feet and say enough's enough, this is your contract/whatever, you represent the company and you're not prepared to argue. And if people are making fun out of you over and over again, say that you are glad to represent the company but feel it would be better to leave them too it. I've turned a few laughing customers into "oh I'm very sorry" kind of customers in my time.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,815,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I've been a delivery boy of various sorts since getting out of college two years ago. I hate the job for many reasons, but the worst is how often I am mocked on the job. When I was delivering roses, for example, I remember a grotesque construction worker asking "Are the ROsEs FoR Me?!" and trying to humiliate me in front of his cronies.

Tonight I delivered some food to a pro athlete in an upscale apartment complex in Beverly Hills, and some members of his entourage were laughing in my face, yelling "PIZzZa MAan," like I am some clown or leper deserving to be mocked. My life is in the absolute gutter right now, and it's a shame that people not in my shoes feel like they can treat me like this.
so your names crybaby? haha i think that’s funny but I’m only clowning not dissing. I never see the delivery boy cuz I’m sleeping but i wouldn’t make fun of them. i think you should grow some confidence and quit taking it personally. they are only joking. We need these people cause the mailman won’t deliver the newspapers ontime anyway. learn how to stand up for yourself or give them the glare… mabie next time throw the paper in there face lol. no. good luck

Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Gotta learn the "Comebacks"

"They for me?" "No, your boyfriend said it's over and so no more roses for you" (This works with both sexes)

"Pizza Man!" "Yep, beats being your parole officer"

Crap like that...best be ready always..
OMG I'm not sure this is good advice

While I think the OP's examples are not what I would call bullying, bullying low payed employees is common in American Society.

I can't stand people who treat service workers like crap just because they think they are below them. That annoys me so much. The stupid "flip burger jokes" or "welcome to Walmart" jokes are not funny. At least those people are making an honest living. How many thieves are in million dollar homes for stealing from charities and gullible people? How about drug lords? People are so stupid sometimes.

I had a friend who always had issues with waiters, fast food workers, cashiers and anybody who was not working a white collar job. I don't know why people are like that, she wasn't even a mean person until she had to deal with service workers. It was a total transformation from regular person to Diva.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-04-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,406,679 times
Just made me think of this classic scene..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fl-FBrnkXI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment